record players

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Big Bob
From the Gecko

record players

Anyone have advice on how to go about buying a record player? Just looking for it to be functional and able to plug into a stereo system (or even an amp) easily enough.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i guess alot of it depends on your budget. are you trying to buy a new or used turntable? if your system doesn't have phono input you'll prob need a preamp as well (some turntables have them built in). i've been collecting for about 3.5 years now and it's definitely become the biggest addiction in my life.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

was hoping to spend less than 200 bucks but my max is prob about $300. I would consider a used one, but i've heard that the used ones can be more trouble than they're worth...need new parts, the needle is old and worn down, etc.

i'm not exactly sure what a phono input would look like. nothing on my amp is labeled as such.
lumpy
From the Gecko

hey there bob,

check out some indpendent electronic/stereo stores in your area. I got a great Dual turntable from the 70's with a new cartridge for $60. If a store will offer you some sort of assurance on a used table, you should be fine....a new decent cartridge can be had for around $70 (I like Grado personally...but only because I trust that company).

Phono input would be labeled as such....the turntable puts out a very low signal, so you need either a phono input which boosts the signal, or a pre-amp to boost the signal before it hits your typical RCA inputs.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

thanks for the advice,

a quick internet search revealed no local electronics stores, but there has to be one somewhere around boston. i'll look into it after work. it would be great to get a used turntable with a new cartridge for cheap(ish).
tim
The Weight of Solomon

yeah, a vintage can definitely give you the most bang for your buck. you gotta make sure you're getting a reconditioned one from reputable seller though. you don't want something clunking out on you and not knowing what to do with it. i think diesel got a vintage dual from somewhere in mass. maybe he can chime in with that shop's website. if you want to spend $200 and under i'd look into going this route

if you're gonna buy new then i'd suggest staying away from some of those cheaper ones you see like the ones with the usb port. personally i never saw the point of those if your reason for getting a turntable soley to listen to vinyl. the low level "audiophile" tables by pro-ject, rega and music hall are gonna start around $350.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

im going to make this easy for you. go here:

Audio Pro
779 Mt. Auburn St.
Watertown, MA 02472
Phone: (617) 926-8020 / Fax: (617) 926-8707
www.audioproz.com

talk to vince the owner. ask a couple of questions and bring a tape recorder so you can listen to his hour long monologue about analog. if he confuses you ask him to explain, b/c he might think you know what he's talking about.

after doing some research, i bought a dual cs5000 from him and he shipped it to baltimore and i've been happy since.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
bitchtits
Alsoa

I know my dad has alot of records he was trying to get burned on to cds, and he went to target. He found a player for about $100 and it plugs into stereo or your computer whatever you want. It looked like a great buy, I was thinking of getting one myself...good luck

Brian
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

Big Bob
From the Gecko

sweet, thanks guys.

i'll check out Audio Pro tomorrow when i have time.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

Went to audio pro and got a Philips 212 and a preamp. They were super helpful and knew their stuff. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, diesel.

The first album that I put on is Monk in Motian which I got at a place down the street.

Thelonious Monk tunes covered by:

Paul Motian
Bill Frisell
Joe Lovano

so good.

!
Last edited by Big Bob on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

i love vinyl... so addicting tho
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Inquiry: You can buy USB ones and transfer the music to your computer to digital format (if you want it), too, right?
tim
The Weight of Solomon