2007.06.23 Slip @ Middle East

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

2007.06.23 Slip @ Middle East

I haven't found much discussion on the show on here. Anyone check it out besides me? I had a rockin good time. Lots of good covers were played. Where Is My Mind with Bobby Bare and Stand by Me with this saxophonist*. They closed with a rip roarin Heartbreaker.

The saxophonist played during another song. Other stuff played as I can remember it:

??? > Even Rats > Soft Machine Jam > Soft Machine, ???, Suffocation Keep, I Hate Love, Where is My Mind, two or three songs I can't remember, Children of December. The encore had stand by me and heartbreaker.

I hope someone got a tape of it, I had a great time.
Phrazz wrote: * sax player was Jim Hobbes of the Fully Celebrated Orchestra. For those who got there for the first openers, Jim treated us to some smokin'ly good playing from a band that's been together longer than BAM. Timo Shanko, another local Boston music mafia progenitor is the upright bassist for FCO and Django Carranza is their impeccable drummer. I highly recommend checking them out.

Note: someone did tape, and I'll let him chime in. Also, the primary (pro) taper who Cleantone assigned got frustrated when his stage mics were taken down due to space constraints, and didn't have the time or assistance to setup elsewhere before BAM started, so he bailed. Sorry, but taping is a motherfogging hard and sometimes impossible thing and clubs, fans and everyone else do very little to help them in a meangingful way (buy them a beer, carry shit, guard the mics, etc). No offense to the few who do help and I encourage everyone to support your local tapers!!!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i will get the full setlist up here but the opener was

more intense surveillance into lotsa sox into even rats i think
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

Dan, I will be very happy when you get that up thanks dude! :D

But yeah that show was pretty damn good. Among the top 10 shows I've seen them do for sure.

Dan, did you tape?
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i got a tape sadly I was asked not to circulate it.

correction, im not so sad that i wont circulate it because it really is a horrendous recording of vocals.

-Dan
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

Dan, and whoever Clinton assigned THANK YOU for taping. Phrazz has got some good points there...

And yes, FCO is tight. I've always dug anything Timo has been involved with.
Phrazz

bad tape due to mic location and crowding

Dan wrote:i got a tape sadly I was asked not to circulate it.

correction, im not so sad that i wont circulate it because it really is a horrendous recording of vocals.

-Dan
I feel bad for your efforts, Dan, and hopefully BAM won't play the Middle East again anytime soon. Paradise is a much better room and has far fewer meat-heads and better management (easier to sell out also due to its location). The crowding up front was extreme, and there wasn't time to fly mics on the ceiling to pick up the vocals off the mains. That AT doesn't have enough side coverage to get the monitors, even still, you don't know which ones have the best vocals until the show so it's an impossible situation.

Those five or six frat types who squashed everyone also didn't help matters and really had me "on guard" for most of the show. Luckily they didn't get worse, but they really bummed out a lot of people who were up front to enjoy the music peacefully and likely were Bonnaroo expatriates.

Thanks for remembering these main components of the setlist. I was too busy being a wall to even think about writing songs down, and I was even distracted for long periods of time to not want to be burdened with a camera (ie, essential to keep both hands ready for business). I have never felt such an aggressive scene front and center at a Slip show, but after wandering all over the room, I realized these few Jabroniswere perhaps the only ones in the whole room and hopefully will never go to a Slip show again (if Karmic Fate has its day in court, which I am confident it will -- I am not confident these clowns will ever learn, otherwise I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, which I always give at least once even to the most belligerent of clowns).

Now to explain further the lack of more chatter about this weekend, being up until 8 AM every morning may dissuade accurate or timely recollection. I can illustrate further with specifics, but I don't know you all well enough, and those who I do know well enough were already in the same Dawn Patrol caravan to sunrise (Fri & Sat. nights...DC doesn't belong in that category). So if we all had Way Too Much Fun, the stories may be late and laden with cobwebs. Hard to write things down when you lose your pen. [That's a metaphor, BTW.] :)

Anyhow, I sort of know how that tape will sound and can't blame it for not being released. You snooze, you lose. Middle East is not taper-friendly. After this last show, I'm not sure it is entirely BAM-friendly (though subtraction of drunken bullies may have made it more tolerable). The view from the stage and the view from the crowd are different -- and I'm still not sure if Marc hit the ceiling with his bass by accident or on purpose.

The Bowery is a much better room (and was a longer show). That's one of my favorite venues on the East Coast and has really brought some names that I would expect to play much larger rooms. My pick for best-for-BAM Boston venues is still the Paradise (until something better comes along). Landsdowne clubs get over too early and Somerville has too many seats. ;-} Plus, Paradise has those tiers and balcony so you can get good views from most any location, which spreads out the crowd and helps avoid pileups in the center. The Middle East's design I feel encourages crowding and the PA is oppressive as is the low ceiling and shoddy lighting. I doubt I will ever return to that pit of despair. In spite of all that bothered me and my friends personally, we still had a great time and the show was quite excellent (but Bowery was the best of the three shows I saw, overall).

