quasi-official new music thread

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Phrazz

Cheap bootlegs

I heard Jumby is selling the DVDs for five bucks on eBay.

:twisted:
tim
The Weight of Solomon

anyone been listening to anything good out there? gotta say the new belle and sebastian is fantastic and chan marshall(cat power) also has a real solid disc out(she sure is giving feist a run for her money in my book)...

as of recent, i've just been trying to catch up on everything i missed out on in '05 while waiting for the heavy hitters to drop their new efforts. the most serene republic, gang gang dance, super furry animals and black dice all put out some pretty f'ing awesome stuff last year. oh yeah, i got the mile davis 'a different kind of blue' DVD...trust me, with his complete performance at the isle of wright festival, this is a must own if you're a fan of davis' electric era.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

I just got a leak of the new Flaming Lips. Its pretty good. It's a good follow up to Yoshimi, much in the same vein. I think it may grow on me immensely. and of course, I'll actually buy it once it comes out.

Even though it came out mid last year, Mice Parade's new one "Bem-Vinda Vontade" is incredible. Its quite the evolution from their past albums with a movement from ambient post rock and jazz-y tunes into more and more vocal material (sounds somewhat familiar, no?) with very insightful lyrics and a female voice that may prove abrasive at first but grows more and more beautiful with each listen. Tortoise influence is apparent in the skittering organic drumbeats and the vibes on a few songs.

Also, anyone into Free Jazz, if you havent checked out William Hooker, the avant garde drummer, ever, now would be the time. He played a show at my school last weekfor about 10 rapt and wild eyed students and brought the house down. It was with an all star band including Sabir Manteen (!) on sax. Quite the show to stumble into on a Tuesday night, slightly high and thouroughly unprepared.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

yeah i got a copy of the lips too, but ive been fighting off listening to it. i dont know why, ive listened to some other leaks, but im just waiting for the release i think. but who knows, ill probably stumble home some night and just put it on.

you think its comparable to yoshimi? thats interesting. ive heard mixed things about it, but im thinking that the ones who didnt like it, probably havent listened to it enough.

i heard theyre also releasing this in 5.1.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

some of the tracks are comparable. I would certainly hesitate to place it on the same plane as Yoshimi.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

im diggin the new belle and sebastion. its the really the first time i've heard any of their music closely. at first, i thought it was a bit too poppy for me. but depending on my mood, it can be a great album. alot of retro pop, reminding of beatles-era soundscapes, but theres also enough hints of jazz, at least different instrumentations to keep me from getting sick of that candy coated taste. the production is also very dense but doesnt become too dense with 6 or 7 different sounds.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Katie
Invocation

Full tracks from At War With The Mystics are streaming on the official website now (flaminglips.com, click music). Still on my first listen, but so far I'm digging it. From what I've heard thus far I could make comparisons to Yoshimi, but I think I'd agree with their description that it follows the "tradition of not treading back over old ground." There's still the same level of complexity and layers to it that makes the Soft Bulletin & Yoshimi such a great studio albums (if you're never listened to them in the 5.1, you're truly missing out) but the sound is a bit different. A bit more rock-oriented, almost like it embraces more of the punk-rock influence of their past with the level of songwriting they're achieved on more recent albums. I dunno, I'm not a good critic, there's lots of reviews coming out now... and you can go listen to it for yourself.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LNLJfb6jQVk
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Carl Crawford
Yaki Soba

new lips

at war with the mystics is awesome. i have had a copy of it for like 3 weeks now. at first i really didnt think it was anything all that special, just another decent album. then, i kept listening to it, over and over and over, and one day it hit me like a hammer this cd is amazing. its not yoshimii its not the soft bulletin, its something totally different and amazing. i cant wait till it really comes out, since there are supposedly 3 hidden tracks on the actual release.

vote for me for the all-star game.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

argh...i can't wait to get this!!! i've been holding on strong...no streaming, no bootlegs, no spoilers, nothin' til it comes out this tuesday! i'm taking the day off and will be at the record store right when the doors open. it can suck, but the waiting and anticipation is half the thrill for me. luckily there's plenty to keep me occupied between now and tuesday...akron/family tonight, final four tomorrow, wrestlemania on sunday and monday is opening day(GO O'S!!!)...come on weekend! is it four o'clock yet?!?
Carl Crawford
Yaki Soba

i declared

this week over an hour ago. fantasy baseball spreadsheets look like work spreadsheets... opening day is also sunday. WHAM! and the summer has arrived.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

the most kick ass, shadiest record store in town, the soundgarden (i even think they had the name first, not sure though) had the lips for sale last night, and they were giving away a 7" with it. when i got there the 7" were all gone. so i bought a copy for my gf and im going to get the 5.1 later this fall.

i listened to the whole thing this moring on the way to work. its got a certain edge to it. wayne seems just a bit annoyed with the sate of the world nowadays. the instrumentation is a little more reliant on actual instruments, piano, bass, guitar, drums, but there still that yoshimi splash of bleeps and synth sounds. its cool, i have to listen to it a little more to let it sink in, and thats always a good sign.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

anyone heard the new tool album? thoughts?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i picked up the flaming lips at war with the mystics cd/5.1 dvd combo the other day. as with the other 5.1 releases the band mixed in a couple of new layers of sounds in each song. i listened to the whole album in one sitting and found it much more satisfying as a whole than before. i recommend this to anyone with surround sound at home (along with their other 5.1 releases)
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tyler
From the Gecko

what if you thought At War with the Mystics was pretty much shit? will the re-release change your mind?