DAT xfer & setlist project

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

DAT xfer & setlist project

Hey everyone. I'm working with my buddy Edmund on transferring, tracking and seeding a bunch of old Slip DAT's, a lot of stuff he recorded and/or clones of Jim Crichton's DATs. Most of it hasn't circulated in a long while, or existing sources have CD-R gens in them (or weird setlists/tracking.) Just about to seed 6/12/98 and I wanted to check in re: setlist before I seeded.

Here it is as mp3:
mp3/slip1998-06-12.zip

Can anyone ID track #8? And also confirm that is "The Social" in the middle of Cumulus? Any other jams/teases to add or corrections let me know. Thanks in advance. I will be checking in as I go through, my knowledge of some of the old songs is a little rusty and I often notice old setlists can have some issues...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: DAT xfer & setlist project - 6/12/98 Berkfest

Also if anyone has any source info on this LMK... Edmund doesn't have it on his list. Jim had it listed as a SBD but either he had a different recording or this one is misattributed as it sounds like a good audience to me.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: DAT xfer & setlist project - 6/12/98 Berkfest & onwards

Ok, here's another one. This is the very beginning of 12/31/99, Slipbase and circulating copy has this track listed as jam > A Logical Path but I am not convinced this is actually "A Logical Path" at least when comparing to other versions of this tune in my collection. Of course as with old Slip tunes sometimes I have totally different tunes attributed under the same name in my collection.

mp3/theslip1999-12-31unk.mp3
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Not much help by my 6/12/98 transfer done in 2008 (still not tracked out or mastered) has this for a text. The lineage is my transfer.
The Slip
June 12, 1998
Berkshire Mountain Music Festival
Lanesboro, MA

source: AT825> Tascam DA-P1> DAT@48khz
lineage: DAT Clone> DA-20> coax> MOTU 896> DP4> WAV> FLAC
recorded by Jason Booth
DAT from Moshe Weitzman
transferred by Clinton Vadnais
Also I think there are a lot of things from 1998 and before that didn't circulate for a reason. I don't know. It's not like I want to try to enforce some 15 year old decision or rule. As we all know they have always been picky. In fact Brad just asked me last night to pull a video from my YouTube. I don't know if Jason knows better on this recording. I just have a memory of a fair amount of stuff from the earlier days being deemed DNC. Unfortunately, surprisingly, and regrettably a lot of the Slip knowledge I had crammed in my head is sort of lost. It's weird. I used to also be a bit of a Phish encyclopedia and this weekend at SPAC I found myself really searching my brain on some song titles. 20 years ago I would have known the debut date and location.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Cleantone wrote:Also I think there are a lot of things from 1998 and before that didn't circulate for a reason. I don't know. It's not like I want to try to enforce some 15 year old decision or rule. As we all know they have always been picky. In fact Brad just asked me last night to pull a video from my YouTube.
I thought the official rule was nothing before 1998 to circulate... This set is pretty solid for the era and a decent recording though. We got started on this one as someone requested it on etree just recently, everything else being considered for circulation is 1999 or later. I just had a single file mp3 previously, not tracked out, so this isn't something new to the world.

Brad was just talking with me at High Sierra when he stopped by our camp about recordings and how he personally often has trouble listening to recordings of himself as he tends to hear the flaws. I was making the argument in favor of preserving valuable music history, however imperfect, for the future musicians and fans, like with old jazz or GD recordings. I know he has asked me to pull or not circulate particular recordings or videos in the past. I don't think anything was resolved but he did plug in his phone into our stereo and play us some of the new Davis record!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

You are correct. I do also know that there are some early 98 things that were deemed "not good for the masses". Maybe you don't have any of it. It's all ancient history anyway. In fact these days some poorer recordings can be fixed up pretty well. I know that was a factor on some. Like I said. I'm not going to try to police some 15 year old "rule" from an essentially defunct band. Unfortunately I've also long reached a point of over investment in time and money. No regrets but wow. Thinking about it can make me cringe a bit. Still a short lifetime of work to complete too.
etahn
From the Gecko

RE: 1999-12-31. At about 23:05, they break into Fungi Mama. I'd give a more detailed review, but it's apparently going to be another hour and a half before I can listen to the whole track.
The world really is magic
etahn
From the Gecko

1998-06-12:
That is definitely The Social in the middle of Cumulus.
Track 8 is just talking and clapping.
Track 7 I would combine with Track 6 (Autobody). Not being part of the band, I don't have a name for it, and it does sound distinct from Autobody, but it's the same thing they play at the end of Autobody on 1997-03-21, so I always assumed it was just the end of the song.

Interesting note: In this Autobody, they play a sequence that will show up shortly in Satyricon. In fact, I think of it as part of Satyricon.
Half the fun of listening to lots of shows is tracking these little threads, these little bits of tunes that pop up again later down the line. But I digress...
The world really is magic
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

etahn wrote:1998-06-12:
Track 7 I would combine with Track 6 (Autobody). Not being part of the band, I don't have a name for it, and it does sound distinct from Autobody, but it's the same thing they play at the end of Autobody on 1997-03-21, so I always assumed it was just the end of the song.
From jbooth:
jbooth wrote:Track 7 is actually the ending to autobody experience. Basically, if you listen to marc's 4 track demo, he has a song called "Driving" on it, which is where this came from. When he joined the slip, they mashed Marc's song onto the end of "Out of body experience" and created Autobody experience.. They often omitted this ending, going directly into another song, but this is actually part of the full song..
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: DAT xfer & setlist project

Ok here's all of 12/31/99:

mp3/slip1999-12-31.zip

Take a listen, let me know if you have corrections/suggestions. Also check out Phrazz's photos of this event which I came about when researching: http://phrazz.smugmug.com/Parties/Slip- ... Farm-1999/ saw some friends in it, looked like it was a fun event!!!!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

ok... so re: 12/31/99

Listening to first track of 2nd set (track 7):

around 17:14 I hear Andrew start to do the drum part to Autobody but the other guys don't really join in
around 26:00 Brad starts "When The Saints Go Marching in"
then around 27:10 they start a little song I know but am having trouble placing the name... anybody?

(edit: Just noticed this post made me a Zion Gatekeeper! on my birthday no less...)
skier4467
Even Rats

Happy belated bday Harry. quite the project!
when the musics connected....