Grimis

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Lyle Brewer

Grimis

I play guitar in Grimis. I want to say that this whole thing has gotten out of control. I am very sorry for what has been said regarding our band, for us and against us. I love the Slip, Brad Barr was one of my first guitar heroes, I have been going to their shows since I was fourteen and have always aspired to create music that is as heartfelt and honest as the Slip's. That being said, I would like to say that while I understand that people can voice their own opinions, I do feel hurt when members of this board attack our music; refering to our music as a second-rate Slip rip-off. We have also created animosity as well, as we have felt the need to defend our music to people who openly both criticize and insult Grimis and its members. I am upset with the amount of negativity that has been associated with our band and I wish to clear up any discrepancies and personal issues that may have come in the last few weeks. If at all possible, I would sincerely appreciate no more slander directed at either side and a refrain from discussion of Grimis on this message board. Our involement with this community has proved to cast a negative image of both our band and The Slip and this needs to stop. So, if there is a comment or a criticism to be had about Grimis, please post on www.grimis.com and not here.
admin
Site Admin

Negativity goes nowhere

Don't fret...frets are for guitars. This board is Moderated and that person has been dealt with. There's no reason to slam any band here. It's ok to be critical, but posts that are patently offensive will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked.

-Phrazz
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

hopefully, I won't come across as a jerk, but I'm going to play devils advocate. I myself am in a band, and when you put yourself out there, you can't expect everyone to love you. And this is an internet message board, so people are gonna speak your mind... (especially on this message board where everyone has broad music choices and tend to discuss them in a "general" comments section to get opinions from other slip fans, not just the biased Grimis fans) I've seen similar discussions about such bands as Widespread Panic, Stringcheese Incident, Disco Biscuits, etc. By putting yourself out there, you give people the right to have an opinion on your music, and while the old adage "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" should come into play, it doesn't. And if you tell everyone that says anything slightly negative about you or your music to stop every time, not only are you killing their first amendment rights, but people that might possibly like your music and get into it, are given the opinion that your band has really thin skin and not to expect much from them. Do you think Trey went on all the message boards when Phish came back from hiatus or when he was playing in the 70 volt parade and told people to stop bad mouthing his band or to only do it on his message board?? Not likely. People are going to form opinions, it's inevitable, but you can't go crying to momma every time someone says something bad about your music. Like I said, I'm in a band as well... and I know we are less than perfect (we've only been together about 6 months) but I would never tell someone to stop having a bad opinion if they heard us and didn't like our music. I would just tell people to check us out again, maybe we had a bad show, or something. And if they did, and they still didn't care for us, then so be it, they are allowed to have their own opinion and to express their own opinion. Now if I missed something like a personal attack against your character or something that caused this outrage for you, then I'm speaking out of place and I apologize. But, if this is all because someone is bashing your music and you don't like that, well then, I say grow a pair and get ready for more abuse over the years cause not everyone is gonna like your music, and given that this is the internet and there is a vale of anonymity on this medium, people are gonna speak their mind and tell people what they really think. Best of luck in your endeavours..
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I apologize for bringing you all over here.
Phrazz

Opinions vs Bullshit

Having a bad opinion is one thing, but writing that is "patently offensive" will be deleted. This is in our Charter. If people don't like it, they can join Phantasy Tour.

I agree that bands need to have thicker skins, but some writing is not protected under freedom of speech. This is a Moderated board and that means playing by the rules.

As for anonymity, that is merely a facade.

-Phrazz

P.S.: Registered users have benefits.
Katie
Invocation

Just a few things I wanted to say to our 'Grimis' guests:
First off, sorry if anyone was offended by comments here, but please take criticism with a grain of salt and remember it's just an opinion. We share one band in common that we enjoy, but we're all music fans and we're always going to stray from the Slip-related content. As Phrazz said anything said in an offensive manner will be delt with, as will slander (false statements of fact, intended to harm one's reputation) should it be brought to our attention. But do also remember that there are a lot of Slip fans who read these posts and don't always have time to respond, so the opinions of a few do not represent all of us.

In fact it was because of friendly reminders from a Slip fan that you were playing in my town last month, that I decided to stop by and check out part of a show. I only caught maybe 4 songs, but I listened with an open ear. While I haven't heard enough to form a solid critique, I could tell that you guys are talented at what you do and I'd keep an eye on shows in the future. And yes, Brad's influence did stand out to me, but that's OK. Keep in mind that as a Slip fan there's no way I'm not going to make that connection. I checked out a few songs on the archive from Dan's recommendation and found at least one that I dug: 'Sorry, the answer was jeans' from the 05/21 show. My point? Discussion is a good thing, because even though not everyone is going to like everything that comes up for discussion, chances are someone is going to find something that they do like.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

zzzzz....zzzz.. zzzzzz...
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH