Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

listen to sleeping operator

John from CT / wheaton college, MA
mwred
Lion on a Rock

Re: listen to sleeping operator

Yes! Liking what I've heard so far. Looking forward to The Sinclair on 11/22!
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

Thanks John!

By any chance did we used to communicate on the Uconn DC++ network?
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

wow... yes possibly. I had DC++ but I was at Wheaton College in MA. Maybe I had connected to the UCONN one somehow? we may have traded some stuff back in the day! there were so many clients back then, so many sketchy .exes!
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

They really put a great effort into this record. This is as strong of a sophomore effort you could ask for. Really psyched to pick up the album and see everyone in the band.
booher

mwred
Lion on a Rock

Quiet here! Not a peep since the record dropped. I'm enjoying it, though I'll admit to missing the grimier bits of the first record and hoping the live show does include some guitar solos...
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

What happened to Kisses from Chelsea? I know it doesn't really fit the album but...
booher

Kevin_Kjr wrote:What happened to Kisses from Chelsea? I know it doesn't really fit the album but...
free shrugs dot com. But they did say in interviews they had about 40 songs "in the can" by the time they were done the recording phase. I'm sure it's out there. The Tune in 9 was a favorite of mine, as was Alta Falls. It'd even be cool to see them throw an AC/DC cover (Ride On comes to mind), but I know with a band like AC/DC it might be tough to get the rights to do so. For whatever reason, if the band continues to see success, I don't know if I see some of those other tunes coming out unless they get "big" enough to do a b-sides compilation.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Wonder if they will make some cross over with some of the songs they did with the Slip and use it for Barr Brothers like a Dear Melina or something... or if they just want to keep the groups totally seperate
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

They mention the actual tune "Sleeping Operator" in an interview or two, I wonder if it will be a b-side, similar to how Lonely Boy was an Eisenhower B-side. The lone live version of that tune that's floating around has some virtuoso drumming, I don't know how well that stuff translates to recordings, but it's all just speculating at this point.

The album sounds great though - really awesome to hear all of their interesting acoustic sounds captured so well.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

The new album is awesome. I found it a tad bit sleepy upon first spin, but it grows with every listen.

From 2003 onwards, you could tell The Slip was exploring their folk-y tendencies. I think a lot of this album is a clearer realization of that. Influences are super apparent.

"How the Heroine Dies" and "Please Let Me Let It Go" could be lost tunes by The Low Anthem. "Come in the Water" has George Harrison written all over it, and "The Bear at the Window" feels like it could have come off The White Album.

Sleeping Operator definitely feels like an ode to Brad and Andrew's influences, and is definitely a more focused album than the debut record, which really was just a collection of songs met with happenstance and a recording studio.

It's really nice to see that the Barr Bros. are focused just enough that their music can resonate with more people.

In regards to songs that were played on tour, but didn't make the album...I doubt we'll see a B-Sides (think of how many Slip tunes never got recorded), but I'm sure they'll rear their heads on up-coming tours.

One of my favourites (that I still don't know the name of) is popping up every once in a while: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tElQYnU3a4 - it's got a really strong Tom Waits vibe to it, especially the melody during the "from your one eyed jacks to your rolled up trips" part which bares a striking resemblance to parts of "Hold On".

In the end, I'm just stoked that more and more people are enjoying their music. I used to play The Slip for musically-inclined friends, and while they thought it was good, it didn't resonate with them like it did with me. I've shared the Barr Bros with countless friends (casual music fans and avid listeners alike) and everyone enjoys them!
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher

Kevin_Kjr wrote:Wonder if they will make some cross over with some of the songs they did with the Slip and use it for Barr Brothers like a Dear Melina or something... or if they just want to keep the groups totally seperate
I'd love to hear some of the unrecorded Slip stuff make it....somewhere. Predicting the Rain needs to be on an album somewhere, proper.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

I guess my hope for some b-sides was based on them saying they recorded 40 songs. But you're right, so much Slip stuff that I consider essential to the Slip was never on an album, and who knows if there's some studio stuff lying around somewhere. That'd be a trip huh, "Does" b-sides? I always thought Hey Worrier and You Might Say might have been a coin toss to make the album.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

johnhk4 wrote:I guess my hope for some b-sides was based on them saying they recorded 40 songs. But you're right, so much Slip stuff that I consider essential to the Slip was never on an album, and who knows if there's some studio stuff lying around somewhere. That'd be a trip huh, "Does" b-sides? I always thought Hey Worrier and You Might Say might have been a coin toss to make the album.
they had a ton of great stuff that never made it to an album. Dear Milena, tonight we leave Chicago, reddish moon, ect ect

wasn't England originally a Slip song?