Broken Social Scene on Halloween

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

Broken Social Scene on Halloween

I've got an opportunity to go see Broken Social Scene on Halloween in Montreal. however, this is one night after David Byrne, also in Montreal, and I'd rather not go to Montreal two nights in a row (and staying there overnight is waaaaay too expensive). and plus, I saw BSS about a year ago and was less than impressed--then again, it was a terrible venue, and it was seriously BSS-lite. I'd love to see them if they had the full compliment of members (including at least one of the girls) and they played more real BSS songs, not the Kevin Drew/Brendan Canning solo nonsense. so...anyone who sees them on their current tour, wanna tell me how it is? Thanks.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

just go to one of the crraaazyyyy halloween parties in montreal instead, my friends always go to WaterCan and supposedly its the best fucking party of the year, hit that !
tyler
From the Gecko

Land of Talk has been announced as an opener.
Okay, I have to go now.
bear
From the Gecko

really? Land of Talk is your selling point? I was not impressed with their new album despite the presence of Andrew. BSS Lite i thought was still amazing. i think the kevin drew album is fantastic and the Canning was a pleasant surprise - I wasn't expecting that much from his solo endeavor.

according to wikipedia, their 2008 touring line up is

2008: Kevin Drew, Brendan Canning, Justin Peroff, Charles Spearin, Sam Goldberg, Amy Millan, Evan Cranley, Elizabeth Powell

however it is l;abeled as the "Something for all of us.... Tour" so there may be a lot of material from the Canning disc
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
tyler
From the Gecko

the Kevin Drew album grew on me a lot. I've hoped that the Canning album would do the same but it actually did the opposite--I liked it on first listen, but after the fourth and fifth listen, I realized I still couldn't remember any of the songs. just buried under a muddy mess of production.

love the new Land of Talk though. something about the contrast between the dissonant guitars and the fragility in Lizzie's voice really gets me.
tyler
From the Gecko

well that was awesome. about a million times better than the trainwreck of a show they played last year at UVM. mostly because this time they had a full 13-member contingent, with Lizzie Powell playing the role of BSS girl. and only 3 songs from Canning's album. 2.5 hour show. lots of fun. and Land of Talk was great too, even if it wasn't Andrew on drums (at least I don't think it was, but the drummer was wearing a giraffe costume so I'll never be certain).