Applauding Denver, CO.

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

JEFFfromNC

Applauding Denver, CO.

The folks of Denver, CO. voted yesterday to decide whether to allow people over age 21 to legally possess up to an ounce of marijuana. According to the radio this morning the vote passed. :mrgreen:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/52 ... etail.html

“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

mango
Cumulus

y'all can crash in my house until you find a place for yourselves.

chobbs
Neube

apparently the police will be going by state law though. somewhat of a bummer, but still - IT'S A STEP!

also - this is my first post. hello slip fans!
headnugg
Invocation

OK so I'm not clear on this. Someone said police will be going by state law and I'm sure if you get caught with a zip in Denver and get arrested you can and will be prosecuted. There is no way that W and his cronies are going to allow this. They are still arresting people for possessing medical marijuana in areas where it's "legal" under federal law, which apparently trumps state and local law.
So besides all that, does that mean that if you possess a zip in say, Boulder, and not Denver it's still illegal? You can only possess weed legally in Denver? This whole thing makes no sense. How can a city vote to legalize a drug that is clearly illegal in this country. I mean if that was possible, don't you think some of the very rich left wingers, or hippies, or whatever, that live in this country would simply buy a town of their own and legalize all drugs, prostitution, gambling or whatever the hell else they wanted to?

well, I just read that article linked above and came across this little tidbit:

"The change will not affect prosecutions, according to Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrisey.

"The change in Denver’s city ordinance does not change Colorado state law," said Morrissey. "It is still illegal to possess less than an ounce of marijuana anywhere in the state, and that includes Denver."

I think there is also something similar to this in Alaska as well.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Correct, it is still illegal by state and federal measures (which is what the cops would nail you with). But, what it does do is take a step in the right direction. As for Alaska, if it's the whole state versus a city (like denver), then it's a whole different matter as it would be legal by state law while still being illegal via federal law.. then you'll have some "civil war" shit going on because of the states right to control itself. But, if it is the whole state, I doubt the feds would put the hammer down too hard.. it's alaska.. an not necessarily worth pushing all the man power to start busting people. None the less, yes, you will still get arrested for smoking a doobie outside your favorite venue in Denver, but, it does send a wake up call. This is definately not the first law like this that has been tried to be passed. Las Vegas was trying to make it legal as well. These are all big steps in the right direction toward legalization. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania will probably be the very last state (or at least one of the last) to allow this... course ya never know.. old people do die off or get glaucoma... :wink:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver