Happy Queen of the Breakers release day

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Happy Queen of the Breakers release day

What's everyones thoughts on the new album?
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Re: Happy Queen of the Breakers release day

really love "Song that I heard" on this album
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Kevin_Kjr wrote:really love "Song that I heard" on this album
That one stood out to me at first, too. There were a couple of tunes that didn't sound quite like the usual ones, which makes me wonder if Brad's the principal songwriter or if others are contributing tunes. Or maybe it might just be a little bit of a new direction. Certainly weren't bad tracks. But this album seems to be a slight departure from Sleeping Operator while still maintaining the Barr Brothers "brand," if you will. Definitely need to give it a few more spins and get to know the album a bit better.

In other news, St. Vincent's new album dropped today and I thought it was really awesome, too.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

booher wrote:
Kevin_Kjr wrote:really love "Song that I heard" on this album
That one stood out to me at first, too. There were a couple of tunes that didn't sound quite like the usual ones, which makes me wonder if Brad's the principal songwriter or if others are contributing tunes. Or maybe it might just be a little bit of a new direction. Certainly weren't bad tracks. But this album seems to be a slight departure from Sleeping Operator while still maintaining the Barr Brothers "brand," if you will. Definitely need to give it a few more spins and get to know the album a bit better.

In other news, St. Vincent's new album dropped today and I thought it was really awesome, too.
i'll have to check it out.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

def interesting, i think i still like their self titled debut album from 2011 the best. I cant say how i really feel about this album yet. I've been listening to it a few times. I wouldnt say i love it, there are a couple of songs that stick out but nothing that i'm loving beyond one or two.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

PROS
Focussed, tight, cohesive. I think it's a little more fun than Sleeping Operator, and also more energetic than 1st release. I think playing Barr Bros stuff to the uninitiated is tough, but there's more songs here that would appeal to people unfamiliar with the band. I think Kompromat stands out, and for me one that goes in a new direction that sounds fresh and fun is Maybe Someday. The very last track sounds like "I hate Love" to me, but slightly more infused with a 60s protest song or something. The lyrics on the album may be some of my favorites of Brad's yet, with some clever word play (woke up next to a cig in a glass of wine, picked up my guitar, strummed out of time, couldn't find a reason, but could find a rhyme) and less rhyming or abstract words. Great use of their various instruments all over, doesn't dip into corny "world music" as some have criticized them of in the past. Good bass work all over. Great drumming always.

CONS
As always, there were enough youtube, podcast etc. hints of these songs over the last year or so that the only really new ones to me are "Look Before...", "Maybe Someday" and "Ready for War" so not much surprises left since they put out 3 singles too. I'm also partial to the Hideous Glorious from a Boston show on youtube over the album version. I'm shocked they didn't put out Defrib as the single considering Lucious is on it. Album could've used a bit more from Sarah and more guitar solos, IMO.

As always, the creative effort from these guys, whether I see them live or hear a new album, is inspiring as hell. I've been strumming away and breaking out my old gear to learn some of it or add some sounds to my own songs. I plan on a lot of repeated listens but these are my first impressions... and I think it's their best album so far!
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

I think it's the most accessible album to date. Definitely has a more 'rock and roll' energy that was lacking on the firs two records.

Overall, a really nice listen and their most focused record to date. I'm really liking it. But... I like all their stuff. This is a biased group :)
Twitter: @lucsamuels
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Digging the new record a lot!

I still prefer the first BB studio LP, but this is a very strong offering and I agree with others that it's their most generally accessible yet. Nice work, folks!

Also very cool to see that they're getting a lot of press coverage - http://www.anydecentmusic.com/review/89 ... akers.aspx - and they're casting a wide net in the U.S. with the album being featured on Sirius XM's JAM ON channel - hopefully they're on some other non-jam channels as well. Onward and upward!

Cheers to all!
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Gotta revise my previous post. Queens of the Breakers is just fantastic and is my favorite Barr Brothers release for sure. All the elements are there. What a record!!