new brad interview... Glide hiddentrack

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

new brad interview... Glide hiddentrack

I stumbled across this, Brad talks about recording in Rough Magic w/Sonya Kitchell:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/?p=1129/
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Cool. I recorded Sonya when she was like 13 or 14 for a demo. It's amazing that she is doing so well. Touring with Herbie Hancock? Are you kidding?!?! WOW!
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

brooklyyyyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool read, thanks mang
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
putty
From the Gecko

you can tell that was a frustrating interview for the reporter. every question must've been about how much the studio space really matters, and brad kept saying, "ehhh, not so much," but in the friendliest way possible.
Phrazz

Sonya Kitchell

Cool article...thanks for the find, Harry.
Cleantone wrote:Cool. I recorded Sonya when she was like 13 or 14 for a demo. It's amazing that she is doing so well.
I would suspect that demo helped her move along her path of success!
Cleantone wrote:Touring with Herbie Hancock? Are you kidding?!?! WOW!
Some day when Radiohead hires Cleantone to record their tour, I hope he remembers all the little people from his past life. 8)
putty wrote:you can tell that was a frustrating interview for the reporter. every question must've been about how much the studio space really matters, and brad kept saying, "ehhh, not so much," but in the friendliest way possible.
I don't sense any frustration at all in the interviewer's questions or Brad's responses, nor would I conclude that Brad felt the studio didn't matter "so much", but he obviously questions "how much".

Brad did say "Obviously it plays a big part in how the record sounds" but then went on to explain some of the success was due to the band's maturity (which is stating the obvious, at least to anyone who's followed The Slip for any length of time). That is a subtle difference, but he certainly attests to Matthew Ellard's instrumental help in the production.
Scott Bernstein wrote:Brad Barr: There’s nothing particular I look for in a studio except for a certain warmth and energy and character in the room (and, of course, a few nice mics and pre-amps). I suppose the type of room and setup you choose has a lot to do with what kind of project you’re recording. But if you’re going to be spending lots of time recording somewhere, you want to feel comfortable and inspired. Thats what I look for. Then again, I’m sure some great records have been made in leaky basement studios with rats running across the mic cables.
Look at the key terms here: warmth, energy, room character, setup, comfort, inspiration. Obviously Brad "tones down" his view of the creative "zone" or "vibe" that a studio imparts, but by looking at his careful choice of words, I would say it's easier to make the assessment that Brad definitely cares about these qualities in a studio, though he admits they are not absolutely essential ("I'm sure some great records have been made" is definitely a couched phrase -- Brad never said "We made some great recordings in a rat-infested leaky basement").

In spite of what I feel is a decent short interview on a specific and interesting topic, I don't like the headline, specifically "Creates". That may give the reader the impression that Brad was somehow instrumental in creating the studio, when actually he just appears to like recording there. I would have said "Likes Rough Magic" or something more accurate to the article's intent.

I think more than helping the interviewer see the relative value of the studio experience, Brad is more indirectly communicating to fledgling bands that they can make great recordings without spending lots of money in a fancy studio. However, it is quite clear that Brad likes this particular studio and that kind of "warmth" (as he calls room/womb) is a very positive use of language and presence of environment (therefore evokes positive emotions and we would expect creative response).

Even still, there is value of angst, fear, anger and other negative emotions...if chanelling these is what the artists seeks to leverage. So maybe a Punk Rock band could record better in a rat-infested leaky basement? :twisted:
putty
From the Gecko

my impression of the article was that the reporter was trying to say how a studio space (this one in particular) can influence the quality of a recording. so, in asking those questions, i would gather the reporter was hoping Brad would answer them along those lines.

it's a good article. i guess i should've said that had i been the interviewer, asking those questions, i would've been somewhat frustrated by those responses - not that they were wrong or negative in any way - because they didn't necessarily back up the point the reporter was trying to make.