New Music

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

New Music

So i went on a lil binge over the past 2 months or so with all the itunes card I got for christmas and i just wanted to share the results:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Freaking awsome rock epic, I love it
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Good, but not as good as Moon in Antarctica or as good as everyone raves about
Beck - Information
Fucking sweet
Jay-Z - Kingdom Come
Pretty good, but not as good as the Black album
KC Accidental- Captured Anthems for an empty bathtub
The cd is alright, sometimes brilliant in spots and the last track rocks alot
Pat Metheny - Still life Talking, Secret Story, Imaginary Day
Duh its Pat Metheny, but I really gotta be in the mood for him
The Dears - Gang of Losers
I like this cd more everytime I listen to it
Apostle of Hustle - Folkloric Feel
Wow, how did I miss this one for a full year?
Apostle of Hustle - National Anthem of Nowhere
Havent listened to it enough, but it has potential. alot of it
Jason Colllett - Idols of Exile
Constantly Playing on my Ipod and my Guitar
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Pretty Sweet Synth madness
The Shins- Wincing the Night Away
Not a big Shins fan but this one is pretty good
Badly Drawn Boy- Born in the UK
Honestly, not so good, sorry
Tom Waits - Orphans:Bawlers, Brawlers, and Bastards
Fucking Awsome, but all my freinds think he sings weird
John Mayer - Continuum
Hate to Admit it, but it is pretty awesome
The Decemberists - Crane Wife
Good, but i like the old album
Stephen Malkmus - Self title
Pretty Good, I am seeing him at langerado
Do Make Say Think - You You're A history in Rust
This is a very good album for them
Most Serene Republic - UNderwater Cinematographer
I like this album Very much
Pedro the Lion - Achilles Heel
This is good, but i have heard that other albums are better

Well theres a bunch more but i am tired of typing. Thoughts, Questions Comments?
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
headnugg
Invocation

Re: New Music

Caleb wrote:So i went on a lil binge over the past 2 months or so with all the itunes card I got for christmas and i just wanted to share the results:

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come
Pretty good, but not as good as the Black album

Pat Metheny - Still life Talking, Secret Story, Imaginary Day
Duh its Pat Metheny, but I really gotta be in the mood for him

John Mayer - Continuum
Hate to Admit it, but it is pretty awesome

Well theres a bunch more but i am tired of typing. Thoughts, Questions Comments?
Jay-Z - God awful. Embarrasing. Never should've been released. He is tarnishing his legacy as the Best Rapper Alive. Awful.

Check out the Metheny/Mehldau album that just came out.....though I didn't particularly care for it....

Heard Continuum when it first came out. I thought it was good, not good enough to own. The best tracks on the album, like Gravity, are all on his John Mayer Trio album TRY! If you think Continuum is good do yourself a favor and pick up TRY!

Decemberists - This album has become so hyped up and is a critical darling, I had to hear it. Didn't particularly like it. The music just doesn't do it for me. But I am looking forward to seeing them in March....

Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

headnugg wrote:Jay-Z - God awful. Embarrasing. Never should've been released. He is tarnishing his legacy as the Best Rapper Alive. Awful.
aww man come on, it's not that bad!

new/newer albums i've been listening to alot recently,

grizzly bear's 'yellow house' and 'person pitch' by panda bear are both phenomenal(IMO).

'tromp-l'oeil' by malajube is a fun listen.

i've also been enjoying the good the bad and the queen.
headnugg
Invocation

tim wrote:
headnugg wrote:Jay-Z - God awful. Embarrasing. Never should've been released. He is tarnishing his legacy as the Best Rapper Alive. Awful.
aww man come on, it's not that bad!

new/newer albums i've been listening to alot recently,

grizzly bear's 'yellow house' and 'person pitch' by panda bear are both phenomenal(IMO).

'tromp-l'oeil' by malajube is a fun listen.

i've also been enjoying the good the bad and the queen.
I will admit that I got an advance copy and laughed it out of the CD player probably a little too quick. I at least owe it a few more runs all the way thru......Show Me What You Got sucked. Lost Ones could've been good, but the way he's flowing with that breathy, high pitched shit is wack. The main problem I have is that it seems like every beat is recycled. Lost Ones is almost the exact same as the beat to My Block by the Geto Boys. Show Me What You Got steals from a few songs....etc, etc.

What songs do you like on the album?
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

so the new andrew bird

its coming on to me, not as quickly as mysterious production of eggs but its got some killer moments.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

headnugg wrote:I will admit that I got an advance copy and laughed it out of the CD player probably a little too quick. I at least owe it a few more runs all the way thru......Show Me What You Got sucked. Lost Ones could've been good, but the way he's flowing with that breathy, high pitched shit is wack. The main problem I have is that it seems like every beat is recycled. Lost Ones is almost the exact same as the beat to My Block by the Geto Boys. Show Me What You Got steals from a few songs....etc, etc.

