Top 5?

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

macfly
Get Me with Fuji

Here comes the Ice Cream Truck!

08/07/04 - Discs 1 & 2
08/07/04 - Disc 3

:D
putty
From the Gecko

that's what i'm talkin' 'bout!

been wanting the ice cream truck show for a while.
ScS
From the Gecko

colorado run 2003 is pretty good, if just for the fact that it showcases a lot of the "new" songs in raw and vintage form.

moderate threat
cowboy up
most auspicious confederate
gilberto gil

all tunes that saw their birth on that run. i'll have to dig up my copies. my collection is in turmoil after 2 moves within 6 months.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
putty
From the Gecko

I was at the Vail show in 2003.

It was great, but empty. I don't think there's even a setlist of that show anywhere.

edit: here's all the Colorado run

10/01/2003: The Gothic Theater: Englewood, CO
Set I: Intro^, Ambrosia Drunk, TEWDACYATM, The Witch in the Kitchen, Sorry#, Homeland, Poor Boy, Predicting the Rain (NEW), Sometimes True to Nothing
Encore: 10. Happy Snails*, If One of Us Should Fall
Notes: ^Very experimental - kind of reminded me of John Cage or Edgard Varese's "Poeme Electronique" #Amazing version of Sorry!!! *Tim Lanterman on percussion, Andrew on PVC pipes. --- Great show... small, intimate crowd, and RI/MA/CT/NY was definitely representing. [ Parker - cparker428 at yahoo - October 05, 2003 ]

10/02/2003: The Fox Theater: Boulder, CO reviews/20031002/cecil.html
Set I: Back in 15 Minutes, Headshot, (new vocal tune), Carry the Zeros?, Wolof, Poor Boy, Children of December, Love and Tears^, Sometimes True to Nothing, The Weight of Solomon#
Encore: Happy Snails, Sorry
Notes: ? Might actually be BTS's "Something Learned". ^ Brad on Cleantone's 12-string green electric; trombone player from JBB on djembe (trumpet player, too, maybe also from JBB); Brad solos on kazoo & guitar. # Brad on Rhodes. [ Cecil <cthomas at naropa dot edu> - October 08, 2003 ]

10/03/2003: Club 8150: Vail, CO
setlist missing

10/04/2003: The Starlight: Fort Collins, CO
Set I: Tenfold, Spice Groove> Nellie Jean :), Soft Machine, 74, Song of Mysterious Origin, Poor Boy, Gemini*, Children of December
Encore: Alsoa> Dogs on Bikes
Notes: Very intimate show, only about 70-75 people in attendence!! [ Sean - sneaksox at aol> - 10/05/2003 ]

SECOND EDIT!!! Stop the presses!

Haha. I just saw this for the first time. I made the slipbase. Woo!

06/18/2007: 40 Watt Club: Athens, GA
Set I: Heartbreaker, Ooh Belle, Portrait of the Scientist As a Young Man, Paper Birds, Children of December, Life In Disguise!, Snowfall / I Was Designed^, Soft Machine, Even Rats, If One Of Us Should Fall
Encore: Black Telephone, There's A Lie > Happy Birthday to Marc$ > There's A Lie
Notes: ! w/ Leslie Helpert on backing vocals. $ Sung aby Putty and the crowd. ^ w/ Leslie Helpert singing and Brad on backing vocals.
ScS
From the Gecko

i may be thinking of the 2004 run. my bad. i remember now that it was in september. definitely not october.

here is that run, courtesy slipbase:

09/14/2004: Glenn Miller Ballroom - University of Colorado: Boulder, CO
Set I: Lotsa Sox, Fear of Falling, From the Gecko> Paper Birds, Gilberto Gil, Reddish Moon, Poor Boy, Even Rats, Get Me with Fuji, If One of Us Should Fall, Children of December
Notes: [ robert - Fri Sep 17 2004

09/15/2004: Aggie Theatre: Fort Collins, CO
Set I: Lotsa Sox, Chasing Rabbits, Poor Boy, Trane-ing, Nellie Jean$ > Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell, Reddish Moon
Set II: Even Rats, Get Me with Fuji*, Let the Mornin' In, Proud, Paper Birds, The Shouters
Encore: Children of December
Notes: $ big piece of River Sang to Buddha in the end jam [Ethan]. * Sweet Child of Mine tease from Brad. [Fri Sep 17 2004

