Page Intro

Questions, suggestions & site announcements.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Do we need a ModDan bot?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:58 pm

I've already got one on my site.
14%
No, that is not very nice.
14%
Well, I've considered it.
57%
I like Dan, he's alright.
14%

Total votes: 7

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Page Intro

wow.

It has been a long time since I have written

Great Phrazz stumbled upon a few great finds

Good fun

new
take care
francis
From the Gecko

that's pretty cool
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

the cleantone one will be setup sometime hoefully in the near future. How the hell did you find those?

I think we need a /dan one with tubgirl on it.
Robyn

Yeah, good job Phrazz. yay Phrazz!!! Phrazz ma taz in one cool cat...thanks man.
Katie
Invocation

In regard to the poll, can I pick 'D' All of the above? :twisted:
Last edited by Katie on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Re: Intro Page

Dan wrote: Also I stumbled upon a few great finds

(this might get modded i can tell)
you stumbled? or snooped? just like you snooped phrazzs pictures before he was done with them.

and if your intuition told you it would get modded, then that should have not posted that stuff.

think before you act, dan. your naive charm is wearing thin.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

why, cleantone, why??? just when you think you've forgotten about tubgirl there is always someone there to remind you.

personally, i think the lemonparty is more appropriate...

i'm not pissed though, just dissapointed that i wasn't able to actually put up my favorite girl on girl links and pics before the site was revealed.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I'm sorry, but this is priceless...

nice viking hat! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

if you werent such a puss, you could have seen it at nugroove and all good :D :P
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

There are somethings that just come to you.

Like reading the source to see where the picture came from.

sorry if thats so bad, but if its up its up you cant hide it from the net.

being bored i just tried it out with /phrazz and i got something so i tried everyones names and it worked and i was surprised and thought it was a very very good idea. It was neat seeing a community and i laughed alot at tims, cause it was original, and very differnet from the other subsites.

Peace
Dan
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Dan wrote:sorry if thats so bad, but if its up its up you cant hide it from the net.
you can't hide it but you can respect people's space, don't take it upon yourself to post other people's shit. if anyone wanted their page posted, i'm sure they would have posted it themselves. same goes for phrazz's pictues... if phrazz hasn't posted a gallery then it means it's not ready to be posted and PHRAZZ will post it when he's good and ready.

it's not that big of a deal but it does come down to common courtesy and having a little bit of couth.

being bored i just tried it out with /phrazz and i got something so i tried everyones names and it worked

you need to get a new hobby dude.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Sorry,

Now, I can see that it was something to keep to my self.

But i do think they are really cool. a good design.

have fun
dann
Phrazz

Sharing SlipLive Directories

Hi Dan,

Since you're somewhat technical, I feel it's useful to have this discussion now, and in the open (so others can learn from our expertise).

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this matter, and I certainly have my own. I am a little bit more "protective" about privacy than most, and I have some very sound reasons (which I gladly share in private or public).

From a fundamental standpoint, the private home directories on this server are only public if:

1. The user chooses to share this information with friends and family
2. Someone finds out by accident, follows a link, tries a probe, etc.

There are other ways these directories become "public" from a functional and other ways from operational standpoints. Techniques of data delivery and security are largely beyond the scope of this discussion, but are very relevant when talking about "public visibility".

By announcing what you have found, Dan, you are effectively rendering the privacy that might be desired worthless at that level. You might find that it's "cool", but it's possible others might not share this idea. Or they are not quite ready yet...whatever the reasons, if they don't broadcast their home page, they might not want it seen by Google.

Now Dan, you're sort of your own Google, and in a strange way, I appreciate that. In the sense that you are pointing out unknown mysteries about sites, you are also helping teach others what is possible as well as what is already done. In another sense, this is like a low-level security "report" and shows me that maybe these directories could or should be password-protected (which enhances the site).

However (please read this carefully), any attempts to access information that is not explicitly publicized (via email, URL posted or other volition of the owner of their web area) will be considered a probe and subject to advanced monitoring. When I "sense" someone is looking around, I take a bit more time scanning logs (and other techniques) to determine the extent and intent of such "snooping". I hope I make myself clear on this point. I take actions when deemed appropriate, but first try to talk to the individuals. Depending on the extent of the "probe" will largely help decide the extent of my "defense, investigation and correction".

