My saturday twist of fate...

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

My saturday twist of fate...

So Pam and I have some married friends in Allentown, and one of the things we like to do together is go to breweries and wineries and taste/get wasted... :D

Well, given the new news we are trying to do as many every weekend that we can.. originally on saturday, we were going to try and hit 2 breweries down in lancaster, victory and Lancaster brewing company...

Problem # 1
Victory is not in lancaster, it's actually in Downingstown which is right outside of philly which messes things up cause we were planning on going to the outlets afterwards and taking scott and jess to one of Pam and I's favorite resturants in Lancaster (Lombardo's)
So I call up Scott and I'm like well.. we can still go to Lancaster brewing company. Well,

Problem #2
I call Lancaster brewing company (which has a resturant and stuff) and the woman said that the brewers aren't in on saturdays so tours were given when the owner would come in between 5 and 6. Not a definative answer, which I absolutely hate.
So I call Scott back and explain and say.. alright, we'll just go to Stoudt's, which was fine. Originally, we were going to go to the outlets and then go to Stoudt's, as the tours were supposed to start @ 3PM. On the way down though, we were all getting hungry, and they have a resturant so since we would get there around 1:30, we figured we could just eat and then wait around for the tour (cause if nothing else, while waiting, there are a bunch of antique stores on site, really neat place, go check it out sometime). Well....

Twist of Fate:
We park the truck, and get out to walk up to the gate and the guys standing at the front asked us if we had tickets. <Insert confused Look...>
He told us there was a microbrewery festival, all you could eat and drink for $25 dollars. At which point I'm sure people could have seen us pealing out in the parking lot to get to a cash machine and back.
We get back and pay our way in.. you get an 8oz glass with a 6oz line which is where they are supposed to fill it to (although, often they were filled basically to the top of the glass) and each brewer (except for straubs, whom had all of their lines) had 2-3 beers to sample, as much as you want. Also, their was a german food buffet.. nothing like drinking lots of beer on a hot and muggy day along with eating german food... mmmm... it was a great time and Scott, Jess, and I look forward to going agian in august (pam's going to a concert that night in allentown).

The following breweries were present:
(I won't list what beers they had.. that would take too long..)

Abita Brewing Co
Allagash Brewing Co
Bethlehem Brew Works
Duclaw Brewery
(had this really good raspberry imperial.. mmmm)
Flying Dog Brewery
Flying Fish Brewing Company
Iron Hill Brewery
Lancaster Brewing Co
(which is funny, cause the only real reason I wanted to got there was to try their Strawberry wheat, which I did and it's hella good!)
Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Rouge Ales
(had a really good chocolate stout)
Sly Fox Brewing Company
Southern Tier Brewing Co
Stoudt Brewing Co (duh...)
Triump Brewing Co
Weyerbacher Brewing Co
(this is the place we always go cause it's in easton and it kicks ass!)

twist of fate brought us there... we were sooo lucky and we had such a great time, if you want to find out more, I think there is information on the website about the next ones.
http://www.stoudts.com

if not... just let me know... 8)

Best T-shirt we saw...
Frogs drink water and croak, Drink beer!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

etahn
From the Gecko

Lancaster's a sick brewery. Used to get their sampler cases from the beer distibutor, and everything in it was good. Especially the milk stout and the pilsner.

Which reminds me why I love PA so much. Where else can you not buy a six-pack of beer? You have to go to the distibutor and buy a case. My other favorite part of PA is the reworking of the term 'lager'. If you ask for a lager in a PA bar, you may mean "a pale, bottom-fermented beer of moderate strength that originated in Central Europe. Lager is fermented at much colder temperatures than top-fermented beers (between 32 and 50° F)," but what you'll get is <a href="Http://www.yuengling.com">lager</a>.

I like Lancaster better.
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I really like the milk stout.. but their strawberry wheat is awesome...

I also at that time tried their new beer, Hop Hog... which tasted like grapefruit juice... I just drank it really fast....

Ahhh yes... lager.. I don't really care for yuengling... maybe I just drank it too much... but it's decent and cheap (average is $16.. but I get it for $13 at Shangy's in Emmaus..)....

PA also has a large selection of microbreweries....

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tim
The Weight of Solomon

duclaws is from down here, it's ok enough but i'm not a huge fan of it. there's a place called ellicott mills down here which makes some good beer here but i'm a bigger fan of these maryland MACRObrews,