From the Gecko

McRorie -- One Man Live

-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Carl Crawford
Yaki Soba

ha

this guy opened for beck last summer. he was simply amazing.
francis
From the Gecko

yea, that's where i heard about him. i just really enjoy the video
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Senses lameness

Cheese

This guy's cheese factor is through the roof.

Props for the ambidextrousness and creativity, but geez.
Phrazz

wearable instruments

yeah I wanna stick a mic up my ...

Ok, it's a funny idea, but a retake on an old theme (one-man band). Cheese sells, tho'. People just like to laugh, even if it's just a novelty. He's workin' it...that's just his "schtick". I don't know about the "no sequencers" statement: he's using triggers rather than actual instruments.

I saw a "one man band" old-skool style at High Sierra and these cats are truly amazing. Then there's Jamie Janover on his drum bike with the keys in the attached outrigger in back...that was friggin' hilarious to watch wind its way through the festifarians in awe and confusion).

MIT Media lab has all sorts of wearable computer projects and they also have a room (also one at the Exploratorium in SF) where you can make music just by moving your body around. These show much promise for interactive entertainment and I can envision a stage rigged with these sensors so the performers don't even have to wear anything, they just trigger by movement. Even still, it's a bizarre concept and since real instruments have been around for thousands of years, these cheezy puffs are really more for the "ha ha that was funny" effect and doubtful we'll see much hit the mainstream. There's something special about the sweat dripping off the fretboard and other real-world things like the smoky haze or the smell emanating from a fully-heated tube amp. We can only simulate so much and we lose touch with reality.

Listen to me, typing to people who are hundreds of miles away.

Who was that guy playing two guitars at once, with both hands...where did I see that craziness? Help me out here....

-Phrazz