thanks, trent reznor.

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

thanks, trent reznor.

Phrazz

another free "album"

Yeah, just saw this myself. Funny the name of the new album is "The Slip".

Sheesh! Should we even call these "albums" anymore?

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/05/nin ... nails.html

BTW, is this good publicity for The Slip (the band, the ones we know and love)?
tyler
From the Gecko

Well, for now, Wikipedia-ing "The Slip" still goes to the band's entry, with a link at the top saying "if you meant the NIN album blah blah blah..." We'll see how long it takes for that to become a disambiguation page, though. In the mean time, maybe lots of early high school aged gothy mallrats will discover the band by accident (the ones who didn't already discover them via Guitar Hero that is).

only kidding NIN fans!

in all seriousness. I think it sucks. now "The Slip" will always make people think of the NIN album, and not of the band. and next time The Slip have a new album, every review and every bit of press will have to say "yeah these guys have nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, in fact they predate that album!" but it won't matter.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

meh. is nine inch nails even remotely still relevant?
bear
From the Gecko

not in my world. never got into them. i don't think its that big of a deal
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
tyler
From the Gecko

aaaaactually NIN still has a very large following. especially ever since Trent started releasing all his music for free whenever he damn well pleased, earlier this year. many people regarded Year Zero as a return to form, although I thought it was laughably bad. but I liked some of the instrumental album he put out a few months ago and the single he put up last week was pretty good. and this, of course, is getting huge amounts of press.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

not to get all litigious and shit, but maybe they can sue? they do hold rights to the name the slip, i believe, and the nin album is a piece of music so there should be a clear conflict right?

otherwise, im naming my next album "led zeppelin" or "kiss".
putty
From the Gecko

it's not a big deal at all.

the slip fans will always know what you're talking about.

and who cares if some random nine inch nails fan thinks of his favorite band everytime you mention "the slip," instead of thinking of BAM.

it may actually give them slightly more attention, if anything, just from people talking or thinking about the coincidence.

let's face it, "The Slip" is a cool name for anything, so i'm not surprised it was used for an album name.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

If they do have some good legal grounds I think they should sue. (or else call their next album Nine Inch Nails!)
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

tyler wrote:in all seriousness. I think it sucks. now "The Slip" will always make people think of the NIN album, and not of the band. and next time The Slip have a new album, every review and every bit of press will have to say "yeah these guys have nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, in fact they predate that album!" but it won't matter.
who gives a shit? whys it matter?

sue? are you people serious? its just words. fuck, the band quicksand had an album called the slip back in the early 90s.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
bouche
Alsoa

I started a thread about this same news on jambands.ca and one of our members did a little trademark digging.

He Wrote:
To be really, REALLY brief... the important thing is what "goods & services" a trademark is registered under. The Slip has registered under "entertainment services, namely, live performances by a musical group", so the question would be - does that apply to an album title?

Word Mark THE SLIP
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: entertainment services, namely, live performances by a musical group. FIRST USE: 19921201. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19921201
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75552815
Filing Date September 14, 1998
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition June 1, 1999
Registration Number 2272338
Registration Date August 24, 1999
Owner (REGISTRANT) Slip Partnership, The Marc Friedman, a U.S. citizen; Brad Barr, a U.S. citizen; and Andrew Barr, a U.S. citizen PARTNERSHIP MASSACHUSETTS 109 Williams Street Providence RHODE ISLAND 02906
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
maybe there is some action happening right now? I heard from a friend that freidman changed his email signature in gmail to http://theslip.nin.com

is that a protest or respect?[/quote]
Smoove Smiff
Yaki Soba

Gotta agree with Diesel, this conversation is truly ridiculous. As much as I love The Slip, this argument against NIN using "The Slip" as an album title is as effective as saying I couldn't name one of my paintings "Mona Lisa," or I couldn't name a future child "Brad," "Marc" or "Andrew."

Next topic, please...
putty
From the Gecko

I was the first one to say that this shouldn't matter at all, and Diesel is getting all the credit for it.

I'm thinking about filing a lawsuit. How would one do that?
Smoove Smiff
Yaki Soba

Nice, man...my point exactly.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I'm gonna sue all of you jerks because I said that about suing and you're calling me stupid... that's libel :) :) :)