secrete machines

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

secrete machines

i was checking out the slips new management company, madison house, and found out they also support the secret machines. i checked out their site and they had some tunes that i was really diggin.

so whos heard of these dudes? hows their show?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
headnugg
Invocation

I've heard their album which I thought was good but wasn't really my taste particularly. They toured w/Kings of Leon recently and everyone said they were blowing the Kings of the stage. I DL'ed their set from Bonnaroo, and again it was good, kinda Pink Floydish, but didn't really do it for me. They sound good live though, worth checking out. I think that show is still up at BT under "other".
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i have "now here is nowhere" i bought it like a year ago, listened to it once or twice and was like "eh". i just listened to it again a week ago and i was kinda diggin' it but i was working and not fully focused on it...i'll have to listen to it again.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Isn't madison house the one owned by stringcheese incident.. or something.. I'm probably wrong and I should just look it up myself.. google.. here I come...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
ScS
From the Gecko

yep it's the same madison house

http://www.madisonhouseinc.com/artist.slip.htm
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

headnugg wrote:I've heard their album which I thought was good but wasn't really my taste particularly. They toured w/Kings of Leon recently and everyone said they were blowing the Kings of the stage. I DL'ed their set from Bonnaroo, and again it was good, kinda Pink Floydish, but didn't really do it for me. They sound good live though, worth checking out. I think that show is still up at BT under "other".
damn it! i've been listening to kings of leon all week. at first i couldnt stand the dudes vocals, but now i kind of respect it at least for the uniqueness factor. they toured together?! shit! i really am a day late and a dollar short when it comes to bands and tours. :evil:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
francis
From the Gecko

you should check out http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

i really enjoyed that cd of the secret machines
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
headnugg
Invocation

Secret Machines/Kings of Leon toured this summer, I had to work so I unfortunately missed the Boston show. The Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak was the best album put out this year. Check it out.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

nugg, ironically the aha.. was the cd that was in my car player before i put in secret machines, which im really diggin now.

i really dont know what to think of the kings of leon. i've only heard the new cd, and that, well it isnt bad, but it sure isnt the best album of this year. my morning jacket takes the cake on that one. you should check it out if you havent, especially considering your obvious fondness of southern influenced bands.

but about the aha.. cd, its only freakin 35 minutes! thats not an album. i feal as if the vocals are the center of attention, which are bizzare to say to the least, and need a constant rewind and a translator to understand. its charming in a way, b/c its not forced and its original. the backdrop music is actually good, its nothing fancy or experimental, but i wish there was more of it. its got a groove at times, and some psychodelic edges, but not enough of either for my tastes.

the secret machines on the other hand pimp slap all you over your face with a huge wall of sound. the dudes drumming (i dont care about band member names really) reminds of alot of the flaming lips. it sounds like a big ass bass drum. alot of distortion and heavy synth / keys. the first track builds up and has a prog feel. pink floyd and other psychodelia are all over this album. the dude is even wearing a wall tshirt in one of the pics i saw. like the kings of leon the lyrics are the focus, but unlike them, they are clear and catchy. i cant tell if theres overdubbing or two vocalist, but i like it.

diesel report card:
kings.. B-
secret.. B+
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH