My iPod is dead

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

putty
From the Gecko

My iPod is dead

after more than three years of mostly constant use, my ipod is dead. it had been freezing a lot lately. I'd have to reset it, which would always work, until this last time when this frowny faced ipod and an "!" came on the little screen. now my computer won't recognize it at all and it won't turn on.

i guess three years is enough, but this really sucks. i only have a tape player in my car, so i had to go out and buy some tapes. the selection at the record store i went to was pretty bad. i got:

Elvis Presley - "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong"
Some compilation of The Clash
A compilation called Born to Choose that has stuff from R.E.M., Lucinda Williams, Pavement, Soundgarden and other stuff.
a Hank Williams tape
and some appalachian music

anyway, i need to find a better place to get tapes. the good news was that all those tapes were $12 total.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Man, I can send you a big box of tapes if you want, gathering dust in my attic.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i fear the day this happens to me more than death

i didnt start listening to music until '91 when i started working as a busboy and made enough money to buy a cd/tape boombox. i had recently bought a walkman and had three tapes:

alice in chains - dirt
pearl jam - ten
queen - live at wembley

it was cd's after than point
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
kate9487
Mudslide

i feel your pain. mine had the same things pop up on the screen. i brought it to the apple store at cambridgeside galleria. they told me the hard drive on my ipod was dead and i'd have to a. buy a new one or b. buy a new hard drive. i am currently waiting to win the lottery to buy a new one. my condolences for your loss.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

cassette tapes rule, I have a decent amount I listen to every now and again. As for youre i pod I say fuck the thing, ive had a 1st gen and 2nd gen that are both dead. I have one of the 5gb ones now that came free with my brothers mac book. Im eventually looking into getting something from creative, theyre cheaper and my friend just got one and its really nice.
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
putty
From the Gecko

harry, you have a PM.

yeah, i like tapes for the sole reason of it forcing you to take in the entire album. fastforwarding and rewinding is annoying, so you just listen to the whole thing. with an iPod, shuffle is so addicting, that you tend to skip over songs a lot.
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

My last car had just a tape player. I used a tape adapter to listen to my iPod but when I forgot my iPod I just had one back up cassette. Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush."

How'd your iPod break? There are a lot of kits out there that are cheap, easy to use, and fix most iPod related problems. I got a battery kit at one point that worked like a charm.
-BH
etahn
From the Gecko

I think the people at the Apple Store just don't give a shit. If you get the folder icon or the sad ipod they just say "hard drive", regardless of what's actually wrong with it. I have repaired at least 3 'broken' ipods by simply cracking them open and/or temporarily swapping parts. I don't know exactly what's wrong with yours, but I'm hesitant to take Apple's word for it. I mean, I've got one in particular that won't boot - it gives the folder! error. But when I swapped the hard drive into another iPod, it worked just fine.

And yes, I'd be happy to see what I can do with yours. I offer no guarantees, accept no responsibility if it comes out worse than it was, and may end up erasing your hard drive. But I've been pretty successful so far, and if it's already broken, what do you have to lose?

PM me f you're interested.
The world really is magic