new barr bros

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

new barr bros

just logged into thebarrbrothers.com - new album out fall 2014, called "sleeping operator" - excited!
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
tom
Ambrosia Drunk

Re: new barr bros

Super excited as well. Cannot wait for my father's day present to myself on Sunday when I get to see the Barr brothers in brooklyn!!!!
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

see you there
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

will also see you there.

great news re: the album !
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Man I have to wait 5 months until they come to the Sinclair in Cambridge, eh? Welp, let the countdown begin.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Guess England will be one of the songs off the new album?
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Here's the tracklist...I hope "Kisses from Chelsea" got renamed and made the cut. Looks like a lot of new tunes which is awesome.

Sleeping Operator:

1. Static Orphans
2. Love Ain't Enough
3. Wolves
4. Even the Darkness Has Arms
5. Come in the Water
6. Little Lover
7. How the Heroine Dies
8. Valhallas
9. Half Crazy
10. Bring Me Your Love
11. England
12. The Bear at the Window
13. Please Let Me Let it Go
Twitter: @lucsamuels
Big Bob
From the Gecko

Whatever happened to the song If You Leave Me? That's a great song! I was sure it would be on this record.
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:Here's the tracklist...I hope "Kisses from Chelsea" got renamed and made the cut.
Totally! I'm nervous...
Hear Here
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

tidbits around the web:

"The album was self-produced by the Barr Brothers, with recording and mixing handled by Ryan Freeland (the Rolling Stones, Billy Bragg). Sessions took place in Montreal and Los Angeles, with contributors including Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire, the Luyas, Little Scream, Patrick Watson's band and more. The diverse arrangements include instruments like horns, marimba, hammered dulcimer, pedal steel, a fan-made instrument called a cardboardium, and an African instrument called a ngoni.

The 13 tracks were selected from more than 40 songs that the band recorded during the album-making process."
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

what did people think of the show last night? I only managed to catch half. I liked the old arrangement on "Even the darkness has arms" but still thoroughly enjoyed this new set up. Didnt realize Brad had got married and had a kid so congrats to him.
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

It was great to see them again.

I'd agree with the Darkness arrangement. They seemed to be having some sound issues, i could have used a bit more vox and guitar. The first song they played (new) was the best IMO and England was great too. It seemed pretty clear they were playing some things live they weren't quite used to yet. I could always go for more of them all singing around one mic, which they started with but never went back to (I missed to encore). Also of note, they added someone who played stand up bass (often bowed) to the live band! I can't remember his name though.

The 945 start on a sunday is pretty wheak though, but i just might be getting old. Opener was awful.

All in all, I liked some arrangements better than others, the new songs were being worked out a bit, but it was great to see.
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Caleb wrote:It was great to see them again.

I'd agree with the Darkness arrangement. They seemed to be having some sound issues, i could have used a bit more vox and guitar. The first song they played (new) was the best IMO and England was great too. It seemed pretty clear they were playing some things live they weren't quite used to yet. I could always go for more of them all singing around one mic, which they started with but never went back to (I missed to encore). Also of note, they added someone who played stand up bass (often bowed) to the live band! I can't remember his name though.

The 945 start on a sunday is pretty wheak though, but i just might be getting old. Opener was awful.

All in all, I liked some arrangements better than others, the new songs were being worked out a bit, but it was great to see.
Yes my thoughts exactly.

I thought the show was starting at 7! Guess i should check that out next time. I have no idea what that opening act was trying to accomplish but if it was something similar to a beach boys type look well...yeah...

Saw Meowskers was at show, does anyone have a set list? I think i cut out around 10:45 so missed what other songs were played after that.
gbrignoli
Cumulus

this is an attempt at a playlist, revise if you see holes.
newest tune of the night: brad walking a stroller through the crowd as he made his way backstage.....

little lover
new tune
even the darkness
half crazy
ooh belle
beggar in the morning
love aint enough
new tune
england
------
keep from crying
cloud
_g
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

I'm really hoping Kisses from Chelsea makes the new album and is just titled something different but we'll see