YOUR thoughts on the Davis Name Change

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

How do you feel about Surprise Me Mr. Davis changing their name?

Strongly For
No votes
Mildly For
No votes
Don't Care
19%
Mildly Against
57%
Strongly Against
24%

Total votes: 21

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I honestly don't see that as much of an issue these days.. there are plenty of bands out there with loooooong much more difficult to pronounce names n'at... I do understand that reasoning, I don't agree with it, afterall the name is kind of part of the band...

and I also agree that is probably the shortest post from Phrazz I've ever seen.. ;) :lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tyler
From the Gecko

I don't really understand why they would...seems like they'd have nothing to gain and a bit to lose if they changed their name. They might confuse some fans into thinking they were done, but its not like anyone is holding off on listening to the band because of the name...especially with a memorable, unique name like Surprise Me Mr Davis. and plus it's cool and interesting and has sentimental value!
Phrazz

not my shortest post

magpie wrote:oh and phrazz... i do believe that's the shortest post i've ever seen from you! ;)
Poppycock! 8)
Phrazz

tim wrote:i don't really see them losing out on much. if they feel like it's in their creative and or business interest to do so, have at it.
What if they wanted to change their name once a month, then how would you feel? ;)
tim wrote:at the end of the day slip/smmd fans are a diehard bunch.
Of course...it won't scare the regular fans from going to the shows, and at face value, a shorter name is easier to remember.
tim wrote: i don't see too many people being left out of the loop. even if we're not talking we're still paying attention and word will get around by the time they're ready to drop the album and hit the road.
True...they won't just change the name and start touring...or start touring under the new name right away (or will they?)
tim wrote: it'll be interesting to see what they change it to though
Now that I think of this again...how many songs have changed names how many times? Some maybe three times? Or more if you count working titles. So a band name change...we're used to it by now.
tim wrote: i always though six syllables in a band's name was pushing it.
And seven syllables is definitely way over the limit! ;)
tim wrote:seems like most established bands just tweak their name to make an f'ing awful name less shitty (see umelt and the breakfest). but there's also the rare occasion that a band changes it's name and makes one of the best rock anthems ever (jefferson starship 'we built this city'), maybe that'll be the case for SMMD.
I thought "Psychedelic Breakfast" was a much better name and had a ring to it. "Breakfast" or "The Breakfast" is just too normal to be interesting. And breakfast typically isn't my most interesting meal of the day.

A simple name like "The Beatles" carries so much meaning with just a basic pun. And we all have lots of respect for "The Slip". Would it be fathomable for The Slip to change their name?

I just happen to like the ring of "Surprise Me Mr. Davis" and hope they don't pick some goofy name I'll trip over when I tell my friends...that's all I meant by it. I also don't mean anything personal by "goofy"...who am I to judge? If there's thought in it and craftiness, I'm sure I'll grow to like it (or might just like it right away). But I'm not going to say I like it until I see it (or hear it) for the first time. I like to reserve judgement even if it's not right to judge...we're all critics or why bother having any opinions at all if we're not going to share them?

Criticism of music (art) hearkens back to the philosophy of aesthetics, but that's also redundant and way beyond the subject matter. In comparison, I didn't like the angry red background at first either...then after Jeff spiffed it up, I grew to like it. Red is now one of my seven favorite colors (behind green, blue, violet, orange, aquamarine and lightgoldenrodyellow :D ).

Then we have to go back to the "Led Zeppelin" name argument...at first, people thought it was a stupid name (and a joke, thanks to Moon). But it was just silly enough that it caught on. And noone would accuse Zep of being a silly band (except fools), but they were way more soaring than their name would suggest (epically transcendent and even revolutionary, according to most who at least pretend to care about music).

However, this was also the beginning of the "opposition movement" in superlatives. People say "man, that was the *bomb*" when they mean really fantastic, as in "you guys really blew that shit up!!!", so in that sense, "bombtastic" or "exploding enema" might be a GREAT band name...I mean a real BAD band name (BAD = the new "good"). I say (in order of precedence):

"That was the bomb" = really good
"That was the bomb factory" = totally phenomenal
"That was the bomb lab" = mind-meltingly epic

I guess I could just say "epic", but now that's getting overused (well, so is "bomb"...I might have to start using more creative).

But at the end of the day, it doesn't amount to a flock of neutrons in a pile of uranium.

-From the primer to the charge,

Phrazz
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

From the recording of the Yankee - 2 of the top choices as of 5/26

Brad's top choice - Desi Deru
Nathan's - The Foolhearts
Phrazz

Moonshine by any other name tastes as sweet

Maybe that's "Desi Daru" (Indian variant) or "Desi Daroo" (aka "country liquor" or "moonshine")? Def. check that Wiki article...especially the part about the red flame. I also found this quote very enlightening: "over half the retail price of a bottle of distilled spirits typically consists of taxes". I would have guessed only 20 or 30%. 50% is outrageous! We should revolt! I'm also hoping that naming the band after a term for moonshine doesn't attract too many NASCAR types (for obvious reasons).

"Foolhearts" is definitely easier to remember, but it doesn't really grab me. "Foolhearty", however, is synonomous with "jackass", and I wouldn't want to name my band "The Jackasses" (that's just me).

Desi Daru (or whatever variation) is more mysterious of course.

Another new list:

Top 10 Most Ridiculous Band Names Ever

10. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
9. I Am The World Trade Center
8. Hootie & the Blowfish
7. Archers of Loaf
6. Mr. Mister
5. Bowling For Soup
4. Enuff Z'Nuff
3. Arctic Monkeys
2. Test Icicles
1. Limp Bizkit

Same author also said The Beatles was a stupid name, so take it with a pound of salt.

How about "The Rusty Nails"? ;)
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yes, it is the Indian liquor, I think Nathan or someone was saying that.

Foolhearts is obviously playing around with the notion of foolhardiness... From Merriam-Webster:

foolhardy
\ˈfül-ˌhär-dē\
Date:13th century
: foolishly adventurous and bold : rash
synonyms see adventurous
— fool·har·di·ly \-ˌhär-dəl-ē\ adverb
— fool·har·di·ness \-ˌhär-dē-nəs\ noun

I don't know if I would really characterize SMMD or it's members as generally foolhardy.

Out of those 2 I probably like Desi Deru (or Daroo) better (sorry Percy!) but then that almost gets them in more hot water as that is easily as complicated as Surprise Me Mr. Davis if not more so. The Foolhearts has a nice ring to it, kind of like The Raconteurs (who I love!) Not a big fan of the meaning however.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

ugh, yeah that's the one. desi daru.
sorry boys, but i don't dig it. that one's going to get way more "huh?" responses than surprise me mr davis ever has. at least smmd is made up of normal english words. why make the complicated more complicated?

the foolhearts... eh, i get the meaning thing, but it just doesn't grab me.

of all the suggestions i've heard, i like that early one The Pages the best. that and Davis (i'd thought of that before too harry). i think i mentioned that to nathan once, but he was not enthused.

ah well... it will be what it will be. i'd vote for smmd any day tho.
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>