concepts behind alivelectric and aliveacoustic

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

concepts behind alivelectric and aliveacoustic

Were these just two shows they decided to record or are these songs from a mixture of different shows?
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

Re: concepts behind alivelectric and aliveacoustic

I think Alive Acoustic is pieces of 5/11/2003 (and there is a collection of "outtakes" that circulated from that show including nellie jean aka if it wasn't on Aliveacoustic is was on the outtakes album). The AliveElectric one I know for sure is more than one show. I think at least the song -> if one of us should fall comes from 7-23-2003.

05/11/2003: Club Helsinki: Great Barrington, MA
Set I: Before You Were Born, Poor Boy*, Torque^, 74#, Let the Morning In$, Nellie Jean, If One of Us Should Fall@, Hunny!
Set II: Untitled instrumental& > Song%, Soft Machine+, "keep off the grass" > ^^, Sorry#> Kicked it in the Sun= (ending)> Sorry~, Through the Iron Gate
Encore: Lion on a Rock**
Notes: * Andrew on backing vocals. ^ Andrew on steelpan. # Brad on banjo, Marc on guitar, and Andrew on bass & drums. $ this was introduced by Andrew saying, "let there be no secret about this next song"... BJ's wholesale store really dug the Slip and asked them to write a jingle for the store, so they did, and BJ's didn't want it. i think my favorite lyric was "I'll be your BJ's wholesale lover". ;) Also, Brad ripped it up with the kazoo solo.

07/23/2003: Hot Tin Roof: Martha's Vineyard, MA
Set I: Song of Mysterious Origin*> If One of Us Should Fall, Poor Boy, (new vocal)!, Get Me with Fuji, Soft Machine, Witch in the Kitchen^, ? slow sitar tune ?, Mudslide, Happy Snails#
Encore: Children of December> Soft Warm Simple Wonder
Notes: * very sick version!!! heavier than past versions. ! Debut. ^ Excellent version--Brad played some rippin Kazoo! # with the PVC pipes (Tim Lanterman). [ cleantone - cleantone@hotmail.com - Thursday, July 24, 2003 ]
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

johnhk4 wrote:I think Alive Acoustic is pieces of 5/11/2003 (and there is a collection of "outtakes" that circulated from that show including nellie jean aka if it wasn't on Aliveacoustic is was on the outtakes album). The AliveElectric one I know for sure is more than one show. I think at least the song -> if one of us should fall comes from 7-23-2003.
Agreed that Alive Acoustic all comes from the Mother's Day 5/11/03 Club Helsinki show. And the album outtakes from Cleantone's multi-track recordings that night are awesome.

All of the Alive Electric tracks were culled from various U.S. tours in 2002 and 2003. I used to have the original jewel cases and liner notes but cannot locate them right now. Would be very interested to relearn the location of each track. The only one I remember with certainty is the version of TEWDACYATM that opened the 11/21/2002 Pear Street show in Northampton, MA. That is a really great version of that tune, but unfortunately the album version left out a gorgeous ~4 min intro that can only be heard on CD-Rs of the complete show. I suppose 4 mins was too long for the album but that particular intro remains one of my all-time favorite Slip ambient soundscape song intros, for which they were famous during their peak.

If you listen to the 11/21/2003 Pearl Street show, Brad mentions using a track from an earlier Pearl Street show on the live electric album. He doesn't specifically mention the song name or that it was exactly 365 days earlier. Fun facts.
Hear Here
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

i wish they had done more of these albums, to hear songs they played so rarely.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Kevin_Kjr wrote:i wish they had done more of these albums, to hear songs they played so rarely.
Definitely would be awesome to hear. However, whenever I point someone in the direction of the band I tell them to start there, as they're a bit more accessible than the earlier jazzy type tunes. I think these albums really speak to the depth of the band before getting into some of the other stuff. But that's just me.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

Do we know where the Headshot into Meowskers came from?
my guess below... given that i've always assumed SWSW was next as you can hear the chords for it at the end.

10/26/2002: SLO Brewing Company: San Luis Obispo, CA
Set I: Planet of Inexperience*, Nellie Jean> Aptos, The Nashua Rose, Rhythm-a-Ning
Set II: Drum 'n' Bass Mouthharp Jam> Get Me with Fuji> Jumpin' Jack Flash> Else!, intro jam (~7 min)> Mr. Meowskers> Soft Warm Simple Wonder
Encore: Dogs > Without Me > On Bikes#
Notes: Ted Kartzman: Monday, October 28, 2002 - * New Marc instrumental; similar vein to Clementine/Driving Backwards ! Sweet Built to Spill cover tune. # Brad says " you better watch yoself" a few times. [Full Eminem jam as requested by D???]
John from CT / wheaton college, MA