just left mike gordon a message...

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

just left mike gordon a message...

just called the inside in hotline cause i'm bored at work and i actually was able to leave a message. i told gordo he had pretty good taste in the bands he guests with(sts9, the duo, BAM). i also said he should play with the slip again on the east coast and that some nights i think the slip are better than phish. who knows if he check the messages but i figured something was better than nothing :roll:
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

He not only check those but also keeps the tapes for fun. What a cool idea. Hey I'm famous and funny so lets set up a second phone line and give the number away. I would not be surprised if he did something with those someday. I wish I could hear a tape or two full of them. I've never called but thats funny shit non the less. I've seen Mike at Slip shows may times.
headnugg
Invocation

I was wondering what shows Mike has sat in with the band on and if I can grab a copy from someone......

Cleantone: C U at Murph's on the 12th?
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Mike sat in out in CA once. I heard it was weird but I forget why. Mike was on guitar maybe? They played a random cover that didn't work maybe? I forget. No recording ever surfaced. Sammy might have got it to tape but I'm not sure. I don't know if he has played with them beside that day.

Oh yeah, I should be at Murphs for that show but I might be too broke for gas and tolls even... Somebody hire me!!
etahn
From the Gecko

07/09/2003: Studio Z: San Francisco, CA
Set I: Wolof, Children of December, Get Me with Fuji*, Jumpin' Jack Flash%, All Blues, Tenfold, Love and Tears!
Encore: If One of Us Should Fall, What's So Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding@
Notes: * w/ Carlos Washington on sax. % w/Mike Gordon on bass. @ Elvis Costello song. Show ended at almost 5 AM![/b]
The world really is magic
headnugg
Invocation

oh yah, I remember reading about that now, too bad no recording has surfaced
Phrazz

West coast tapers

I see that after the Mississippi, tapers tend to hang onto their shows a lot more tightly (particularly indoor shows it seems). Don't know if that's a trend or if I'm seeing things wrong, but this is different than the old Dead shows and seems to be more of the new stuff "cutting edge" music or whatever.

I can see why with all the grovelling that goes on...and maybe being more Internet-savvy, these folks don't want to see their hard work end up on etree with someone else's credit. I think similar things with photos, but I'll get more lax in my old age. ;-}

I also heard the Stones cover was ho-hum, maybe Gordon wasn't quite warmed up and only knew it was a quick cameo. Last time I jammed with him he played pretty well...even keeping up with my fast time changes and chromatic runs. 8)

-Phrazz
etahn
From the Gecko

Re: West coast tapers

Phrazz wrote: maybe Gordon wasn't quite warmed up
7/09/03 - Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, California

Set 1: You Enjoy Myself* -> Simple > Mist, Chalkdust Torture**, Bathtub
Gin

Set 2: Boogie On Reggae Woman > AC/DC Bag, Piper^, Twist, Scents & Subtle
Sounds, Mike's Song^^ > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove^^^

Encore: Loving Cup

* unfinished; ** followed by several vamp endings (inc. the final bit of
Big Ball Jam); ^ segued into 2 or 3 distinct jams before ending; ^^ w/
heavy fog; ^^^ w/ Mike on foot bell

Maybe not warm. Or maybe just tired of Stones covers.
The world really is magic
sm
Beantown Rocker

i have a show where the boys cover jumpin' jack flash, sans gordon.. and it's in '02, i think... for some reason im thinkin' it comes out of a fuji and goes into an Else cover... anyways, having only heard that one, i'd say jumpin' jack flash isnt a choice cover for them..
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

** followed by several vamp endings (inc. the final bit of Big Ball Jam)
Big Ball jam in 2003? Is that right?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

possibly the greatest show review ever,
Kurt Buddelmeyer aka headyepic wrote:SHORELINE JULY 9TH 2ne set review We had good seats; 103 level; Page side. The boys opened up with a succint Boogie On wherein Trey sprang up five minutes into the tune and went up to every member of the band and said something with great exuberance which made each of them give him a look of, "Fuck yeah, let's crank it up, you red-headed fuck face!" They immediately shut off Boogie On and segued into an upbeat and raging AC/DC Bag replete with maniacal strobe lighting by The Master of the Dark Skies, Mr. Chris Kuroda. The ship hovered nicely into Piper wherein we all awoke last night to the sound of the storm. They jammed out the signature chord progression and into an ambient free form jam featuring teases of 7 below (which was played the next evening 2nd set). But where, oh where did this take us? Just why in the Larry Hell or Sam Hell are we here? Why do I want to dip my nards in grape Fun Dip and lick my balls until they scab over????? TWIST!!! No fucking way, no fucking way!!!! 'Whoooo! Wouldn't twist around'......oh fuck yea, it would twist around like a titty twisting Conway Twitty tangled up in a game of Twister with the Olsen Twins. Oh, God, I want to bang the Olsen twins, long and hard...... After the chorus and the jam began, it was wholly agreed we were seeing unparalleled musicianship. They were up there smiling and whacking it, long and hard..... Then Gordo took over with the sweet thumps of Mike's Song which took it to the otha level. I say this for two reasons: (1) get the show and tell me otherwise and (2) the stage crew whipped out the smoke machines and left them on, thusly blowing mad smoke for at least five minutes. They never fucking whip out the smoke!! Special O-MotherFucking-Ccasions only, you silly bitches!!!! (Although, I do believe there was a brief smoke the next night in the 2nd set which leads me to believe they may be whipping it out more often this tour. But fuck, THE SMOKE, MAN, THE FUCKING SMOKE! I kept telling my buddy Mikey that, THE SMOKE, MAN, THE FUCKING SMOKE….ahhhhh, yes, the good old days.) OK, the boys steered the ship sweetly into Hydrogen. If you were there and didn't cry during I am Hydrogen, you needs to check yo' self before you wreck yo' self 'cause big deez in yo' mouth is bad for yo' health. Serriously. And rightfully so, they stuck the pig with a clean segue into a monumental Weekapaugh. Why monumental? Only those people who were there will know that there were four distinct cow bellish type dings in this tune that did not come from Fishman. Where did they come from, you ask? Michael Jordan Gordon has a foot bell that he only uses when they are firing on all cylinders. I read an interview with him in Bass Player magazine and he talks about how he has foot percussion devices he only whips out when he feels that they are dropping dirty bombs. Nasty, stanky, dirty bombs on that ass. So there you go. Oh yeah, during the Loving Cup encore this crazy mother behind me was breastfeeding her baby but with both tits out. I had my buddy get a picture of me with my tongue out as I turned around so it looked like I was licking her floppy jalopy. Her crazier, acid-head hippy husband saw it and smacked me on the back of my freakin' noggin, open hand. It felt awesome cause I was totally spun off molly. But I ain't no sucka so I snatched his glow wand off his grubby neck, chewed it until the glow juices dribbled down my face, and told him, "Your baby looks like a retard, you smelly smelly pumpkin belly!!" All in all, it was the best set I've seen in quite some time and I've been to every Phish show that has ever occurred.
headnugg
Invocation

that was by far the best review I have ever read in my life.........