favourite new SMMD song

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

favourite new SMMD song

i really dig all the new tunes by the band but i think my favourites are definitly one sick knave/gonna have to move, love the chord progression and build up to the solo
i also reallyyy dig emily green especailly brads woooh oooohs back up part in the chorus
and of course the as the crow flies by from 2008-04-22 is wonderful, brad is great at singing the motown style falsetto
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

joelle :shock:
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
bitchtits
Alsoa

Sissyfussssufyssis
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

etahn
From the Gecko

I guess When A Woman isn't exactly new, but it made my night. Every night. And all of the next week too.

I think Joelle is amazing. I think Davis needs to do some set analysis and put that one in the Jerry Ballad spot. It's the kind of tune that breaks my heart (and that's the highest compliment I can pay).
The world really is magic
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Emily Green was the first 'favorite' for me but lately Roses and Bottles & Joelle have been stuck in my head. Also like One Sick Knave...
bear
From the Gecko

mine is "I'm no good at all". I love andrew's beat.

etahn: Joelle is no Stella Blue - Ha!
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
etahn
From the Gecko

bear wrote:etahn: Joelle is no Stella Blue - Ha!
Maybe not yet. But in '72, Stella Blue was no Stella blue either.
The world really is magic
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I love those early 70's Stella Blue's. I know they developed the jam more later but I just love that spare, one drummer + Keith sound with the young Jerry voice. Also love Comes a Time, Wharf Rat, China Doll, Black Peter and to jump ahead Days Between!

But to get back to Mr. Davis I also really like No Rest for the Wicked, though the jam does remind me of the Rubber Ball jam. Dumbo is also really growing on me. It is one of those sad Nathan songs that didn't grab me at first but as I listen to the shows more and more it starts to etch itself into my consciousness more and more.

As far as covers go Hold On I'm Coming is just plain awesome! I actually bought an mp3 of the original because I was listening to the Davis version so much. If we had unlimited budget we would totally try to hire the wedding band for our wedding in June but getting all those guys down to Mexico would be a trick for sure!

Mr. Davis does do great covers on the whole. I know their trip is based around originals but I totally love 19th Nervous of course, and I even liked Intimate Secretary at HSMF last year. I dig the Raconteurs for sure and even though Davis' version was pretty sloppy it was fun.

Does anyone know the deal with As The Crow Flies? Is that a cover?
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

I'd have to say Emily Green for the moment but that has changed 3-4 times since last week. Started out with Little Boat, then Joelle, then Roses and Bottles.

I agree on When a Woman. It was the highlight for me at the Higher Ground. I just love how that song has developed over the past year and a half. It's been a fav since the first time I heard it. That song just smokes.

Harry, congrats on the Wedding!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

As The Crow Flies and Little Boat are Brad's tunes. Some of the others new ones are Nathan's and a lot of them are collaborations of Brad and Nathan's.
putty
From the Gecko

When a Woman has been my favorite SMMD song since the first time I heard it.

just from this Fall River show, my favorite song that I've never heard before is I'm No Good At All