Your favorite Slip "covers"

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Your favorite Slip "covers"

I have a few that i have actually have recordings of.

With or Without You (U2)- The Slip --2004-10-16 Cafe Petite Campus, Montreal, Quebec
WIth or Without You (U2)- The Slip ---2004-8-7 The Ice Cream Truck, Pomfret, CT
Sweet Thing (Van Morrison)- The Slip - 2003-11-29 Narrows Center for the Arts- Fall River, MA

I had a version of Meowskers singing "Everybody wants to rule the world" but cant find it.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

Re: Your favorite Slip "covers"

that everybody wants to rule the world is from a halloween show in Northhampton - it was awesome! I was just posting over in Trading about if anyone had the Duo's opening set. I'm gonna go poke around and see if I have the slip set.
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

johnhk4 wrote:that everybody wants to rule the world is from a halloween show in Northhampton - it was awesome! I was just posting over in Trading about if anyone had the Duo's opening set. I'm gonna go poke around and see if I have the slip set.
yeah let me know, would love to hear it again. One of the earliest shows of the Slip i went to was in Northampton at iron horse, it may of been SMMD but they played "Modern Love" by Bowie. I think Meowskers sang vocals on that as well but cant remember. Must of been fall of 2004 or winter 2005
fbeaud
Poor Boy

That Neil Young instrumental "Out On The Weekend" from may 2004 in Montreal was really good!

Always liked their cover of "Baba O'Reilly" too... Berkfest 2003 afternoon set is the one I'm thinking about...

Also "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell"...
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

there's a 2001 or 2002 show that has an instrumental "The Times they are a changin'" that is really beautiful
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Man I could probably do a playlist of just them doing covers...

Else > Blue Moon > Else (Built to Spill)
Out On the Weekend (Neil Young)
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears)
poor boy > It's a Long Way to the Top if You Want to Rock n' Roll (AC/DC; they did this as The Slip and SMMD)
Tomorrow Never Knows (Beatles)
Moonlight Mile ('Stones)
Baba O'Reilly (The Who)
Drown in My Own Tears (Ray Charles/Buckley)
Anything You Want (Spoon)
Owner of a Lonely Heart > Steppin' Out (Yes, Joe Jackson)
Nothing Compares 2 U (prince & the family)
Heartbreaker (Zepp)
pass it on (Bob Marley/Wailers)
Hold On (Tom Waits)
Abide With Me (Thelonious Monk)
Third Stone from the Sun (Hendrix)
Hallelujah (instrumental; Leonard Cohen)
Dogs on Bikes > It's Only Rock and Roll > Dogs on Bikes ('Stones)
Happiness is a Warm Gun (Beatles)

Also a couple of Michael Jackson tunes thrown into my library from what I'm seeing, in pretty young thing and looks like wolof > man in the mirror :lol:

Someone mentioned Modern Love... going through my stuff on my ipod now and I have that from 11.11.2005 at the Somerville Theater, but there may be others. Also not to mention the countless teases of other songs during jams/solo sections of other songs. It was always a treat to wait and see what they might throw in.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

booher wrote:Man I could probably do a playlist of just them doing covers...

Else > Blue Moon > Else (Built to Spill)
Out On the Weekend (Neil Young)
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears)
poor boy > It's a Long Way to the Top if You Want to Rock n' Roll (AC/DC; they did this as The Slip and SMMD)
Tomorrow Never Knows (Beatles)
Moonlight Mile ('Stones)
Baba O'Reilly (The Who)
Drown in My Own Tears (Ray Charles/Buckley)
Anything You Want (Spoon)
Owner of a Lonely Heart > Steppin' Out (Yes, Joe Jackson)
Nothing Compares 2 U (prince & the family)
Heartbreaker (Zepp)
pass it on (Bob Marley/Wailers)
Hold On (Tom Waits)
Abide With Me (Thelonious Monk)
Third Stone from the Sun (Hendrix)
Hallelujah (instrumental; Leonard Cohen)
Dogs on Bikes > It's Only Rock and Roll > Dogs on Bikes ('Stones)
Happiness is a Warm Gun (Beatles)

Also a couple of Michael Jackson tunes thrown into my library from what I'm seeing, in pretty young thing and looks like wolof > man in the mirror :lol:

Someone mentioned Modern Love... going through my stuff on my ipod now and I have that from 11.11.2005 at the Somerville Theater, but there may be others. Also not to mention the countless teases of other songs during jams/solo sections of other songs. It was always a treat to wait and see what they might throw in.
i mean if someone put together a playlist of just their covers, i wouldnt hate that.......haha
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

MJ's Human Nature

and don't forget the Roller Derby show of mostly covers including Owner of a Lonely Heart... although... they did seem to be just having a lot of fun at that one and maybe it's not the best representation of their musical abilities.
booher

johnhk4 wrote:MJ's Human Nature

and don't forget the Roller Derby show of mostly covers including Owner of a Lonely Heart... although... they did seem to be just having a lot of fun at that one and maybe it's not the best representation of their musical abilities.
I think that's the show where they played that one into Steppin' Out I listed above...awesome show :lol:

I have that and the Pearl Street show with EWTRTW if we can get a spot for me to drop some mp3s in. Harry or someone else might have FLAC files he can host via torrent. I haven't torrented in such a long time, though, that I can't say if the torrent would have any seeds without him.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Also adding a grateful dead cover- Brown Eyed Woman sung by Brad 02-28-1997 at Brown University in RI
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

booher wrote:

I think that's the show where they played that one into Steppin' Out I listed above...awesome show :lol:

I have that and the Pearl Street show with EWTRTW if we can get a spot for me to drop some mp3s in. Harry or someone else might have FLAC files he can host via torrent. I haven't torrented in such a long time, though, that I can't say if the torrent would have any seeds without him.
That Steppin Out is pretty awesome
booher

Kevin_Kjr wrote:
booher wrote:

That Steppin Out is pretty awesome
Feel free to post the dropbox links in this thread if anyone else is interested!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

holy smokes! that dropbox!! christmas came early! It's like the slip server FTP days