another 216

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bear
From the Gecko

another 216

last night i checked out the Slip's myspace page (not sure why, nothing about it ever changes) and the total plays for the day was of course: 216

love it
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I check out The Slip's myspace page once in a while too, hoping for signs of life which just aren't there. It just blows my mind that they don't put up something about taking a break from the road or something. I was actually shocked when the recent Mr. Davis dates popped up on theslip.com. They are just totally wiping out any momentum they had gotten with Eisenhower, MMJ tour, tv appearances, etc. If I were a new fan and checked out either their myspace page or their web page in the last 8 months I would think that these guys had just fallen off the face of the earth or got abducted by aliens or something.
tyler
From the Gecko

I think they just sort of ended up in a weird spot where they had alienated the jam crowd, but at the same time, despite the MMJ tour and the tv and all that, they weren't really accepted by the indie crowd either. so it was just an awkward middle ground.

but this is all off topic.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I don't get the sense that they had really been accepted by the indie crowd but there still is a lot of love for them in the jam crowd. Yeah, there will be some bitchers and moaners that want them to play Yellow Medicine again but all in all there is a lot of love for The Slip out there, I just hope they realize that.

Though after posting previously about them never updating the website I did check and there are some updates as of 5/5 at... get this (and it IS on topic) at 2:16PM :)

They also have a joke entry about The Slip releasing a new album called Nine Inch Nails...
tyler
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote:They also have a joke entry about The Slip releasing a new album called Nine Inch Nails...
hahaha oh man I just saw that. outstanding.
r.c.
Yaki Soba

Brighton your Day

Read 'another 216' the other day
this happend this morning, thought about
sharing this coincidence.

Bought 'cheap' bouquet of flowers for Wife.

flowers: $16.99
tax: $ 0.85
______
total: $17.84

cash: $20.00

change: $2.16

Growing her a garden :wink:
putty
From the Gecko

tyler wrote:I think they just sort of ended up in a weird spot where they had alienated the jam crowd, but at the same time, despite the MMJ tour and the tv and all that, they weren't really accepted by the indie crowd either. so it was just an awkward middle ground.

but this is all off topic.

i was expecting them to put out another album within a year, with all the new songs they had right as Eisenhower came out. i'm sure they learned a lot in the production and release of Eisenhower and the next album would've been another step forward, but it looks like all the momentum is gone.

i'm sure being in a band these days is tough. i don't blame them at all. I'm sure they're tired of a lot of the things you have to deal with (mainly uncertainty and lack of stability, along with the grind of the tour) as a band. let's hope they focus on SMMD a lot. nathan is a song factory of sorts, so i can see how that would help them a lot. and the slip can still be their old selves a little bit within the context of a SMMD show.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

putty wrote: i was expecting them to put out another album within a year, with all the new songs they had right as Eisenhower came out. i'm sure they learned a lot in the production and release of Eisenhower and the next album would've been another step forward, but it looks like all the momentum is gone.
They totally do have a killer album already written. Broke the Promised Land, Ooh Belle, Gaunt Debutante, Portrait of a Scientist, There's A Lie, Black Telephone. They could open it with the new arrangement of All I Saw Was You...

Of course they had a couple albums written before Eisenhower as well. Chasing Rabbits, Wine and White Soda, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up, Old George, Proud, etc...
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I'd love to see chasing rabbits on an album.. it's been a long time since they've pulled that out as well..

gotta remember.. supposedly they were thinking about doing a SMMD album (which I would love to see, especially with a subsequent tour)..

I'm sure they'll have something in the works coming up.. give them some time...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver