Favorite Slip Venues

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Favorite Slip Venues

Part of my love for The Slip, especially during my college years in the Northeast was going to all these little funky towns i wouldn't necessarily have gone to had the Slip not been playing in a bar or music venue. I will always have a love for Northampton, the first time i saw them back in 04'. Some of my favorite places I've seen them regardless of actual sound quality was, Iron Horse, the Stone Church in New Hampshire, Falls River, Mill Street Brews, UMass.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Re: Favorite Slip Venues

Probably the most memorable to me are my first show, at the Axis in '04, and when they played Everybody Wants to Rule the World at the Pearl St. Ballroom in Northampton. Stone Church in Newmarket was always pretty cool, too. The Met was also pretty sweet. And always a treat to catch them at The Paradise for whatever reason, despite it having that obnoxious column in the middle of the audience floor back in those days. I somehow don't remember the draw of all of the BU frat types that the place attracts now.

Wish I could have caught them at Scullers or Matt Murphy's pub, though.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

booher wrote:Probably the most memorable to me are my first show, at the Axis in '04, and when they played Everybody Wants to Rule the World at the Pearl St. Ballroom in Northampton. Stone Church in Newmarket was always pretty cool, too. The Met was also pretty sweet. And always a treat to catch them at The Paradise for whatever reason, despite it having that obnoxious column in the middle of the audience floor back in those days. I somehow don't remember the draw of all of the BU frat types that the place attracts now.

Wish I could have caught them at Scullers or Matt Murphy's pub, though.
Meowskers sings Everybody wants to rule the world right? I've heard mill street brews has turned into a sort of club losing its more underground music scene it had in the past. I saw SMMD at Pearl St and Meowksers sang Modern Love which was pretty awesome. What was the deal with Meowskers? Was he just a random friend of the band?
booher

Some of the folks around here who are more privy to the Slip will know more of the Meowskers story...I certainly don't. I'm not even sure why Mr. Meowskers is named as so. But, yep! That was the show. He was drunk as hell, and it was great. They really did a great job hitting the air-y nature of that song, too. I don't think I've ever had the privilege of seeing SMMD live, but that sounds like one hell of a place to see them.

I honestly haven't seen anything at the Ball Room except for the Slip. I was under the impression it either changed its venue a bit or shut down. I see much more happening at the Iron Horse, but not recently... I haven't kept up with that venue much if at all. I've just kind of monitored other similar acts going there in the past, and I've never been there myself.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

yeah i went to Northampton quite a bit 10 years ago, they were really getting a lot of acts at the Calvin, Iron Horse and Pearl Street. I saw Soulive a number of times there. the slip and SMMD, saw Ryan Adams at the Calvin. Doesnt seem like iron horse or pearl street get those type of acts. I did have the chance to see Jeff Tweedy and his son last fall which was excellent.
booher

That's awesome! Tweedy never seems to make his way to Eastern MA. The last, and only time I saw Wilco was in Lowell, and the show got rained out, but I think we were pretty well into the set.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

booher wrote:That's awesome! Tweedy never seems to make his way to Eastern MA. The last, and only time I saw Wilco was in Lowell, and the show got rained out, but I think we were pretty well into the set.
I heard Wilco plays a festival every summer (?) in Western Mass. I would love to check it out. And yeah i'm Surprised Wilco hasnt played Xfinity center or something