Ralph Nader please take a nap...

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Will Ralph Nader upset the Presidential race?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Are you kidding me? He's had his chance twice, and blew it!
8%
He was the spoiler in 2000, and again in 2004. Definitely!
25%
Hard to say -- I don't trust these steenkin' voting machines!
42%
Ralph Nader will surprise everyone by winning the general election!
No votes
Hopefully he will die before the general election.
8%
No, at the last minute he will bail out.
No votes
I'm voting for Rush Limbaugh.
17%

Total votes: 12

Phrazz

Ralph Nader please take a nap...

Message to Ralph Nader from Anonymous

(link courtesy of Sam Gustin)
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

We're screwed forever if crappy candidates pass the buck for being crappy canditates. Would you stand for only TWO CHIOCES of candy bar?
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I hate Nader. I do hate the two party system but the way it seems to work with these Nader runs is that he siphons off candidates from the Democrats primarily. If there were some more conservative 3rd party candidates who could pull a couple percent of the vote I might feel differently but the Right is really good that way. Just look at they way they are holding their noses and getting behind McCain. If Huckabee were in it as an independent I might feel differently but after 2 elections Nader must know what he's doing.
ScS
From the Gecko

i don't blame nader. i blame the multitude of non-voters for letting 2000 and 2004 slip away.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Big Bob
From the Gecko

there has been some shady business going on with the hanging chads and electronic voting machines. still, nader running doesn't help the democratic party's cause. he has some good ideas, but its pretty obvious that if the democratic party can't even come close to nominating denis kucinich that ralph nader doesn't stand a chance in the national election.

even though his campaign has been pretty damn conservative, i really hope that obama will actually make some significant changes regarding unemployment/the environment/our military expeditions/education/the war on drugs...so many things that need an improvement.

part of me thinks that maybe he understands what it takes to be elected and then, once elected, he will actually be the president that we've been waiting for...but most days i'm more pessimistic than that.

"mortal america's here" allen ginsberg, 1972
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

That was pretty funny, but I like Anonymous better when they're slagging the Scientologists.

Blaming Nader for a stolen election is a crutch for those who can't face the reality of just how COMPLETEY FUCKED UP AND BROKEN our electoral process is.

Here, watch this:

http://www.gp.org/2008-elections/display.php?ID=14

I'm not saying you should vote Green. Vote for whoever you want. I am "lucky" enough to live in a state that is so completely guaranteed to go Dem that I can vote to try and keep alive the dream of someday having a choice to vote for something other than the Corporate party (Republicrats/Demoplicans). So I'll keep voting third party.

(Although if the two Dems can get over their egos enough to run a "dream ticket" I might hold my nose and vote for them just so I can pull the lever for a winning ticket without a white male on it. And I do think they would win. In fact, my feeling is that if they don't team up, the Dems could very well lose again. But that's one fool's opinion.)

hoby
tyler
From the Gecko

Obama will hold onto more liberals than Kerry or Gore could. might be more of an issue with Clinton but I still doubt it. Nader's time has come and gone, I think far fewer people will pay attention to him this year. i can't help but think he's a bit self-aggrandizing, but he IS a politician, third party or not.
putty
From the Gecko

exactly, tyler. the liberals have their candidate, and he's going to get enough support for it not to matter.

when Gore was running, he wasn't exactly an exciting candidate, and kerry was even worse. obama is going to generate a lot more interest and voters. meanwhile, a huge chunk of republicans are pissed about how things have turned out under g-dubs.

nader will get less than 1 percent of the vote.
deezel

hoby wrote:Blaming Nader for a stolen election is a crutch for those who can't face the reality of just how COMPLETEY FUCKED UP AND BROKEN our electoral process is.
bingo. its really fucked up to say 'i hate nader'. he did more for the consumer and fought the 'machine' in the 70's than anyone else. read up on him.

and he wasnt a spoiler in 00 or 04, none of the votes he got impacted the elections enough to ruin it for gore or kerry.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Hate is a strong word but it was how I was feeling when he announced his candidacy. He was a spoiler in 2000 and though I don't blame him for the millions of idiots who voted for Bush I do think his run in '04 as well as the funds he accepted from major Republican donors was reprehensible. I do respect all of his work in consumer safety and advocacy and wish he would go back to that.