Umphrey's Mcgee

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

Umphrey's Mcgee

Umphreys Mcgee is playing two nights at Higher Ground this weekend, should i go? I haven't heard much by them except their podcasts and one live cd, and I have to say I haven't been super impressed by what I've heard. seems like a lot of their jamming is kinda contrived, like they're just jamming for the sake of jamming. but maybe i am wrong and seeing them live at least one night will change my mind?
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

you should go see RAQ in ME on Friday and RAQ in RI on Saturday.

raqmusic.com
new album out
and a massive tour that is going to rape america
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i saw them at a bar back around '00/'01 and last year late night at all good. both times were fun but i've never found myself drawn back to their shows or recordings. the music was fun to party to, it just never gave me that it moment. brendan and jake are definitely sick guitarists but it's too much wailing and not enough substance IMO. if i lived in burlington, i'd be at STS9 the next two nights.
francis
From the Gecko

i would recommend seeing them, but i think it is just because of the guitar playing shreds. they are also very very tight live. stop on a dime.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!

I haven't seen them, but if they were in my town I probably would. Have to agree. The guitar player is an absolutely sick-ass shredder.
putty
From the Gecko

their shows really bother me. they start getting really metal sounding, which they do very well, then they'll switch it up out of nowhere and do some random noodling that kills the song.

also, their shows are filled with young young kids. not that there's anything wrong with that i guess. i was a young kid once too, but it isn't my scene anymore.

i've just become an old codger i guess.