The Ballad of Black Telephone

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bear
From the Gecko

The Ballad of Black Telephone

does anyone else notice the melody for the verse is almost identical to "The Ballad of John and Yoko". I can let the "There's a Lie/Unknown Legend" riff similarity go but this is a little much.

That said, I'm loving There's a Lie, Gaunt Debutaunte, Ooh Belle and especially Broke the Promised Land among the new batch o tunes.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Yeah, I noticed that (and mentioned it in my review) the first time I heard it at Club Helsinki.

It sounds like you feel this is a problem. I'm curious as to why.

I agree with you about the new tunes, espcecially Broke The Promised Land. What a monster!!

hoby
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

do you think these new tunes will make it on the new album or be abandoned before then?
putty
From the Gecko

if they want to start releasing albums at the rate in which i've seen them quoted as saying, they'll have to get in the studio right after High Sierra. i imagine a lot of these songs will make the album.
bear
From the Gecko

As a musician/songwriter, i realize how easy it is to rip off melodies and words from your influences, its only natural. however, when its pointed out to me I do my best to alter it. I guess I dont really like Black Telephone anyway, regardless of the fact it sounds like the Beatles. Pretty boring song in my humble opinion.

I do hope they record these new tunes soon though to capatalize on the success they are having. if it takes 4 more years (the gap between angels and eisenhower) i think the world will just pass them by. i dont really care if they get huge or not, I just hope they can be successful enough to play as the Slip for 10 more years.

tyler
From the Gecko

Eh they're sorta similar, but not so much that I'd call it a ripoff (like say the original Paper Birds/Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl connection). similar melodies have been done lots of times.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I've heard Picasso or T.S. Eliot, not sure which (if either) said it but good artists borrow and great artists steal. Didn't Bob Dylan get caught on his most recent album, Modern Times, stealing from an obscure Civil War Poet? And Lennon was sued by Chuck Berry over "Come Together", rightfully so. And Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was a rip-off of "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons. Two great tunes though... and I like Black Telephone. I found myself listening to it a few times in a row on the iPod the other day...
bear
From the Gecko

way to site precendent Harry! Alright rip-off is a strong word. I do in fact like the chorus (My crime is my time.... ) and the cool effects that Androo? triggers at the Indy show.

But..... once it was well known how they ripped off "Anthems...." they changed "Paper Birds" so it doesnt sound like it anymore. I dont think they can change Black telephone much though, seems to be in its final stages, but you never know

etahn
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote:I've heard Picasso or T.S. Eliot, ...
Wayne wrote:It was Kirkegaard, or Dick van Patten...
He blows goats.
(We have proof.)
The world really is magic
Phrazz

Black Telephone = cool in my book

bear wrote:As a musician/songwriter, i realize how easy it is to rip off melodies and words from your influences, its only natural.
I would say it's not only natural, it is de rigeur, par for the course, expected and even encouraged. Also, if you can't rip off your idols, whose coffers would you rather pilfer? :wink:
however, when its pointed out to me I do my best to alter it.
How about when it's not pointed out to you??? :lol:

I guess we all want to do our best to alter songs to make them sound original, but should we not try harder to alter our minds? Haven't all the sounds existed since the creation of the Universe?

I know more than one very creative musician who insist they work hard at not listening to other music so their artistic integrity is not corrupted by outside influences. A noble idea if I ever heard one, but is this truly possible? I guess if we have faith that music emanates from a divine source (or source outside our experience, perhaps). Back to the sounds of the Universe. Do birds create music, or is it just a bunch of sounds? Or is it language? Or something completely different?

