quasi-official new music thread

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

probably not, but i cant see why you thought it was crap. i dont think it was as good as yoshimi or soft bulletin, but theres some quality songs on there. it just doesnt flow as nice as the other albums.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tyler
From the Gecko

i thought most of it was pretty weak. especially the Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, absolutely awful. Vein of Stars is excellent though.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2...zly_b.html
On September 18th Arts&Crafts will release, BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE PRESENTS KEVIN DREW, "SPIRIT IF..."

Kevin Drew's "Spirit If..." was recorded over the last two years at Ohad Benchetrits house in between social scene tours and day-to-day life.It was produced by Ohad Benchetrit, Kevin Drew, and Charles Spearin.

This is the first in the BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE PRESENTS series.Brendan Canning and company are currently recording the second in Toronto. It will be released early next year.

Drew and Canning, the two co-founders of Broken Social Scene decided to approach making records as solo projects. In the process the social scene community took part and played key supporting roles, thus giving birth to this series.

Along with the BSS crew, Drew has invited many other guests to perform on "Spirit If...".

The record unfolds like aemotional comic book. It's Drew's song-writing and all his favourite topics are addressed: fucking, fighting, fearing and hope. FFFH.

This fall Kevin Drew, Brendan Canning, Justin Peroff, along with new members will commence the "BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE PERFORMS" touring series.They will tour select songs from this album and a others from this series.
i remember reading somewhere that some people in the 'scene' had difficulty recording the last album. maybe that and the increased tensions between drew and canning may have led to this new approach. :? but it does lead to more music since vol 1 and 2 will probably be out in the next year.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tyler
From the Gecko

One of those Kevin Drew songs is up for download at Pitchfork. it's alright. nice enough, but seems kind of forgettable.
ScS
From the Gecko

the album was released last year but has anyone checked out i'm from barcelona's "let me introduce my friends". i can thank ted kartzman for letting me know about it through rhapsody. check it out if you're a fan of broken social scene. i think there are some similarities.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

ive been addicted to andrew bird for a while now, anyone else??
putty
From the Gecko

definitely. he's a badass. i only have his new album. i need to get the old stuff soon.

i went to the Athens Flagpole Awards Show last night. A local musician, who I'd heard of but hadn't seen yet, performed. Tin Cup Prophette. It's a girl who sometimes has a drummer and a guitar player, but is typically by herself. Anyway, she was great. Played a violin a lot like Andrew Bird, using loops a lot. Check her out if you get a chance.

and the award show was great.
Colin

www.hypem.com

place to go to find new music.
FILLED WITH MUSIC BLOG MP3s

thats where i got a bunch of andrew bird tracks.

by the way, PLAY PAUSE STOP is fuggin amazing.
i love joe's 5/4 guitar playing "powder"
tyler
From the Gecko

Colin wrote:ive been addicted to andrew bird for a while now, anyone else??
Oh definitely, he's great. Incredible live show too (Dan can back me up on this).
Colin

how i envy you
Colin

what bout electronica. ive just gotten into telefon tel aviv. and the new lymbyc systym album never gets boring to me
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Re: quasi-official new music thread

whats up party people! its been far too long. hope everyone had a happy holiday season.

i see we're back and better than ever :wink: so, thank you harry!

now, onto my very worthwhile post -
whats everyone listening to nowadays? i thoroughly enjoyed releases from the national, lcd soundsystem, and arcade fire (probably in that order). i was disappointed with the broken social scene release (maybe its a grower??). i also enjoyed the band of horses release and was underwhelmed by the mgmt release (though i thought it was good live). i was pleasantly surprised by the new neil young and flying lotus albums.

i'm looking forward to peter bjorn and john's new one.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Listening to the debut Yellowbirds album 'The Color' from Sam Cohen of Apollo Sunshine. It's pretty awesome to be honest. Also, I interviewed Sam today and I'll post the interview once its transcribed. The album is being released in a month or so.

Really excited for the debut album from Middle Brother, a band made up of the singers from Dawes, Deer Tick and Delta Spirit.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I've been meaning to check out Yellowbirds as well as the new Neil (Le Noise, right?)

Haven't been listening to too many other newish albums. Still digging on Dr. Dog "Shame" and BTS "There Is No Enemy". I like the new Marco "Between The Needles" as well as the new percy boyd record. Also digging into discographies of Pavement, Rolling Stones but that isn't new :)
bear
From the Gecko

I too am looking forward to the Middle Brother. Ive been listening to a lot of Delta Spirit. Dawes is my new fave and Deer Tick are RI's finest (well maybe its a tie with TLA) so Im well versed in their ways. I havent got any new albums in a while. I read the John Lennon article in RS so I got Plastic ONo Band and Double Fantasy. POB didnt really do anything for me but I love "Isolation". I also have been listening to the new Hendrix box set (west coast seattle boy) The 14 minute Stone Free on disc 4 is tremendous. other than that Phish (Holiday run) SLip/Davis (Holiday run), new Ryan Adams, a local pvd band called Tower and the Fool. Im looking forward to the new Nathan disc, Bright Eyes, iron and Wine, Low anthem.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com