Bahamas

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Bahamas

I think Last.fm thinks there's a new, recent release. Can't seem to find it anywhere, although Wikipedia says that their new release is "Bahamas is Alfie (2014)".

I think Brad and crew know this band pretty well, as they're touring some this summer/fall, and I remember an interview from like summer '12 where Brad said he was looking forward to the new Bahamas album (must have been Barchords).

I need some new tunes to spin, and wanted to hear if anyone heard more about these rumors at all.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Re: Bahamas

New Bahamas tune is great: http://hypem.com/track/24qjh/Bahamas+Mu ... l+The+Time

And the new album is coming out soon, here's the press release I got via email:

Thursday, May 29, 2014 // Toronto, ON – In follow-up to the highly acclaimed and multi-JUNO nominated release Barchords, Toronto-based artist Afie Jurvanen (pronounced eh-fee yer-van-an), best known as BAHAMAS will release his most personal album to date, BAHAMAS IS AFIE on August 19, 2014 via Universal Music Canada and Brushfire Records (USA).

Taking ownership over the name Bahamas, with twelve new original songs all self-produced by Jurvanen, Bahamas is Afie is a true coming of age record. While Bahamas is Afie echoes his previous full-lengths Pink Strat (2009) and Barchords (2011), which accentuate the natural evolution of Jurvanen’s impressive songcraft, guitar mastery, and knack for a melodic pop hook, Bahamas is Afie ultimately remains a sparse, moving, headphone album, complemented by a more developed arrangement of strings, brass, winds, orchestral percussion, and chamber choruses that transport the listener from moving seas to a search for strength, to a place of resolve and comfort. Kind of makes you want to listen in, doesn’t it?

"This feels like a self-titled record to me,” says Jurvanen who performs the majority of instruments throughout the album. “The songs seem to have a definitive quality to them, and they ended up going to all kinds of unexpected musical places. I really thought I was going to make a traditional folk record but as the recording evolved I started having some pretty different ideas. I started playing this game like, 'what would 80s Van Morrison do if he were producing this?’ or ‘what about John Williams?' It all came together in a simple, naive and direct way and I was really energized by the process. And I got to play a lot of guitar...I feel like I'll get another chance to make a folkie record somewhere down the road. For now, this is me."

BAHAMAS IS AFIE Track Listing:
1. Waves
2. I Can’t Take You With Me
3. Bitter Memories
4. All The Time
5. Stronger Than That
6. Half Mine
7. All Time Favourite
8. Like a Wind
9. Nothing To Me Now
10. Little Record Girl
11. I Had it All
12. All I’ve Ever Known

BAHAMAS IS TOURING:

July 12 Big Red Music Festival Charlottetown, PEI
June 10 Celebrate Brooklyn at Prospect Park Brooklyn, NY
July 27 Interstellar Rodeo Edmonton, AB
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Re: Bahamas

Nice. I saw there was a new release on last.fm, but it looks like it was the single that you mentioned. Intrigued to hear this. That track sounded very well done. Hopefully he gets to tour more around the US, as I don't think he'll be with the BBros by the time they make their way to Cambridge, MA in November.

Also, not being a canuck, I think I need some help with the pronunciation of his first name :lol: Canadian's "eh" is my "ay". Yeah? I repeat: :lol: