the slips

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

the slips

kinda interesting.
SIX years, hundred hour weeks, living and sleeping in the biggest studios in London, David Treahearn and Rob Haggett worked with everyone from Madonna and Gwen Stefani to Björk, Massive Attack and FischerSpooner, before breaking out to form The Slips in the summer of 2007.
http://this.bigstereo.net/2008/02/05/the-slips

http://www.myspace.com/theslipsmusic
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Oh man. That is fucked up. Makes me wonder if they wanted The Slip, found The Slip and decided to go with The Slips. Reminds me a little bit of that band Mazarin from PA. They were doing great, loads of albums sales, awesome music, tons of fans, TV spots. Then some band pops up from the south west I think. They were a wedding band in the 70's called Mazarin and had lawers to tell the current, popular, and not defunct band to change their name. They broke up, or at least last I knew they were still broken up.
Carl Crawford
Yaki Soba

anyone remember the jam band Slipknot? they were around forever and yet changed their name. i dont know if they got paid or if they were just pressured by the shitty metal band.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

There was also some all female band that popped up in Florida a few years back calling themselves The Slip if I recall correctly.
Katie
Invocation

I remember the Slipknot issue, even though the jamband may have been around first, I don't think they had ever filed for the trademark. It was probably just the opposite with the band from the 70s, they probably still held a trademark.

Luckily BAM registered the trademark with the US gov years ago, for the name 'The Slip' used in a musical context. (You can look it up here: http://www.uspto.gov/) It offers some protection against names that sound too similar, particularly if it's within the same industry. Even though it's not exactly the same, it can be argued that it's close enough to dilute the trademark. Of course you can loose a trademark if you don't keep it alive and protect it, so hopefully they'll nip this one quickly. :evil:
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Carl Crawford wrote:anyone remember the jam band Slipknot? they were around forever and yet changed their name. i dont know if they got paid or if they were just pressured by the shitty metal band.
Slipknot Jam-Band Prevails Over Foul-Mouthed Maggots
Wednesday May 08, 2002 @ 04:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Last week we told you about the confusion and controversy surrounding the name behind the Iowan horror-rock band Slipknot. We mentioned that a British knitting club website had been bombarded with abusive messages from Slipknot's legions of "Maggots" (goon-speak for "fans") and that a New England-based jam band, also named Slipknot, had also felt the wrath of the Maggots.

The New England Slipknot (who, by the way, are the original owners of the Slipknot moniker — they've in fact been playing for over 20 years), wrote ChartAttack to correct a wee error in our story. We reported on a nasty post from the Original Slipknot's website in which an angered jam-band fan had wished that the nu metal Slipknot would be "drowned in boiling menstraution [sic] blood." Anxious not to have his fans painted as a bunch of uncouth louts, the Original Slipknot's guitarist, Perry Seigle, wanted us to point out that it was actually a Maggot that made the post, wishing that "we [the New England band] should be boiled in that fine liquid." There you go.

Incidentally, this isn't the first mix-up that the Original Slipknot (who by the way, are very good-natured about this whole Maggot mess) have had with the schlock-rock band. Seigle says that despite a friendly note on the home page of their website and the numerous pictures of older dudes in tie-dye shirts, many a Maggot has mistaken the site for that of the Iowan Slipknot, posting things like "Love The Masks!" in the guest book (clever lot, ain't they?). Every once in a while they'll even show up at the Original Slipknot's gigs, although Seigle says it isn't as much of a problem as one may think.

"We will advertise 'New England's Original Jam Rock Band, Slipknot' and they'll show up thinking it's the boys from Iowa," he says. "Sure! They just played for half a million people at Suck U Stadium and secretly they are from Massachusetts and call themselves a jam band and play at a blues club.

"Most of them are too young to get into the clubs, so we don't see too many Maggots there. However, when we do our theatre shows or festivals, they do come out. They get very confused at first… it's fun to watch. Like a fish out of water. Like they are actually in pain. At the clubs, if they are old enough to get in, someone usually can tell why they are there and we try to tell them before the show. We've refunded money if they want to leave — that's cool. But the coolest is they came to see the Iowa Slipknot (in a blues club?) and they end up staying all night and dancing… they must have drank the kool-aid."

See, that positive hippie stuff does work. Being the enlightened fellow that he is, Seigle has done his best to try to reason with the young Maggots and, surprisingly enough, most of them aren't as detestable as we'd like to believe.

"I have also found that most 'Maggots' act like maggots only when they can be anonymous or in a group," Seigle says. "I sometimes respond directly to a Maggot obviously lost and upset and foaming through the eyes that they ended up on our 'Godamned old fart hippy pussy site.' And I explain the name confusion. Who we are. Why we don't care about the Iowa band. And we don't bad mouth them. And we wish them well, we just wish the Maggots wouldn't give us a hard time or think we stole anyone's name. And nine out of 10 times, the Maggot transforms [at least in their email responses to me, I can't vouch for their actual personal habits] into a nice, normal kid. One out of ten responds back with a barrage so foul it would make Dr. Ruth cross her legs."

Oh well, you can't win ’em all. Seigle maintains that he's more amused by the confusion than anything and happily points out that while the Iowa Slipknot probably doesn’t have "a long shelf life, anyway," his jam-band have been around much longer than most of the Maggots have been alive.

Chalk one up for peace, love and understanding.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I sent them a message on myspace just saying there is a band called The Slip that has been around since 1992 or so. They just got back.
Thanks for that.

They're called The Slip

We're called The Slips
I think I am gonna name my band Pink Floyds.
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

sounds fair enough, clinton
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

I call dibs on 'The Rolling Stone'
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
Phrazz

me, too!

KLUE wrote:I call dibs on 'The Rolling Stone'
From now on, I will be called The Beatle.

Gotta love their explanation (more maggots!).

-Phrazz

P.S.: If The Slip don't get back on the road, then there's no reason to sue.
However, if they did, this is a cut-and-dried case, IMO (I'll check with my attorneys).
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Good to see Phrazz in the flesh, or in the bits as it were!

And I just have to say... they BETTER come back!!!!
Carl Crawford
Yaki Soba

ive been in 2 bands, Mettalica II and Korn 2. both had limited success. we sold a bunch of records, but since i cant play any instruments, our fan base dwindled. i am thinking of putting out an album like pooty tang.