quasi-official new music thread

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

quasi-official new music thread

went apeshit at the soundgarden, the baddest motherfucking record store in bmore, to treat my self for my birthday.. happy birthday! oh, thank you, thank you very much!.. yeah anyway, heres what i got.

neil young, prarie wind
broken social scene
my morning jacket, z

i havent listened to bsc yet, but the ny album is good, easy listening, nice country, sort of similar to his harvest albums. a great backing band, including a gentle slide guitarist.

now, the mmj album is fucking killer. the music on this album has progressed above and beyond it still moves. you hear dense keyboards, violins, thick guitars, all lush and floating through a tunnel to your ears. jim james voice also has improved aswell sharing with the spotlight. pick this up today.
Last edited by diesel on Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I heard the mmj album was supposed to be really good...

I recently picked up Neil Youngs Harvest moon on vinyl... I was stoked!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

thanks pat

thats a good score. buying an old hifi record player is on my ever growing list of things that i dont need but i want.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Robyn

Hey you.... have a good one...ya lil....sick puppy.

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

diesel wrote:thanks pat

thats a good score. buying an old hifi record player is on my ever growing list of things that i dont need but i want.
yeah.. but vinyl sounds sooo good...I just love it... plus some bands are still putting out vinyl.. so it's cool...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
k-real
Cumulus

i was tearing it up on air guitar last nite listening to "Z" in my apartment. you should have seen my sick chops and sweet solos. i was on fire. particularly liking "lay low". mmj are heading out on tour in a few days as well. rock on.

ps happy birthday dear diesel happy birthday to you...
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

thank you good people for your wishes.

yo, k - yes! lay low has that rockin double guitar jam, perfect for jumping on the couch air guitar solos. the whole album is just great, i love it.

now, as for BSC, i havent been in the mood to plug myself in to it. i took some quick listens and hadnt prepared myself for canadas best export (legal export at least). at first, getting slapped in the face with 4 guitars, bass, keyboards, horns, drums and beats, on top of subdued monotone vocals with other noisy notes wasnt really my cup of tea. well, that is until i had my proper cub of green tea :wink: at my buddies house. this sure made the difference, i relaxed, sat in a chair, and tapped my foot through half the album.. damn! not bad at all i thought. the whole album was also the soundtrack to my drive to work today through the clouds and rain and i was even more impressed. its a complex artsy album, and thats what you have to be in the mood for. me, sometimes, i am, sometimes im not.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
k-real
Cumulus

diesel - i'm gonna grab the new BSC album for the weekend. I'd appreciate it if you could "export" some of that tea up North. :shock:
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

if any of you ever make it to green medows of baltimore, we're happy to share. except for pat, his kind aren't welcome.

see how whack that shit is?? it turned broken social scene to BSC. :mrgreen:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

diesel wrote:if any of you ever make it to green medows of baltimore, we're happy to share. except for pat, his kind aren't welcome.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

what is this BSC you speak of?

i know Broken Social Scene came out with a killer album this past week but i know not of your BSC.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

heres one for the flaming lips fans out there. looks like the album will be out in early '06 and it might have this song on it. im not sure.

http://www.lobo.cx/
click on the coca cola M5 bar, watch the video if you like, but if you click 'more' on the top left and click music video, you will hear the whole song. capice?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Big Bob
From the Gecko

that flaming lips song/video is damn cool! thanks diesel
sm
Beantown Rocker

havent wandered over to this forum for a while... happy belated, diesel!

new music - yes.. i have also gone apeshit recently.

ryan adams - jacksonville city nights - hank 2005. i love this shit. great album, grows on me more and more everyday. i like to put on the first 3 songs when im smokin' bowls.

neil young - prairie wind - classic neil. simple, soft, catchy, heartwarming, and very autumn-ish. thanks neil for being you.

broken social scene - have only given it a once through, and i really loved what i was hearing for most of the album, but it trailed off for me towards the end... i'll have to give it a couple more listens, maybe with some 'green tea', before i can formulate proper thoughts on it. i will say this, though, it's a damn good thing we have a band like that up here... even though, you could say they're more everyone elses than ours (they tour more elsewhere, the record came out everywhere else before here, etc..), and i think, well, this is what the 3rd album, i think album 4 or 5 will be the real mind bogglers...

jason collett - part of the broken social scene gang, a solid solo album, his 2nd i think - more in that singer/songwriter realm, akin to say josh ritter with a kickass band.. many of the BSS players can be found on the album... solid stuff, definitely worth listening to.

the george w bush singers - songs in the key of 'w' - some decent B+ novelty listening here... basically bush quotes sung back by a choir of singers over top of some good playing in various styles... reggae, bluegrass, rock, pop, even a haunting a-cappella version of "fool me once, shame on you... fool me, dont get fooled again!". some favourite quotes from the disc: "and why do you think every internet address starts with "W"!?", or "you're workin hard to put food on your family". like i said, b+ novelty listening, good to listen to if you got dishes to do and you like to do 'em stoned.

i know i've picked up some other stuff recently, too... i've been on a rampage... i cant remember though... those mentioned above have been getting most of the airplay recently... along with Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker, which i am also new to, but i know its not new at all...
tim
The Weight of Solomon

sm wrote:broken social scene - have only given it a once through, and i really loved what i was hearing for most of the album, but it trailed off for me towards the end... i'll have to give it a couple more listens, maybe with some 'green tea', before i can formulate proper thoughts on it
you definitely gotta do this. i've been geeking over this cd for the last week and it's been on near constant rotation. i felt the same way the first time through. i felt like it started off with a bang and got mediocre as it went on but all the other tracks grew on me really quickly, and, within a day or two, the songs that were my least favorites had been getting the most spins.

after hearing feist on the new BSS, i had to go out and get her album. bought that last night and it's really cool if you're into real mellow, folksy, chick, soul-pop. it serves it's purpose, nothing mind blowing but i enjoy her voice and wasn't expecting the earth to fall apart upon hearing it. BSS really seems to push her though, i'd like to see her team up with someone like tricky.

a guy named 'dungen' and his album 'ta det lugnt' were recommended to me over the weekend. i didn't buy it yet but i did check it out a little in the record store and from what i heard it's pretty freakin' good even though i don't know wtf he's saying.. def gonna have to buy that next payday.