Decisions, decisions...

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

gabe
Lion on a Rock

Decisions, decisions...

SO Friday was my 17th birthday, and seeing as I'm hugely trendy, apparently, my mother purchased me an iPod mini. Now an iPod mini can only hold so much, so I can't do what I would do if I had the 20 gig iPod and download pretty much every live Slip show I can get a hold of. And seeing as I have easy access to a veritable arsenal of Slip music, the decision is rather difficult. So I would like recommendations of peoples' favorite recordings! I'm going to France for a year in a couple weeks and I want some quality Slippage to take with me.

Thanks in advance, I guess?
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

france? mini ipods? must be nice livin large in mass.

since youre a jazz head, id recommend the scullerz (sp?) show from '00.

maybe etahn or tim can chime in.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
gabe
Lion on a Rock

haha thanks, i actually like that show alot, that dogs on bikes is what got me into these guys... but i must know, how do you know i'm a jazz head?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

gabe, i think you would enjoy a band named 'meshuggah'. mind blowing jazz from sweden.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

gabe wrote:haha thanks, i actually like that show alot, that dogs on bikes is what got me into these guys... but i must know, how do you know i'm a jazz head?
jaco told me.

what the hell are you going to france for? make sure to take in as much old wine and young hookers as you can. or if your like me, young wine and old hookers.

dont listen to meshuggah unless you like satanic messages mixed with breakneck speeds and odd times.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
gabe
Lion on a Rock

hahaha

school exchange program. and its junior year so i really dont want to be here. ive been before and dont get me started on the french booze.
etahn
From the Gecko

yeah, Scullers. It's so hard to call up old shows, because there just aren't that many that have the great mix of hot playing and good recording. And the ones that do have been worn so many times they're almost cliche.

That said, here's a short list of the tried and true:

2/14/97 - Great intimate show at the Choppin' Block. You can hear the crowd (and Sammy) very well. Features Nasty Chicken Fuckin' Pizza (which kindly lent it's bass line to I Hate Love)

3/21/97 - The "Feeling Better" show. Good classic set (Phase One, Cumulus, Alsoa, Straight No Chaser, Autobody), opening for Jiggle The Handle

9/20/97 - Just for the Lion On A Rock. Incredible crowd participation.

9/6/98 - BAMs first HSMF, second day, side stage. I think we all know this one by now. Sickest Phase One ever, Booth's pick for best Honey Melon evah.

3/7/99 - Nice West-Coast set

11/6/99 - the Duck Sauce show. Great Cumulus, FJEW w/Stanley Gemmell

2/24-25/00 Stanford/Santa Cruz - The Stanford tape's a little talky, but the show's pretty good. The Cruz show is off the hook.

11/04/00 Hot show from Albany. Contende for best ever JT. Fiery Ernie Mickey opener.

04/04/2002- Stanford. Extra-crispy circulates, hot Air/Body opener, Witch in the Kitchen (great song, needs to return)

12/30/02 - W/Howling Monkey Horns. My pick for best YMS ever, as well as Sweet Thing.

3/22/03 The Tralf, Buffalo. First Song, BI15M, Awesome Nellie Jean encore -> slow, shuffling Melina, crispy matrix recording circulates.

6/07/03 - Creekside. Monster slow Cumulus, early CoD, Soft Machine has a great shuffle feel to it that's since been lost. Maybe not the hottest show ever, but I was there.

11/28-29/03 Narrows - The Acoustic wins if they have to fight it out. Predicitng The Rain, Get Down and Sruti, and a hot hot Snails. The electric is pretty fucking hot, too.

12/30/03 - I know some think this show is overrated, and I remember it being really weird. Like who the hell decided to open with Happy Snails? Redemption comes in the second set with Gecko>Zion>CoD, Solomon closer, and a great great Baba O'Reily.

03/06/04 - I know it's not technically the Slip, but this show is on fire. From the opening duo of Rollin' Home/To You, through group improv Snowed In, a charged 19th Nervous Breakdown>Holly Would, and Nathan's touching speech introducing Movin' By Lovin', this gem is a full barn-burner. I really like Leslie's tune (Snowfall) a lot too.

04/02/04 - Pittsburgh. Check out the opener especially. Unnamed, only played a few times. i really like it though.

7/08/04 - The Fillmore - I know there's a tape of this somewhere, I might even have it. I remember Reddish Moon and Shouters being really hot

08/07/04 - Ice Cream Truck - do I really need to say anything here? Paper Birds>Fear of Falling, Soft Machine, Proud.

12/29/04 - Lupo's. This show was hot, I don't know who's got tapes, but there were a bunch of mics up.

04/07/05 again not a Slip show per se, but fucking hot nonetheless.

So there's a few shows for you. Most of 'em are on OZ. Probably enough to fill your mini.
The world really is magic
francis
From the Gecko

looks like i'm going to be getting my hands on these shows too now.. thanks for the picks.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
gabe
Lion on a Rock

wow 9/6/98 looks sick, but danny doesn't have it and oz ain't workin, is there anyone with a fast internet connection who could hook me up via AIM?

YEAH 7/8/04 that looks good, if you can find that tape, lets work something out.
etahn
From the Gecko

Done and done.

Well, partly done anyway. MP3s of 1998-09-06 are up for d/l. Use the www button at the end of this post. I'll also entertain any other requests.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

e dog, what do you think about having a monthly show put on sliplive. i think phrazz and i were kicking this idea around. all you nutty historians can pick a show, we'll dig it up from somewhere, and put up some kind of lossless format on here to d/l.

thoughts everyone?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
etahn
From the Gecko

I think that's a great idea. Especially if it'll get me closer to Sammy's vault. I've been kind of doing that, but with mp3s and on a very irregular basis.

How's bandwidth on this thing? Are we going to flood it? Are we going to be able to d/l quickly?
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

cleantone could you ftp shows up to us?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH