Best of

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

Best of

First let me apologize, because these 'what's your favorite___?' things get kind of tiresome. But I was just listening to 11/04/2000 and thinking that might be the best Johnny's Tune ever. Fredonia is rumored to be the best YMS ever, but I have to go with 12/30/02 until I hear this mystery gem. So I was wondering, who's got a best-ever choice for whatever? We all know shows vary wildly within even a night. Like 11/06/99, where they throw out an incredible Cumulus and follow with a rather tepid Ernie Mickey. But That Cumulus may be the best ever. And recordings sometimes make a show stick out, but then you'll have crappy tapes of extra-tough tunes, like 3/12/99 which is so bad it will never circulate.

We can go one song at a time, I'll post what choices I actually have, and then if we like, we can decide on the best of the best. They tend to stick out. Or is that sick out?

Anyway, let's start with JT, and my vote goes to

11/04/2000 Valentine's, Albany, NY
The world really is magic
tote
Get Me with Fuji

I think the best Johnny's tune was 4-20-02 at the paradise, but maybe it's not a fair vote cause of Fareed. If it is fair, then the one at the Slac Fest gets an honorable mention simply because it had Scofield on stage with the slip for (I Believe) the only time ever. The one from valentines is incredible though. Definitely the only time they ever tease spice groove and Dogs on bikes at the same time, that I know of.

How about a vote for most intimate Alsoa? I propose

04/16/2000: Brown University Spring Festival: Providence, RI

They were apparently scheduled o play outside but got moved in to a nice theatre/auditiorium cause of the rain, which also caused the crowd to be much smaller and more intimate. Needless to say they decided to just let it rip...
tim
The Weight of Solomon

ethan, i gotta agree with you about that JT, definitely the most smokin' version i've ever heard. i remember thinking the 7/2/99 JT from HSMF was pretty hot as well.

9/6/98 honey melon w/dr didg and travis and kang of SCI(anyone else remember when they were good?!?) is always a face melter.

i'm a big fan of the 12/29/00 version of YMS.

tote- i've always had a hard time picking out a favorite live alsoa. partly cause it's my favorite slip song and partly cause it seems to be a song i always find a flub on when listening to live versions on disc. but, when SEEING it live, i have neither the time nor the inclination to be a critic so my two favs are actually two that i've only ever heard once while i was seeing it in the flesh. first being my first time seeing the slip at allgood on 5/22/99. after bearing witness to calysto, yellow med, so dope and JT, this crazy bearded dude in a john deere hat started singing this bittersweet song that i immediately fell in love with. my next favorite version is the third time i got to see it at the calvary baptist church on 5/2/03. by this time i had come to have an emotional attachment to the song so hearing it in such an intimate and peaceful setting brought water to my eyes.

"Light is pouring in through
Bound to this highway I ride, clear through
And tell a brave tale like yours,
The motion of life on the ocean floor
Soon forget, and gaze ..."

^^^that shit gets me every time!
etahn
From the Gecko

tim wrote: 9/6/98 honey melon w/dr didg and travis and kang of SCI(anyone else remember when they were good?!?) is always a face melter.
Damn straight! I had to sit down after that shit. The Phase one is fuckin hot, too, and the YM. Really just a slammin' show, but I think the Honey Melon is the only one that can be called best of.

tim wrote: i'm a big fan of the 12/29/00 version of YMS.
I'm gonna go (again) with 12/30/02 Paradise. The way they drop it way down before Marc's solo, and then again at Brad's, and then lay into the hottest shit ever?!? Listen to Marc and Andrew during Brad's solo. It's worth it.

I've taken what suggestions have been gather thus far (the ones I have anyway), and posted them <a href="http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~eff1/Slip">here</a> for anyone who wants to see what other people think is hot. Other submissions will get their share, too.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

awesome, thanks alot for linking those up. any chance you could put the 12/30/02 YMS up when you get a free moment? i don't have that show. thanks again.
etahn
From the Gecko

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SHIT! I can't believe you don't have that, tim!?!?!?!? WTF?? Where the fuck have you been??????

uh, sorry. I'll throw that YMS up there.

SICK.ASS.SHIT
tote
Get Me with Fuji

Rhythm and Gold

Etahn, that is the sickest for sure. I know a few sic rhythm and Golds, but the one from the Rocks Off Boat cruise is pretty sic. 7-17-03. Thanks for doing all this for us by the way.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

ok so this might not be right on topic with this thread.

I got a new HD.... thus more shows to get. Oz is back up!

so what shows are a MUST to grab, from all the years.

dan
etahn
From the Gecko

You're right, Dan, it's way off topic. Would make a good thread, though. Or is it already a thread?
tote
Get Me with Fuji

tote

I was at work and I thought of a definite best: Steel Drum Zion-

01/23/1998: Middle East: Cambridge, MA
Set I: Honey Melon*, Autobody Experience*, Nebulus**, Macarena> Straight No Chaser > Rap***, The Clap, From the Gecko, Steel Drum Zion****
Notes: * Featuring Papose Doumbia on Djembie ** Reharmonized Cumulus *** Macarana featured a small, singing toy monkey to start off the number. Rap features Radioactive **** Featuring members of Abdul Doubia's african drum troupe, Lettuce, and a mistery flautist. [Cleantone 6/21/2005]

This rendition has made many a new slip fan in my experience. What do you think Ethan? If there's a better one I sure would like to hear it.