What songs do you like on the album?
i hated 'show me what you got' at first but then one night it just clicked and now i love it. i do agree with you about his vocals at points. i think he needs to lay off that whispery shit a bit. i also hear 'ya on 'lost ones', the piano line is definitely similar. i think 'the fix' is awesome and i'd love to hear scarface do some tracks for hova but i can see why he wouldn't want to give prime beats to competition.

my favorite tracks are probably 'kingdom come', 'i made it' and 'beach chair'. it's pretty funny that chris martin was responsible for one of the better beats on the album(imo). i don't like the hook in 'oh my God' but i think the rest of the track is hot. all in all, the hooks are probably what i like least about the album. overall i'd give the record a B-. i'm admittedly a jay-z sycophant though, he's one of my favorite artists in any genre of music. imo the worst of his shit is still better than 90% of anything else out there, they all can't be a 'reasonable doubt' or 'blueprint' ya know?
headnugg
Invocation

They can't all be Reasonable Doubt or the Blueprint true.....but to go from the Black Album to this crap? To go from retiring as the Greatest Ever to coming back with this? He's definitely tarnished his image, particularly in the eyes of young hip hop, imo. I've read plenty of articles about that, and a lot of artist have said they thing the album sucks. So have a lot of people and a lot of critics. That don't make it so, but it means something.....

It just seems obvious to me this album was put out for all the wrong reasons and it was really rushed out. It seems like Jay got nervous and all agitated that he wasn't on top of the game anymore. He calls it Kingdom Come, like he wanted to reclaim the throne again. He needed an album quick to do that, so he called in some producers who came up with some quick, recycled beats and rushed the album out while he still had some presence in the hip hop world. IMO he made this album because he felt pressure and that he needed to prove something. He either shouldn't have made another album at all, or he should've done it properly, like he has with every other one of his albums.......except for Roc La Familia, the worst "Jay-Z" album ever.
tyler
From the Gecko

Some interesting new(ish) things

Jeff Tweedy - Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest
Awesome solo DVD from the singer of Wilco fame. He mixes up some Wilco, Loose Fur, and Uncle Tupelo songs, all of which sound pretty different and more folky in a stripped down setting. Excellent show.

The Wood Brothers - Live at Tonic EP
Saw them live earlier this week. Chris Wood of MMW on exclusively upright bass (and he even sang once!) and his brother Oliver singing and playing guitar. Really addictive blues/folk stuff. I can't help but wonder what Oliver Wood was doing all those years while his brother became one of the biggest names in jazz.

Really looking forward to the next few months though...new Do Make Say Think, Arcade Fire, Wilco, probably others I'm not remembering. Plus I'm seeing Do Make live which should be awesome.
putty
From the Gecko

I think Oliver Wood has been in the blues band King Johnson this whole time.
H. Nugg

putty wrote:I think Oliver Wood has been in the blues band King Johnson this whole time.
He has......and unfortunately hasn't been the enjoying the same kind of success his brother had.....

I've seen the Woods twice and I think they are fantastic. The album is great too.
francis
From the Gecko

new modest mouse = good
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
tyler
From the Gecko

putty wrote:I think Oliver Wood has been in the blues band King Johnson this whole time.
Oh. Damn.

Sonic Youth at Lupo's the other night was incredible. I hope I'm that awesome when I'm 50.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Caleb wrote:Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Good, but not as good as Moon in Antarctica or as good as everyone raves about
Beck - Information
Fucking sweet
The Dears - Gang of Losers
I like this cd more everytime I listen to it
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Pretty Sweet Synth madness
The Shins- Wincing the Night Away
Not a big Shins fan but this one is pretty good
Do Make Say Think - You You're A history in Rust
This is a very good album for them
MM - i've been meaning to check out that album. i dug their latest two and new one is getting a lot of hype

beck - i haven't got his last 2. i liked odelay and sea change. i probably should check this out.

dears - i've been meaning to check out this band. can anyone describe their sound?

t.y. - good ol' tom and his laptop. not a bad album at all. sorta wished the band could have gotten together with him and added some other dimensions. cant wait for their new album.

shins - really diggin this album. though i cant fucking understand why a guy from the southwest (trys to) sounds british. :?

dec - this crew strikes me as a bit too artsy for my tastes. i havent really gotten into the artsier softer side of indy. it just doesnt do it for me. maybe in time

dmst - really awesome show when i saw them open for BSS. im looking forward to this album.

the new arcade fire is also getting heavy digital spinning on my ipod.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

beck's the information kicks some serious ass...
lily allen's album is really fucking good, too.
francis
From the Gecko

new arcade fire is out?
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!