09/16/2004: Bluebird Theater: Denver, CO
Set I: Lotsa Sox, Fear of Falling, 74, Wolof, Even Rats, Let the Mornin' in, Reddish Moon*, Poor Boy, Paper Birds**, Massachusettes to DC (?), Sorry> With or Without You, Sometimes True to Nothing$
Encore: Soft Warm Simple Wonder!, Children of December$, Dogs on Bikes> Whats So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding?&
Notes: $ Extended Marc solo. * Brad dedicated this song to some family members who were at the show. ** Brad announced that this song was written by Marc, and its called either reddish moon, or my landlord. ! Some people had been requesting this one throughout the show, the seemed very happy when it was played. Brads guitar came unplugged in the middle of the song leading to a little dissaray, but recovered quickly. Brad Tossed his strat a good 15 to 20 feet across the stage to andrew, who joined in on the opening chords. This was easily the best show of the run. Really solid setlist, everything was great, but it REALLY took off at sorry. Sorry was spectacular with an on the dime segue into the best version of WOWOY ive ever heard, some real intensity here. From here on out the room was absolutely rocking. I also thought That Brads singing was particularly on tonight, he hit every note perfectly. As a whole the run was really great, maybe lacking the intimacy and tender magic that is sometimes present at a REALLY amazing slip show (although the last half of thursday was getting there), but completely enjoyable and moderately mind boggling. The songs that i hadnt heard before ( Even rats, reddish moon, paper birds) Were really great, and i was more than happy to hear them each night. Even Rats is going to be a fan favorite very soon. Its amazing to me the smallness of the crowds here in colorado, theres something wrong, because i know there are plenty of people here who do/would LOVE this music. [robert] & tease at end of chorus of Run River Run (Nathan Moore tune). [Katie]
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
putty
From the Gecko

yeah, that was a great run too.

I went to that Denver show, and drank delicious $2 cans of Dale's Pale Ale at the Bluebird. I brought about five people to that show who had never seen or heard a note of the Slip, and all had a great time.

the Bluebird is a great venue in a city that has its share of great venues.

i remember at one point Brad just went over and sat down almost completely off stage and played like that for a couple minutes. Brad especially was having a great time during that concert.
etahn
From the Gecko

ScS wrote: most auspicious confederate
Ha! When did they start playing 'The Andalusian Bride'?
The world really is magic
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Don't forget 10.26.02 and 9.12 & 9.13.03.....these are also great shows!
ScS
From the Gecko

etahn wrote:
got me stumped!
scs
delray beach, florida

etahn
From the Gecko

ScS wrote:
etahn wrote:
got me stumped!
Sorry. The joke in my head was that 'most auspicious confederate' I think is a better title thatn Reddish Moon. Ditto for Andalusian Bride/Wine and White Soda. But it's always true. They shouldn't name songs anymore - they should just ask me. 8)
Roar!
Tenfold

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts, experiences, and live recordings they've contributed. It's really helpful, as well as refreshing for a newer fan, to come across a fan community that's so eager to share their experiences and recordings. I appreciate it.
Roar! Roar! Roar!
pete
Get Me with Fuji

A couple of my favorites:

2004-04-02 - Especially Aptos and Sorry -> With or Without You

2007-03-15 - Gotta love the stripped-down feel of this short show, especially on Suffocation Keep.

The rest at http://theslip.rockfallspark.com/mp3/index.htm are not necessarily top 5, but they're worth a listen.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
etahn
From the Gecko

pete wrote:A couple of my favorites:

2004-04-02 - Especially Aptos and Sorry -> With or Without You
Leave it to Pete to pick a PGH show...

What about the opener they played that night. The real slow instumental? I think they played it a couple nights before in Cleveland. One of my favorites..

And speaking of PGH, how about Rex 2007-03-18? Did I already mention that?
pete
Get Me with Fuji

etahn wrote:And speaking of PGH, how about Rex 2007-03-18? Did I already mention that?
Rex 2007-03-18 does kick some serious monkey-butt. It didn't hurt that there were about fifteen people in the audience. Of course, it also probably means that it will be a couple of years before the boys set foot in western PA again.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan