HSMF Slip set list and late night Surprise me

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bear
From the Gecko

HSMF Slip set list and late night Surprise me

7/6/07: Big Meadow Stage, HSMF - Quincy CA
Set 1: Airplane/Primitive, Even Rats, Broke the Promised Land, Suffocation Keep, Paper Birds, Children of December, Ooh Belle, The Soft Machine
Encore: Cumulus* > Weight of Solomon, Heartbreaker
Notes: * only played composed section (4 minutes or so) before going into the new Solomon. The boys got a nice word from Dave Margueles for being at HSMF for 10 years in a row, so they got to play a sick encore too!

7/6/07: Late night, Camp Harry set
1: Ambrosia Drunk, Unprotected Sex Song, I Hate Love, No Hurry, Fat King of Gods, Rich Man's Son*, How Stupid I Am, Snowed In, Rolling Home

* not sure of title. and probably missed some tunes at the end of the set, i stopped taking the list down. (i was using my cell phone because I lost my pen.) they loayed for about 2 hours from 1:30 - 3:30 am or so

I have the SMMD real leate night list in my setlist book at home, I'll post that soon. these were just in my cell's notepad now
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Thanks Bear. Hope fun was had by all. I also hope that tapers made the sets. I know some people planned on it.
etahn
From the Gecko

Bear, so great, so reliable.

Where's that Thighs setlist?
The world really is magic
francis
From the Gecko

rich man's son could be lyrics from "money, money, money"
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
lumpy
From the Gecko

Hey all. High Sierra was incredible as usual :)

Just a brief set of thoughts before I crash, with work early in the morning:

Camp Harry is alive and well! Thanks to all the folks over there for hosting such extraordinary after-hours music. Essentially, there was live music there from 11ish to whenever every night with different incarnations including:

-white thighs with brad barr, aimee curl, nathan moore. rocking version of "reeling in the years", torph did a great duet with aimee - nice job!
-surprise me mr. davis with guests. highlight for me was "snowed in" with aimee curl, maybe the high point of the weekend.
-brad on bass, aimee singing, nathan on keys, zack smith on drums - including a cover of stand by me.

The friday night "surprise" surprise me set was taped by 3-4 rigs...I think Harry rolled tape on another night as well? He'll fill us in I'm sure. The official sets were recorded by many...I bet there was tape rolling for the white thighs.

Nathan's troubadour session was recorded, and I hope gets shared - he only did 3-4 songs, but was fantastic.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Hey I just got back. The Surprise Me Vaudeville was off the hook, things got really crazy in the end. I'll try to write a more detailed review after I collect my marbles and listen to the tapes. I checked camp Harry a few times the first night but nothing was happening though I heard they had a good band earlier that got shut down.

Next day the Slip set was amazing! There might have been an intro to Airplane/Primitive, possibly lots of sox or just a jam. January (my fiancee) had folded a bunch of origami birds hung on a string of fishing wire which I put on Brad's mic before the set and they played (guess!) Paper Birds!!! Check out the pics when they show up, the birds are right there. Also they wore matching yellow t-shirts for the Slip set. Dave Marguiles was really sweet at the end, calling the Slip "the golden" thread woven through the tapestry of high sierra and that they play HSMF for the next 10 or something like that.

Surprise Me was at Camp Harry that night, preceded by a really good band called Stitchcraft I believe. Two girls, one with a fiddle and the other with a small guitar of some sort and drums. I did run my rig, haven't listened to the tape yet but there were a few other rigs there, I guess the word got around :)

Next night at Harry was fun too, I stumbled over there in the middle of the night and found Brad on Bass and Nathan on keys as said before. We also watched a guitar hero tournament (during setbreak for the white thighs??) at Camp Harry sitting next to Percy earlier in the evening.

High Sierra released the Surprise Me and Slip sets as SBD's so I'd highly recommend you all go and order them when they're available on the website. I haven't even listened to mine yet but these were two of the best sets I've heard them play. I plugged out of a nice Schoeps rig (Chuck) for SMMD and out of some Neumann's for The Slip and ran my Rode NT4 for the Camp Harry set. I will be seeding shortly.

Lots of other great music as well, New Mastersounds, Leftover, Les, Xavier Rudd, ThaMuseMeant, Garaj Mahal and Page (workshop and main-stage) jump to mind. Mama's Cookin' (whose website I do) were fun as well and real nice guys.

More after I settle in.... Saw Lumpy of course and his lovely girlfriend Roxy, magpie and John, torph and a bunch of other folks who I'm not sure are on the board (Dean (((Dream))), Greg (Mr. Hat) etc.). Sam did run sound for the Slip set but not SMMD, I was groovin' next to him for part of that set.

I did not tape the Brad/Bass & Nathan/Keys set both because I didn't feel like getting my rig and though the music was quite fun it was very loose and might not have held up well on tape. Andrew from jambase and I were yelling for Red Sky but Brad turned us down, saying they were "handicapped." (by their instruments I assume though I know I was pretty brain fried by that point.) Brad also played a song with another band earlier in the night which I couldn't place. I do remember they did One of Us Standing (which was quite different with the alternate instrumentation.) Also a few nathan tunes I knew but can't remember at all...

Anyway loads and loads of fun... Nathan was talking about High Sierra being a family reunion and it is so true, I saw literally hundreds of friends, many of whom I hadn't seen in a while.

Also the law was really light-handed unlike last year. I personally only saw cops twice the whole time, once driving through the site on wed. night before the festival and once driving by on the road outside. I heard there were some patrols with local citizens along for the ride but all in all it was a fairly law-enforcement free weekend as far as I saw...

More to come (and torrents!)

-Harry (not to be confused with the tree of the same name)
bear
From the Gecko

Thighs set Nathan sang "Long Bowel Serenade" with us and Aimee was duetting with tiz on "Look at Miss Ohio". How do thighs pull off sit-ins like that? luv it...

also if anyone has any pix of Nathan playing a black (fake) Tele at SMMD late night or Brad playing the same during "Even Rats" at the SLIPs set ,that would be sweet. Its my guitar and it'd be cool to get a shot of that...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
lumpy
From the Gecko

This one Bear?

http://pyite20v.zenfolio.com/p173840579?photo=543919841

This gallery of photos was linked from another site...and they seem to be from a friend of yours! You're in there a few times

I'm sorry I didn't see you this weekend - I'm not even sure how that's possible....Till next time.
soraparuq
Mudslide

"THE House Band" ROCKS HSMF!

soooo glad to be up there for some epic music from them...
reaaaaaaally such a gift of experiences always!
love them so much, & it's soo crazy they've been playin it for 10 years! Best.Houseband.Ever, fer sure!

It was quite HOT up there, much more so Sunday (& apparently Thurs., but luckily, i missed that day of 110 degrees)...& a dis-concerting, very large fire (i heard 11,500 acres Sat. from a USFS ranger in the natural foods store) that made things pretty smoky the last day.
heading to the ol' swimmin' holes (Oakland Camp!! w/ rope swing--seen in some of those pics) or the pool was ESSENTIAL...esp. Sunday, for me at least...it saved me both Sat & Sun...so refreshing. spent most of the rest of SatDAY in town, which was great, hangin at the Plumas Club, spinnin an inspired jukebox mix (a lil' Gambler, Outfield, Man in the Mirror, AC/DC et al) for the locals who were diggin' it (so, i'm not just sayin' so myself ;) & eatin at Moons, which I'd highly recommend.

The SMMD late night kicked things off IN total STYLE for us!!!...was just so glad to get up there & settled in...and my friend rolled in JUST in time, capturing a lot of video on her phone so we'll see how that turned out & i'll try to post some if it's decent. She also painted a beautiful improv piece during The Slip's Meadow set the next night.

That 1st song (from Vaudeville) is apparently called Skull & Bones, as Nathan told me (his song, as I recall) during Aimee's artist playshop w/ the Mammals, Ashleigh Flynn, & another guy (5 total...Brett Dennen and a friend Tom Freund were listed, but not there---Brett did an EPICly gorgeous long set right after w/ Lebo & Steve from ALO and another drummer--i recommend this set highly...first whole set I'd heard of Brett's and they really just didn't miss from start to finish, great to hear right then)...

i also mention the playshop b/c Aimee covered Lonely Boy while all of SMMD listened on. Brad said it was the first time he'd ever heard someone else do one of his songs solo...besides him...he thought!! IT WAS SWEEEEEEET. Her voice/songs definitely made me cry several times during that very nice semi-spontaneous set, and she was playing Nathan's acoustic "This Machine Fights Terrorism."!!!
(actually, that guitar got ALOTTA play up there last wkend, w/ Brad playin it quite a bit on & off stage, even walkin around playin in the middle of the road post-SMMD late night, by where a few of us were still Twisterin' in the early a.m. hours...along w/, of course, the topless girl who was Everywhere the boys were that night!...they did a few acapella things, including The Last One Ever, that whoever was standin around, & knew it, all sang---that 5am happenstance interlude was a simple lil' wonderful :)

ditto...Camp Harry is THE BOMB...much preferred being there then at the other late nights, & in fact only caught some of two other Vaudeville late nights, Bassnectar & Dumpstaphunk (who really did FUNK IT UP w/ sit-ins by SoulLive guys & Anders Osborne harmonizin' a short while) before headin to C.H. for some awesome late SMMD action.

bottom line, too...Brad Barr was the biggest rock* there!...8) royally ragin it up during many points of the Vaudeville set (this set was REALLY interesting to me...a lot of great interplay btwn them, and Brad took some major solos throughout the whole show, some pretty dissonant and far out stuff, & breaking out a bottleneck during the latter half of the encore), and of course during Heartbreaker, esp. I thought Paper Birds was SPECTACULAR at the Meadow set (by that time, a lot of the sound kinks that Brad wasn't pleased w/ at least w/ his set up, were worked out), and damn, WEIGHT of Solomon was OUTstanding to these ears....such great fun into Heartbreaker! unfortunately, OooBelle didn't work out quite so well, in that setting, as i've heard it before.

REALLY wish i wouldn't have missed their earlier impromptu set w/ (Surprise ME attendee) Zach!! on drums, Brad on bass, et al. wonder if anyone taped that?? would love to hear if so.
did this happen before ALO?? i caught a bit of that, and then didn't get back til later. so, glad to catch the last 1/2 ol' White Thighs live, all up close & personal, too...ending w/ a Travelling Willbury's cover--which i can't remember. ??

ONLY time, crazily, i even made it into the mainstage area was for Les a while...we were camped back there tho, so got to hear some other sets...shoutout to Galactic kick startin' the fest for me from there, ThaMusement & Mama's Cookin' the next day, Chicago Afrobeat Project also sounded good on mainstage from camp.
Fav new discovered band (in Vaudeville Fri.)= Devil Makes 3 from Santa Cruz (girl playin upright bass has a HUGE longhorn skull tattoo across her upper chest!)

alrighty, well, there's my partial Gonzo account... reporting in & out post-High Sierra w/ a tip o' the hat to Hunter S....signing off slipsters...but wishing i could just jump on the Slip/SMMD bus for the next tour & that it was like.... tomorrow....aiayaiaayai!
XOXO
Last edited by soraparuq on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

SMMD Vaudeville Stage 7/5 Setlist:

drums > Skull and Bones*, You Don't Have To Say You're Sorry 'till You Go, Everything Must Go, When a Woman, Rubber Ball, Cloudy Skies, Sleepyhead, Summer of My Fall, Intimate Secretary, Holly Would, One of Us Standing, E: I Want To Get To Heaven Before I Die, Last One Ever > 19th Nervous Breakdown
* with Michael Travis on step-ladder, Brad on snare-drum & cigarette

Surprise Me Camp Harry Friday Night 7/6 (or 7) Full List:

Ambrosia Drunk > Unprotected Sex Song*, To You, I Hate Love, No Hurry to Get to Heaven, Fat King of Gods* , Money Money Money, How Stupid I Am, Mardi Gras Song*, Snowed In*, Poor Boy, Exploding Pen*, One of Us Standing. Encore: Rolling Home**
* with Aimee Curl on vocals ** power outage in middle of song
ScS
From the Gecko

there's the fat king of gods. thanks harry for getting it up so quick and bear for throwing the setlist out there.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
etahn
From the Gecko

Re: "THE House Band" ROCKS HSMF!

soraparuq wrote:so, glad to catch the last 1/2 ol' White Thighs live, all up close & personal, too...ending w/ a Travelling Willbury's cover--which i can't remember. ??
Maybe "Handle With Care"?
The world really is magic
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

oh yeah, you're right... was it "end of the line", or "handle with care"?
i don't remember either, i just remember that i was singing along, heheh...
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

if they did handle with care and it was recorded ill cry to get a copy.
putty
From the Gecko

i'm sure you know this already, but Jenny Lewis' most recent album has a really good version of Handle With Care.