The mockingbird chirps and seems to work hard at never repeating the same tune twice. I like mockingbirds but some people hate them (since many rise before dawn). I sometimes wonder if these creatures are trying to talk to us but we're not equipped to understand what they are saying. And other times I hear it and think that bird just wants to get laid. So why do musicians sing and write songs? Is it just a more convenient way to get laid? ;-}
I guess I dont really like Black Telephone anyway,
Now we're getting somewhere.
regardless of the fact it sounds like the Beatles. Pretty boring song in my humble opinion.
Hmmm...can a song that sounds like the Beatles be caught for being boring? Are the Beatles distinctively boring? I would say they are more "approachable", but many of their songs are quite challenging (particularly when taken in context of the times, but definitely not quite as challenging as Hendrix or Jefferson Airplane). To my novice ears, Black Telephone sounds a lot more like Jimmy Buffet, and I like it a whole lot. It's one of my faves from the post-Eisenhower era.

Let me guess, you are a Stones fan. :)
I do hope they record these new tunes soon though to capitalize on the success they are having. if it takes 4 more years (the gap between angels and eisenhower) i think the world will just pass them by. i dont really care if they get huge or not, I just hope they can be successful enough to play as the Slip for 10 more years.
Well, I'm no psychic (as far as I know), but I would have to guess they are already recording these tunes. When I hear the paint dry, that seems to be a good place to get the notes down in stone. I'm mixing my metaphors here, so please bear with my conflicted symbolism. The 4-year gap may very much be a result of a noble quest for perfection (which takes a lot more time, energy and of course resources). I think the wait was worth it. Also there were plenty of live CDs coming out, so our ears weren't idle to the Slipvolution.

As for lack of success and the world passing by an immensely talented band, well, that's happened before. However, the success of Eisenhower appears to be a turning point in their career. From the great press coverage and increased venue sizes, I'd say BAM is on the upswing. Part of me wants them to be totally successful and be able to afford the luxuries they deserve, but another part of me hopes they stay "down home" and we always have that intimacy at shows. However, this seems rather selfish in essence. I hope and feel they are strong enough to maintain their intimacy even if they become "huge" in the general music world.

In any case, The Slip will always be a huge influence on me (musically, philosphically and otherwise). And so were the Beatles.

-I am not Jimmy Page!!!

Black Telephone (lyrics)
bear
From the Gecko

Wow, taken to school by the moderator.

"Phish can urinate in the ears of their listeners while the fans sit there happily lapping it up. Well, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they get on the internet and talk about how it was a bad show."

- trey (bittersweet motel)

Each to his own Phrazz, I'm glad you like Black Telephone. Maybe I'll come around soon, as I did on There's a Lie ( which is one of my faves these days). The SLIP is by far my favorite band to see live these days, but they are by no means infallable.

As far as the Beatles go, you called out the wrong fan. The Beatles are THE BAND (not to be confused with the Band). the Stones don't compare to the pure genius of the Beatles songwriting (But yes, I do like the stones, a lot). George Harrison is possibly my favorite artist ever. I have listened religiously to the Beatles since I was a wee pup and sincerely think that "Art/Pop/Rock" would not be the same without them. They broke all the rules, changed the game. I took an entire class about the Beatles during college and know entirely too much about that band so I'll stop myself before I get out of hand.

Anywho, my point is.... The Beatles have such a gift for melody that any one of their tunes could be played instrumentally and be recognized by any "run of the mill" music fan. So when I hear a song that I automatically relate to (I is the key word, this is my opinion - thats all) a Beatles melody, it erks me.

As far as my songwriting goes. Yes I have been told that my songs sound like someone elses and I changed them only if I have heard the song before. For example, in highschool I wrote a song and a couple years later a Matchbox 20 ( yeah yeah I know M20 sucks but atleast you know I;m not lying) song came out with the same chord progression and bass voice leading as my song. But I kept my version because I wrote it without ever hearing that other song. And I often tell people when their song reminds me of another, but its up to the writer to change it or not. It's just my form of constructive criticism.

Alright, way too long of a response. There sure are some passionate people on this board. I love it. Hope to see you at High Sierra Phrazz!

ScS
From the Gecko

-I am not Jimmy Page!!!
haha. he probably did more for spirit than spirit ever did for spirit.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb