Lake Trout New Album - Stream Here!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Lake Trout New Album - Stream Here!

I'm very excited about this album and i just stumbled across this at their site. post your thoughts:

Not Them You

http://www.laketrout.com
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

awww, nobody else likes LT?!?!?

it's cool, ya'll will jump the trout's bandwagon soon enough :twisted:
joe c

i hadn't heard lake trout in a few years, i think it was the summer of 2001 that i last saw them. very different vibe these days, but i still dig it.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i think lake trout has evolved more than any other band in the "scene". they're local boys so i've been seeing them since the begining, back around '96 or so. they started off as groove/jazz band and their self titled debut album has some real sick jazz guitar playing. check out the song "too sweet" if you're ever able. ed harris rips it and he's as good as brad barr IMO. they were really on the forefront of the whole 'livetronica' movement with their sound in the late '90's and this is documented on their live album "alone at last". mike lowry is one of the best drummers out there bar none. now they're doing their indie thing which i totally dig and i think is a good move in terms of broadening their appeal and cementing their music as an ever growing entity.

i was really pissed at them a couple years back when they started to reject the jam scene(robbie k, in his west coast tour diary a couple years back, said something to the affect that LT mentioned how they'd never play with the slip again and this really made me mad at LT) , but, as my musical tastes have matured, i can totally see why they've done so. they've been able to transcend scenes and capture whole new audiences and this has definitely worked in their favor and has brought new life to their music. i was hatin' because of my own ignorance and inablity to change with the times(like alot of fans of a certain band we all like :shock: ).

i can't comment too much on the new album, i've intentionally avoided listening to the ecard because i really hate spoilers(to me, nothing is better than the anticipation of a new album, going to the store the day it's released and always remembering that first first time you put the cd in your stereo). but the guys were nice enough to give us two tentative singles a couple months back and i think it's some of their best work and i'm real excited to see what the future holds for them.
joe c

you really have to give a lot of respect for a band that can move like that as a unit, especially as for some it might mean giving up their time in the spotlight (ed as the flashy guitar player, mike lowry in the late '90s/early 00s--their sound at that time was, in my opinion, all about him and his breakbeats). how 5 guys could all agree on new directions multiple times is baffling to me.

i thought they were a lot more sophisticated than a lot of the other 'livetronica' groups, but maybe they are lucky to not have gotten really big with that sound as it gave them an avenue to move ahead into new things.
Interested

I like what I hear

I like what I hear on this stream of the new record. But I've never listened to anything by them before now -- any of their live shows on archive worth listening to?

By the way, saying someone is as good as Brad Barr is saying a lot -- I'd have to hear it to believe it -- especially since so much of what makes Brad great is in his vision, his ideas, rather than his chops/execution (which are still formidable, indeed).
tim
The Weight of Solomon

SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

There definately seems to be a bit of a backlash against the Jam scene and especially the 'jamband' term amongst some of the more conscious bands. esp. The Slip, Lake Trout, STS9. I have yet to hear any Lake Trout but I am dl-ing the Japan show as we speak.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

cd release party at the ottobar on 9/15

looks like they got themselves a cool little marketing company too..

nastylittleman.com

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

BUMP!

this came out yesterday, anyone care to review?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

new yorkers! check out this show and prepare your ass for a beating.

Wed 9…New York, NY…Mercury Lounge
217 E. Houston St.
212-260-4700
www.mercuryloungenyc.com
Tickets: $13 adv/$15 dos
Ages: 21
7:00pm Doors
8:00pm Shelby
9:00pm Benzos
10:00pm LAKE TROUT
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY