Bonnaroo 2008

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Bonnaroo 2008

What does everyone think about this year's Roo lineup
the headliners are an interesting choice in my opinion, not a huge Metallica fan but pearl jam is pretty sick
they've taken the theme of variety even further this year which is pretty cool in my opinion it'll be neat to hear some new artists
hopefully the boys will play again this year
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

It looks good. I wonder how the crowd will be with all of the mainstream big acts. They seem to go more and more mainstream on the headliners every year... I do hope the Slip will be back for their sake but I personally doubt I will be at a Bonnaroo anytime soon. It's so far away for me and I don't know if I'd want to do it w/o a RV and some sort of access.
tyler
From the Gecko

Metallica is hilariously terrible. why on earth would the Bonnaroo people want anything to do with them? they're the antithesis of everything music festival. oh well, it'll draw crowds away from the side stages I suppose.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I definately think it's an interesting move in the past year to move more mainstream. I've liked a lot of the unheard of bands and indie bands they've pulled in the past year, but now it's like they've totally forgotten their roots.. I mean that's the way a lot of these big fests are any more now too.. except for like wakurasa...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Pstehley wrote:I've liked a lot of the unheard of bands and indie bands they've pulled in the past year, but now it's like they've totally forgotten their roots.. I mean that's the way a lot of these big fests are any more now too.. except for like wakurasa...
i see alot of people making this argument, but what exactly were the roots of this fest to begin with? compare the lineups from year to year, and and not only have they gotten more diverse, the amount of acts continues to grow. if i counted right, i think there were something like 40some bands at the first 'roo. check out the lineup. could that roster sell 70k+ nowadays? i don't think so. if the promoters' original intentions were to draw crowds in excess of 100k based soley on acts from the jam scene, they would have gone bankrupt years ago. ::cough:: berkfest ::cough::.

look at the second year. there is already an influx of both more mainstream and "indie" acts. the inclusion of neil young, james brown, jason mraz, o.a.r, sonic youth and the flaming lips shows a deliberate attempt to appeal to broader and different markets. it seems to me that the promoters are sticking to their roots. superfly is from new orleans and jazzfest always has one of the most inclusive and varied lineup year in and year out. seems to me the promoters have always been working towards this jazzfest/european style festival hybrid.

if anything i think alot of the people bitching about what bonnraoo has become should be thankful they still place a heavy emphasis on bands from the jam scene. i mean come on, where else does a band like ekoostik hookah have a shot at getting on the same bill as tortoise?
putty
From the Gecko

I think they're just talking about the mainstream headlining acts.

I've never seen Metallica, but back in the early 90s, I heard they put on an amazing show. I've never seen Pearl Jam either, but I've only heard great things about their shows too.

the way the music industry is now, with SO many good bands out there that can get an audience through the internet, Bonnaroo is doing a great job of getting the ones who are making interesting music, no matter what genre it is.

personally, i would've headlined this fest with My Morning Jacket, Radiohead and Wilco, but I'm not surprised at seeing who the headliners are. the headliners have frequently been bigger, more widely known acts. The Police, Tool, Tom Petty, Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, Neil Young, etc.

We'll see how these bands do this year. I guess I won't see, since there's no way in hell I'd go without a hotel room and a limo.
tyler
From the Gecko

The Langerado lineup looks like the best festival that's been announced thus far. too bad it doesn't fall on my spring break this year. :(

though then again I don't really have any desire to camp out with tons of sketched out hippies in a swamp again, so, yeah.
ScS
From the Gecko

im hoping that the slip gets a shot at lollapalooza. it'd be a huge opportunity at even more exposure.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
bitchtits
Alsoa

sounds like woodstock 08 if ball sucking headliners like that are the new era of this festival i will never attend
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

Katie
Invocation

bitchtits wrote:sounds like woodstock 08 if ball sucking headliners like that are the new era of this festival i will never attend
Heh. Yeah, Woodstock '99 would be the one and only time I saw Metallica, and the world saw how that festival turned out. :x

There's nothing quite like having been through a riot like that to deter you from going anywhere near a festival that big that doesn't sound like it's worth it.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Rothbury lineup

At least new festivals are popping up, for example the Rothbury Festival which has a sickkk lineup:
Dave Matthews Band
Widespread Panic
John Mayer
Phil Lesh and Friends
Primus
Thievery Corporation
Snoop Dogg
Modest Mouse
Michael Franti and Spearhead
Gov’t Mule
Sound Tribe Sector Nine
Colbie Caillat
Slightly Stoopid
The Black Keys
Yonder Mountain String Band with Jon Fishman
Gogol Bordello
Citizen Cope
Keller Williams and The WMD’S
The Disco Biscuits
Medeski Martin & Wood
Ray LaMontagne
Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Soul Stew Revival
Drive-By Truckers
Of Montreal
The Dresden Dolls
Gomez
Brett Dennen
Taj Mahal
Mike Gordon
Zappa Plays Zappa
Crystal Method DJ Set
JJ Grey & MOFRO
The Greyboy Allstars
The Secret Machines
Beth Orton
Jakob Dylan and the Green Mountain Rebels
A 3
Bettye Lavette
Lotus
Yard Dogs Road Show
State Radio
The Beautiful Girls
Sage Francis
Tea Leaf Green
Emmitt Nershi Band
EOTO
Panjea with Michael Kang
Railroad Earth
Bassnectar
Pnuma Trio
Diplo
Flosstradamus
The Juan Mclean
The Dynamites featuring Charles Walker
Dead Confederate
DJ Rekha
Motion Potion
DJ Rootz
SOJOURN
Busdriver
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

disappointing roo lineup so far, especially with metallica. i only really could give a crap about pearl jam, MMJ, BSS, and Sigur Ros. not worth the grand it would cost to go. poo poo for sure.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

the Coachella lineup is amazing.

is anyone aware of festivals or good northeast shows goin on the 3rd week of April. its my spring break
Guinness

Jambase Festival Calendar

Here is where you find all the festivals:

Jambase Festival Calendar

If you know of one that's not on there, you can add it!
Phrazz

Langerado or bust

Definitely going to Langerado. Definitely working. Definitely partying.

Maybe also Rothbury (best lineup I've seen so far this summer).