Brad's voice

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Brad's voice

Does anyone else think that Brad's voice and range go a lot better with the stuff the Barr Brothers do rather than the Slip? I have some old slip shows where on some of the songs, Brads voice just sounds horrendous.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Re: Brad's voice

He definitely takes a less is more approach in the Barr Brothers. But he was much more adventurous in some of the old Slip stuff, not to say that it was always for the better given his range. How he hit some of the high stuff in the original Weight of Solomon is beyond me. I'm not that comfortable singing in F. That might be one of the reasons they changed it to D for the new arrangement.

I appreciate it all, nonetheless.
stephen
Lion on a Rock

I think Brad should focus on his strength: guitar playing. I know he's taken years of voice lessons, but singing is not his strong point - not in the Slip, nor the Barr Bros. I know he wants to do the singer-songwriter thing, and God love him for trying, but......
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I think Brad's voice is sounding great these days with both the Barr Brothers and The Slip. He really has learned to use it well.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

stephen wrote:I think Brad should focus on his strength: guitar playing. I know he's taken years of voice lessons, but singing is not his strong point - not in the Slip, nor the Barr Bros. I know he wants to do the singer-songwriter thing, and God love him for trying, but......
I don't think that either band is really centric around singing, specifically, though. Neither band gets recognized for that aspect, either. But have you heard him sing Drown in My Own Tears? It was at an Independent show in 07. When he's on, he's on; guy's got some pipes.
bear
From the Gecko

I think he sounds great when he sings in the barr brothers. The tough stuff is when he has to jump big intervals on songs like Soft Machine. I have to agree with the drown in my own tears reference as well, I was there and that shit was hot. I think his higher register is coming along as well, usually his weakest link, with stuff like As the crow Flies By. That shit is hard to sing. He also challenges himself when they play covers. You try tackling Robert Plant or Roger Daltry. good luck...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com