Who would you choose to speak on equality?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

headnugg
Invocation

Who would you choose to speak on equality?

If you were going to have someone current come to your school to speak about equality and cultural diversity, who would you choose? I'm talking about people who are notable, who are current......a gay athlete maybe, a prominent black business man or politician, maybe one of the black dudes from The Apprentice, etc.....along those lines.....
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

well, my school recently has had this group called The Wheels of Justice.

They are a group that supports the equality to citizens in Israel and Palestinians who have been displaced.

Basically they are in support of Palestinians yet are peaceful in actions but fervent in their words. They were first brought to our school by 4 or 5 social studies faculty to offer another viewpoint on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and to stress it is not one of Religious value but government Agenda.

The Wheels of Justice have spoken at hundreds of colleges and highschools never facing the resistance and actual threats that my town has imposed. This past friday the speakers spoke within our library to students and the faculty and we behaved as we always do during these types of events. we asked mature relevant questions and the tension there was not strong although many people who never even saw the presentation where saying they are murders, and anti semiotic and this case they are strong in their view points but as a jew, i felt they were rpesenting me with facts. i always trust myself to find information from a multitude of "sides" on issues that i want to know more about. Having two extremist groups come in one to ratify Palestinian oppression and the other on the Israeli side is ok but i still would seek my own inforation.

So this is where you in the boston area probably found out. Friday evening there was a forum held in our library for our town goers to attend. I was not present but in this case the parents acted like children. People violently screaming at the presenters that they are murders and within the forum some people were threatening the lives of families. The physical temperature was getting too hot so our principal left the room and that is when people came out and it was chaos and embarrassing. the students had no issues but the parents would not listen, they had their mind set that these people hatted judiasm and jews yet its the Israeli government thats destroying their homes and doing terrorist acts yet are just backed up by a military so its not deemed bad. The propaganda that we see in the united states is unsettling to them and all they want to do is offer an opposing view to make a decision for yourself so you can seek out more information.

so that is the talk of our school

-dan
Phrazz

Who to choose?

I would pick Saddam Hussein, but of course he's dead now. In his stead, I believe George W. Bush has to be the next best speaker on cultural diversity. He's a self-aggrandized expert on Middle East policy, who also has an intimate working knowledge of equality (and justice). However, he is very hard to pin down and charges an "arm and a leg" (direct quote). I heard he's booked solid planning the New Deal in Iraq. Anytime now it will stabilize and his lecture curcuit will resume.

:lol:
ScS
From the Gecko

i could see donald trump giving a riveting speech on equality.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
putty
From the Gecko

Charles Barkley
tim
The Weight of Solomon

check out this guy james mcbride, he might be right up your alley.

http://www.jamesmcbride.com/

http://www.events.wvu.edu/foi/2006/jame ... ndex.shtml
James McBride is a true Renaissance man. An award-winning writer, composer, and saxophonist, his landmark memoir, The Color of Water, is a classic, read in colleges and high schools across America.

A New York Times bestseller for two years, this book is the stirring account of his mother, a white Jewish woman from Poland who raised 12 black children in New York City and sent each to college...
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

dan, that was interesting to hear about your town. i found a link:

http://www.justicewheels.org/middle-eas ... t-speakers

nugg, right now, im really fond of one of the few liberal news anchormen whos got a real pair: keith olbermann

his latest video editorial is chilling. its in response to w's speech about increasing troops in irag:

http://alternet.org/blogs/video/46636/
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
headnugg
Invocation

Olberman is the man.....

these are some good ideas....

i was also thinking about Afrika Bambataa.....
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Economist

Have you considered someone like Amartya Sen, nobel prize winning economist? Very intelligent, would be a great choice in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amartya_Sen