VT suggestions?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

VT suggestions?

hi folks, currently enroute to Vermont from Oakland where I'll be visiting family in st albans, not far from Canada.

Any good places to visit, spots to grab a drink, or music to check out between now and Thursday? We may head to Montreal, so if you have suggestions there too, I'm all ears.
Katie
Invocation

Can't help too much with Montreal suggestions, but for stuff going on, check the calendar of <a href="http://www.7dvt.com/sdvt_event/day-view ... s-3">Seven Days.</a> (It's a weekly, free, alternative newspaper that's based out of Burlington but they list happenings outside of the area too.)

Looking at the calendar, Wed looks like the best night to catch some music in Burlington. It's about a 40 minute drive south straight down I89. Cannon Fodder and The Low Anthem, who you'll recognize from the last SMMD tour, are at the Monkey in Winooski at 9pm.

Nectar's is also doing a happy-hour now with $2 local microbrews (try a Switchback!) and W.E.S.T is playing from 5:30-7:30. <a href="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... .E.S.T.</a> is a mostly-improv, jazz project featuring members of Japhy Ryder, Gravel and sometimes others. My husband is playing bass this week, so I'm a bit biased in suggesting this one.... but you can't beat a good beer special and no cover! 8)

I've only been to St Albans a few times, but I know there's some nice restaurants. The bars always seemed a little sketchy though.
lumpy
From the Gecko

Thanks for the suggestions Katie! Sounds like it may be a Nectars > Monkeyhouse kind of night.

This state is so gorgeous. Had some good beer at a pub/restaurant near cherry and church in burlington - and am looking forward to drinking more VT beer shortly...
tyler
From the Gecko

VT beer is the best beer.

Tony Clifton (yes, THAT Tony Clifton) is "playing" at Higher Ground tomorrow evening. I can't go. Really wish I could as I really can't imagine what that scene is going to be like.
putty
From the Gecko

Tony Clifton played in Athens a few months ago. Apparently it was exactly like you would imagine it to be.
tyler
From the Gecko

So...uncontrolled debauched chaos?
putty
From the Gecko

yep
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Andy Lives!!!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

My old boss was very good friends and even house mates with Kaufman. Unfortunately he is definitely dead. I tend to think he would like the fact that here it is 2008 and Tony Clifton is still gigging.