sliplive

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

r.c.
Yaki Soba

Re: paper birds

Phrazz wrote:I wonder if the "landlord" has been plugging any paper birds lately. :lol:
Wonder no more, as my Japanese Powerline Model 4500 CO2
0.177CAL (4.5MM) ROGERS AR 72757 will be plugging away
at many inanimate targets close to but not as likey to resemble
the birds of old this Spring, but can be coined paper squirrels or
whatever. Even-tho air guns are not allowed in my commuity,
responsiblity dictates, but do not tell anybody anyways. :wink:
Just target practice.
Phrazz

r.c. wrote:
Phrazz wrote:I wonder if the "landlord" has been plugging any paper birds lately. :lol:
Wonder no more, as my Japanese Powerline Model 4500 CO2
0.177CAL (4.5MM) ROGERS AR 72757 will be plugging away
at many inanimate targets close to but not as likey to resemble
the birds of old this Spring, but can be coined paper squirrels or
whatever. Even tho air guns are not allowed in my community,
responsibility dictates, but do not tell anybody anyways. :wink:
Just target practice.
Best. Thread-jack. Ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok...so next time I'm in town, let's plug some paper squirrels instead. ;)
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

my god this place is a morgue, i'm at the library right now and its more exciting

anyone wanna post a sweet show to lift some spirits? maybe some old vids? anyone checking out Brad at the green room in montreal on the 31? any news on the davis album.....i'm all out of ideas on conversation starters here
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

I seriously hope they're not done. I know Brad seemed to be taking somewhat a more folk route in his new stuff, but they were doing things I hadn't really seen before. I'm a big fan of Wine and White Soda and There's a Lie, and the new Solomon they've played these last few years (earliest I heard it was 2007, latest was 'dise '08), and I dig the direction they're taking things. I especially liked hearing Marc play more guitar, such as he did with There's a Lie in the Independent shows out in San Fran (I've got one recording and I've seen his solo from another show a few days later on youtube).

I just feel like the stuff I heard was going places, and that there was a lot more to be developed from them. And, I like Brad's solo stuff a lot, but I think that playing it with the Slip might actually help bring it out to a new level.
stephen
Lion on a Rock

And that's what I enjoyed the most about the Slip (and now miss the most): everytime I saw them, they were a little bit further down the road music development-wise. If I went a couple months between seeing them, I knew they'd have a whole bunch of new stuff to lay on me. They were always constantly evolving....not too many bands like that.
Phrazz

amusement of thought

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:my god this place is a morgue, i'm at the library right now and its more exciting

anyone wanna post a sweet show to lift some spirits? maybe some old vids? anyone checking out Brad at the green room in montreal on the 31? any news on the davis album.....i'm all out of ideas on conversation starters here
The world is not here to amuse us -- on the contrary -- we are here to amuse the world!!! Boredom originates in the mind, not on the outside (from the inside). Don't blame boredom on anything quiescent or external...stir it up within yourself. Is a tree boring? Then maybe you need to climb it instead of staring at it. Some people chop it down just because they're bored (but I don't recommend that, unless you have a use for it and there's no other solution...trees have friends, ya know?).

Rememeber that BAM reads this (maybe not daily, or maybe when they're bored ;) ). When I'm bored, I go play guitar or find one of dozens of things to do. Creativity is not something that we can demand of others -- we have to demand it of ourselves. It is perhaps the biggest challenge of all art (that includes writing and music as well as painting).

I'd also say if you're truly bored, then you're not busy enough. I'd give you something to do, but that's not my job. You have to find something you like or that challenges you. I know what works for me -- you may find that one week something works and the next week something else -- but if you don't try, you'll never know.

I still want to take up hang-gliding...maybe someday. But I'm happy just jumping off high places (into water) and not having wings. I don't find that more or less boring, but it beats just standing on the cliff watching others do it.

Also, if you're in the library and it's boring, are you there just to kill time? My library has thousands of books, many of which are eminently fascinating. Being *in* a library is certainly boring if you're not reading, but libraries themselves are essentially magnificent repositories of the least boring things that people experience in all societies (or else why write a book)? That's a literary theory anyways...plenty of books suck (just like plenty of bands suck)...but how will you know if you sit at the library and stare at the walls?

Mausoleums also are not boring, if you learn about the dead people inside.

I can't write anything remotely "interesting" without challenging someone or something. In this case, I'm challenging a concept -- but I'm also challenging you to think of the concept in a different way. However, that won't really matter if you don't try something interesting or challenging...just talking about it goes less than halfway.

Some people say chess is boring. I find it very exciting (but slow games not as much so). Is there any hobby you've thought of but want to be better at? That's all I have for now...I'll think about this some more, but not until I try something new myself.

Yesterday I tried something new. I'm not really a drummer, but we had a bassist and a guitarist, and the drummer bailed and took his cymbals. There were still drums, but no metal. So, I immediately thought "What would Droo do???" and looked around the garage, hitting various metallic objects with drumsticks, to find out which sounded even remotely like cymbals. The answer was literally right underneath my ass! I got up, grabbed another chair, and used the metal chair on the left side as a high hat and crash (different places on the chair had different tones). The other three in our lame-assed garage band cracked up, but ten minutes later we were rocking out and I was having fun with the "chair cymbal"...then I was thinking...was this cymbal more of a symbol of the chair being the solution to the boredom we were facing without the standard routine of our accepted understanding of what was a cymbal? What about our standard routine of symbolic awareness.

Go back to your morgue and turn it into something interesting, then you will find out the answer was in your mind all along. Better yet -- go explore. Create an adventure.

-Phrazz

P.S.: The answer to the question "is it over?" is:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

[...with apologies to the immortal General John Belushi. ; ) ]
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i don't even know how to respond to all that hahah, well done phrazz
Twitter: @lucsamuels
r.c.
Yaki Soba

Phrazz wrote:
Best. Thread-jack. Ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it was, needed the help.

Phrazz wrote:
ok...so next time I'm in town, let's plug some paper squirrels instead. ;)[/quote][/quote]

Yes, that will be amusing.
...... :wink: at least for a little while.