-Phrazz

P.S.: Next Fully Celebrated show is:
July 2 - 10:30pm
Matt Murphy’s Pub
14 Harvard Street, Brookline, MA
Green Line D Train to ‘Brookline Village’ stop.
If you're in the area, do not miss this show!
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

glad to see more intense surveillance pop up, how is this where is my mind nonsense, sounds fun
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

Thanks for the clearing up stuff Phrazz. I actually got a copy of the setlist at the end of the night from Rubio but it's kind of hard to make out some of it. For instance I Hate Love is just a heart. Lotsa Socks is right on, but there's something else written. Maybe Mis/Socks? That would make sense for More Intense Survellance and Lotsa Socks.

I can probably scan it if people want to see it or if it will help put the actual setlist together.

Props to all the tapers. People like Cleantone and Dan deserve all the thanks they can get.

I was right up front and center about three rows back. I got kind of shoved around a little bit in the beginning of the set but overall didn't expierence that bad of a crowd. Last time at Paradise I was much more put off. I was next to a girl who wanted to leave after Life in Disguise and she bitched and moaned the whole night.

This time I was next to a few dudes were just chanting Friedman which I was willing to let slide. He also kept screaming for Dear Melina between songs and I can't complain because I dig that song. I didn't bother poking around the rest of the club though and I did notice it got quite crowded. Some cute girl kept smilin at me as I danced around but everytime she smiled her boyfriend gave me the "I'll kill you with a bottle." stare. That's the only thing that made me really uncomfortable.

So my crowd expierence wasn't as bad as Phrazz's. I had a rough time at Wilco last night though. I was behind 4 dudes who were more concerned about beer, weed and a Black Crowes show from 10 years ago then Wilco. They talked loud and when the music got louder they got louder. This lady next to me looked like she gonna cry during On & On & On. She wanted to hear it so bad but couldn't appreciate it because this jerk was talkin about how it felt like he was 21 again.

You know what here is the setlist transcribed form what I got:

Mis/Socks
Rats
SCI
Soft
Gaunt
Suff
(a heart drawn on the paper)
Mind
Belle
Broke
Dec
-BH
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

So...I'll get the ball rolling here...I know this is totally incomplete so far, but this is what I've drawn from these posts and my own (admittedly poor) memory...

More Intense Surveilance>
Lotsa Sox>
Even Rats
Portrait of a Scientist as a Young Man
Soft Machine
Gaunt Debutane
Suffocation Keep
I Hate Love
Where Is My Mind? (Pixies Cover, F/ Bobby Bare)
Ooh Belle
Broke The Promised Land
Children of December

Encore:
Stand By Me (F/ Jim Hobbes on Sax)
Heartbreaker
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

Not everything on that setlist was played and certainly not in that order. Rubio said when he handed it to me that it was close enough to what was played though.
-BH
tyler
From the Gecko

seems a bit weird to have those two ambient-ish numbers back to back to open the show, no?

but what do i know, i wasn't there. whoops. :(
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Thanks for taping Dan!!!!!!!!! Sorry it couldn't be circulated, I would love to hear it, bad vox and all... just jonesin' for the Slip but I'll be seeing them next weekend!!!!
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

i really wanna hear this pixies cover, its good choice, there is this helium balloon making a ton of noise in my house right now, we are the only two awake. :idea:
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
etahn
From the Gecko

Definitely MIS->Sox opener.

The rest looks pretty spot on, though I admit I didn't take notes during. The new tunes are hard for me to keep straight. is Scientist the one with "Words to a little song"? They played that one.

I'm also certain on Rats, Machine, Keep, Love, Mind, Broke, December, and the encores. They might have dropped Gaunt Debutante (curfew). Order eludes me.

Bear, where were you?
The world really is magic
stephen
Lion on a Rock

The Mid-East was a so so good time. The minute BAM took the stage, it seemed like a dozen super-tall frat boyz pushed their way to the front of the stage and blocked the views of everyone else there - everything was chill up to that point. Fellahs: I know you pay your $ just like the rest of us, but c'mon....

Also: I hadn't seen the Slip since last December and usually when I go a while without seeing them, they are musically leaps and bounds beyond where they were when I see them again. Not so much this time. They played pretty much the same songs they've been playing for over two years now and didn't have a lot new stuff to drop. They can still put it over convincingly, but I live for those moments where they take me someplace I've never been.

Did anyone else out there dig Bobby Bare as much as I did? I'd never heard of him before and he was a revelation! Swampy southern rock with a smokey dose of Morphine in the mix. I gotta look into this cat.

That's about all I have to add......