Kaki King 4/5

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

Kaki King 4/5

saw Kaki King last night at Higher Ground. damn she's really gotten good, hasn't she. her instrumentals with a full band sound like some sort of virtuosic take on Tortoise, and she's also become quite a talented singer-songwriter as well. she played a little of her older solo acoustic stuff that started to lose me a bit, but on the whole it was a really great show.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

I was up in the Burlington area and noticed that Kaki was playing and I was free that night so I decided to check it out. I was actually very disappointed. I didn't particularly like her band. The few of her older tunes were the sole highlights, if you ask me (i.e. Doing the Wrong Thing). Even then, they were kinda sloppy, by Kaki standards. She has been one of my favorite guitarists for the past several years but i didn't think that she wanted to be there.

something was missing.
bitchtits
Alsoa

I saw Kaki King in 05 at NuGroove festival at Echo lake NY, it was a late night set i think right before Raq played. She was all by herself, maybe it was the magic of being in the middle of nowhere and seeing music but it was a good set. The Slip and The Duo were there as well 8)
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

tyler
From the Gecko

Big Bob wrote:I was up in the Burlington area and noticed that Kaki was playing and I was free that night so I decided to check it out. I was actually very disappointed. I didn't particularly like her band. The few of her older tunes were the sole highlights, if you ask me (i.e. Doing the Wrong Thing). Even then, they were kinda sloppy, by Kaki standards. She has been one of my favorite guitarists for the past several years but i didn't think that she wanted to be there.

something was missing.
probably just a matter of preference. I went with two other people, one said that she liked Kaki's solo guitar stuff much better, the other one really liked the songs that she was singing on. I think the full-band stuff is more complete musically and more sonically interesting. But I'm generally turned off by virtuosic playing because I don't play guitar and I don't like to listen to that sort of thing.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

9/4/06 last time I have seen or recorded her. It's got 15,000 downloads and not one review or rating. Feel free to change that.

8/6/05 Nugroove mentioned above

4/4/08 Burlington mentioned above

she is playing at Pearl Street tonight. I am sick and just spent 17 hours at that club over the last two days. So I am staying home.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

bitchtits wrote:I saw Kaki King in 05 at NuGroove festival at Echo lake NY, it was a late night set i think right before Raq played. She was all by herself, maybe it was the magic of being in the middle of nowhere and seeing music but it was a good set. The Slip and The Duo were there as well 8)
I was at this show as well but my trip was peaking during her set and it was way too much to handle at that point. I should give her another listen though. Brothers Past's set was awesome at this festival.