quasi-official new music thread

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

Re: quasi-official new music thread

Good to see some conversation again :D

I've been listening to a lot of LCD Soundsystem (loving "London Sessions" in addition to their studio works), Dr. Dog's 7" release of 4 new songs, Nathan Moore's "Dear Puppeteer", "Ragged But Right" by the Jerry Garcia Band, Arcade Fire, Mumford and Sons....

Sounds like I'll have to check out The national.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

whats up everybody! just saying hello and digging up this thread.

albums (and supporting shows) that i've enjoyed this year:

jim james - good album, not the best production, but good live show as expected from jj.
atoms for peace - didnt grab me as much as eraser. dont plan on seeing a show.
flaming lips - very dark and bleak album. not at all what i expected from them. listened to it a few times over the course of a week and not since. however, very much looking forward to f'lips / tame impala show!
daft punk - good nu / throwback disco album. not what i expected from them, but good party album and fantastic production. tour? i wish.
the national - after the slow and steady climb from alligator > boxer > high violet, i would have been (pleasantly) surprised if this band was going to make another amazing album. they made a very good one, but a little uneven; however, more importantly, the new songs were fantastic live.

interested in hearing:
queens of the stone age
boards of canada
pearl jam
arcade fire
mgmt

side note: daft punk and the national released their records on the same week. in this day and age of instant gratification, i avoided all possible internet mp3/youtube leaks and actually got the physical record for the first listen. i haven't done that in years, maybe a decade! it was a rewarding experience.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

After someone posted the Brad & Elisapie collaboration song, I looked more into her stuff. I'm generally not into that vein of music, too much, but I really like her stuff and that album a lot. I believe it's called Traveling Love.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

For fans of Bon Iver, check out the Justin Vernon's new album from his side-project Volcano Choir.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/18/210220081 ... fresh=true

Unbelievable album, I'd say it's considerably better than the last Bon Iver record.

Also, here's some other new records worth giving a listen to

The Darcys - Warring (http://www.thedarcys.ca/)
Yellowbirds - Songs From the Vanished Frontier
Twitter: @lucsamuels
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

lucasdavidsamuels wrote: Yellowbirds - Songs From the Vanished Frontier
I finally got this one on LP. Have been digging it!
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

I recently discovered Destroyer's back catalog. Now can't stop listening. It really helped me put the newest album Kaputt (2011) and the new disco / soft rock vibe that took a lot of critics by surprise in perspective.

Start with Streethawk: A Seduction. You won't be disappointed.
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:For fans of Bon Iver, check out the Justin Vernon's new album from his side-project Volcano Choir.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/18/210220081 ... fresh=true

Unbelievable album, I'd say it's considerably better than the last Bon Iver record.

Also, here's some other new records worth giving a listen to

The Darcys - Warring (http://www.thedarcys.ca/)
Yellowbirds - Songs From the Vanished Frontier
Really funny on the timing of that Volcano Choirs stuff. I hadn't even heard of it before, but I'd been meaning to spin the Bon Iver sophomore effort again because it hits a soft spot and I really enjoy it. I listened to the first VC album and wasn't too floored by it, but this new one has been very enjoyable. Thanks for the NPR link.