The Shock Doctrine

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

The Shock Doctrine

<A HREF="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kieyjfZD ... .html">The Shock Doctrine short film</A>

A short film made for the book <A HREF="http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine">[u]The Shock Doctrine[/u]</A> by Naomi Klein who also wrote the incredibly smart book, <A HREF="http://www.naomiklein.org/no-logo">[u]No Logo[/u]</A>
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

Re: Heavy duty!

Phrazz wrote:Thanks for the brain food! Naomi is absolutely on the mark. I want to meet her. Gotta get that book.

[edit] Oh...what convenient timing. I think I will meet her.
this place is giving me the fear :evil:
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
Phrazz

fear is the mind-killer

If we try to relate to what Naomi is warning us about, it's the fear itself that we should defintely resist (like FDR once said). Frankly, I think the fear-mongering is blatantly obvious and if we can't laugh at it we are adding fuel to the fire. Be not afraid, be angry. That will bring a reality-check much faster. By letting yourself feel fear you are encouraging the fear-mongers to extend their talons further into your neck.

Spin around...karate *chop*. That's what Austin Powers would do.

-Fight the good fight,

Phrazz
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

not that we're ready on the whole, but this can't be benevolient as well. Remember how nice eveyone was to each other 6 years ago.
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
Phrazz

Victors who write history and those who seek to change it

excerpt from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_history

Obviously the victors do have advantages in promoting their version of events, even if they don't erase their enemies completely from existence. The victors may have control over the churches, the courts and schools. This may give the ruling elites nearly total control over the molding of consciousness and discourse over those they rule. In dictatorships, ruthless censorship allows only the state-approved version of events to be made public, and much that happened remains secret if it proved hurtful to the ruling elite. Liberal democracies are not immune however. In the West for example, the concentration of media into ever fewer hands has given the captains of major media and the Public Relations industry increased control over the parameters of public discourse which form the boundaries of debate we all have in classrooms, and even with friends and co-workers on matters such as war and politics.

Related quotes:

“History is written by the victors.” -Sir Winston Churchill

“The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong.” -Churchill

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it," from Reason in Common Sense, the first volume of his The Life of Reason. -George Santayana

So, part of what I think is happening now is that those who are attempting to be (or are) the victors are already busy at rewriting (and repeating) historical mistakes.

There are similar quotes by Plato, Confucius, Aristotle, Hegel, and the list is large. In essence, these philosophers are also repeating historical quotes of their predecessors. :)

The snake eats its tail (again).

Klue: Do you mean people all over the world were nicer to each other before 9/11? Or just after (and because of 9/11) there was a large sympathy factor were people were all helpful to those who suffered? What (or who) can't be benevolent?
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

In the weeks after 9/11 there was a kinship amoungst americans. The cause was disconceting and it didn't last but it was nice. It'll behoove us all to remeber the good in even the greatest bad
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever