Dean LaBrie killed by a VT State Trouper (musician/engineer)

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Dean LaBrie killed by a VT State Trouper (musician/engineer)

I just had a long conversation with a life long pal of mine. He was pretty much best friends with Dean. Some of you might know him in various ways. It is not new news but I wanted to let people know since it wort of went under the radar being very close to chirstmas when it happened. Dean "the cheese" LaBrie might be best known to Phish fans for the "heavy metal screams" on Lawnboy's Squirming Coil. He was good friends with Dan Archer who is another Vermont audio engineer/musician. You might know Dan from Pork Tornado. Dan and Dean engineered Lawnboy. Dean has worked with a bunch of Vermont musicians playing drums as well as mixing live and recorded sound. He was also a real stand up guy and a good friend to my good friend. May you rest in peace Dan!!
Tragic Accident Takes Lamoille Coach
by Alicia Morissette
Lamoille Union High School Principal Sharon Fortune stated, “A tragic accident took the life of Lamoille Union High School’s beloved soccer coach, Dean Labrie, in the early morning hours. A resident of Cambridge, Dean served as the Girls’ Varsity soccer coach at Lamoille Union for seven years, winning two state titles.
“Dean was a warm and caring coach, who had a wonderful sense of humor. He was an excellent musician playing with local bands. We are eternally grateful for his many and varied contributions to Lamoille Union and his community. He will be missed by all who were blessed by his presence.”
According to a press release from the Vermont State Police (VSP), Dean Labrie was near the 1829 antique barn [close to his home] on Tuesday, December 20, around 1:30 a.m. when he “crossed the center line and hit the guardrails on the north side” of Route 15.
Then Labrie’s Volkswagen Passat station wagon reportedly spun sideways in front of VSP Sergeant Joseph Paquette’s Ford Crown Victoria and the two vehicles collided.
Labrie was pronounced dead at the scene, and Paquette was taken to the Northwest Medical Center in St Albans to be treated for lacerations and bruises. Cambridge and Johnson rescue squads and the Cambridge Fire Department responded.
The accident closed Route 15 for five hours and traffic was rerouted. An investigation is ongoing and involves VSP troopers and detectives from the Lamoille and Williston offices.
Anyone who witnessed the accident or has information that could assist the investigation is urged to call Lieutenant Alan Buck at 878-7111.
My friend said that Dean crashed from icey conditions and a trouper nailed his car en route to another accident that was pretty far away from where this happened. The articles stated that they were traveling together but the word is that Dean had already crashed and was waiting for a tow. The trouper came flying well after Dean had crashed and if he had been going slower would have had the time and ability to avoid hitting him. The troupers car was crunched to the backseat from the impact. He must have been going close to 80 and it's been said he wasn't using his wig wags or lights at all. Just hawling ass on a country road. Since this accident there has already been one other death of a 17 year old who was being chased by the VST.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

oi. that sucks.
country roads, ice, and cops who are used to being able to fly when they feel like it... not a good combination. that's just a damn shame.

interesting too, how the official news story fails to get the actual story straight, eh?
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>