From a less-legal standpoint, in terms of human social consicousness, I can forgive your transgresses because I know that you are young, and hopefully in time you'll learn that tact is needed in order to assist, enforce, enhance or allow privacy. Without tact (ie, discretion), people would be catty, snippy, snappy and crappy. I prefer people with tact (or at least can fake it well enough), and privacy and tact are very closely linked -- it's hard to talk about one without the other.

Now privacy and tact also are aspects of security, but also social evolution. If you want to evolve socially as well as technically, you have to learn to first be selective with how you share information. This I call the "don't blab to everyone" clause, which means take it to the individual before you take it to the group. Group discourse is a sensitive matter, but we take it all too casually, given the relative ease of communication that boards increase. This ease of communication can get overbearing, and take on ugly proportions way beyond just the two people involved.

In this case, there are also rights to privacy that are implied in other rights. We have to be very cognizant (vigilant even) about privacy and freedom of speech lest we tresspass on dangerous territory. For matters of privacy (and security, which are closely related), it is extremely important (critically important) in most cases to talk to the closest people first. If you have any doubt, just drop me an email and I'll give as objective a view as possible. If it's a group annoucement, I take extra care to also consult with my friends (Moderators, attorneys, etc) before I make any blatant bylaws. But in any case, flexibility is practical, though in matters of principle, my flexibility is quite meager.

So, for the principle itself, please don't advertise for other people unless they give you written (electronic or paper) permission.

Now Dan, when you say:

"if its up its up you cant hide it from the net"

This is a complex statement. Being on the Net means at least two people (or systems) can get to it, so if getting to it means "it's up" then you are correct. However, with passwords and such, these effectively "hide it" from the _rest_ of the Net, so effectively it denies access to those without the proper authentication credentials. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I think you know enough about security to know there are many ways to hide things from "the net".

I think we have to quantify these operative terms. "Hide it" may be different levels, the simplest of which is just not tell anyone where it is written. There are vast islands of URLs that are inaccessible (unfindable, not linked) from any search engine. Sure, these engines can try every possible combination, but after 8 or 10 alphas, the odds of finding it are slim and none (and they left town). The entire web is not indexed. All data is not on the net. These are other obvious areas where we can talk about what is a Net and all that crap, but at a certain point this gets so esoteric, we're talking about talk itself, and the snake eats its tail.

So, when you're bored and find stuff on SlipLive, please share it with only the Mods first. It is generally a bad idea to broadcast stuff without permission, even if it's just a URL. There are certain things you should really first check on, and this isn't limited to sharing photos that other people take, posting phone numbers or URLs or other areas of "direct marketing advertising".

What gets me about you, Dan, is that you seem so intent on advertising, you may feel the need to avertise for other people. You seem to think you're helping them out, and in the case of publicity, that can be good or bad. It's hard to say where the dice fall, but by throwing them, you need the money to back up your bet.

People (this means everyone, not just you) tend to post when they're bored, do things also when they're bored, get in trouble, too, or maybe create a masterpiece. Frankly, I would hope the level of discourse on this board is above the general noise level of the boards everywhere, but I guess as we get bigger we are going to turn into the other ones. I hope not, but maybe it's the evolution of Net discourse. I don't know, I can only guess what the future brings.

However, I do know what we can do to help each other, and a lot of this depends on tact and consideration, not just ingenuity and eagerness.

Obviously most of us know about View->Source and all that jazz, but this doesn't mean it's ok to spread it around like cashew butter on an all-grain bagel!

8) Phrazz
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

diesel wrote:if you werent such a puss, you could have seen it at nugroove and all good :D :P
*cough*Blow me*cough*

it's still classic... I think you'd even put a scare into this guy...

I'd really hate to see you rape and pillage.. I bet your theme music is from Soft Bulletin isn't it....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Re: Sharing SlipLive Directories

Phrazz wrote:...like cashew butter on an all-grain bagel!

8) Phrazz
That actually sounds pretty good... mmmmm... have you had it?
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!