SMMD - 4/22 Narrows CFtA, Fall River, MA

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

tyler wrote:Marc lives in Brooklyn right? he should befriend a Pitchfork writer.
it worked for Vampire Weekend. :lol:
worked for who?
The world really is magic
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

SMMD By the Numbers

SMMD by the numbers.... (thanks to SlipBase for help, not 100% sure on my numbers...) This is not counting the Nathan/Slip set from HSMF 2003, which I don't think I heard in person and certainly don't have a tape of and I think might be a bit early to call Mr. Davis. This is also not counting the wedding band which I think is a different entity.

Total shows - 46 (average 9.2 shows a year, though to be fair 2008 isn't over yet...) I have been to 9 myself (not counting HSMF '05 which I listened to in the back of our camper on the radio b/c I was so exhausted) which means I've been to almost 1/5th of all Davis shows!

By Year:
2004 (11 shows)
2005 (19 shows)
2006 (3 shows)
2007 (7 shows)
2008 (6 shows)

By State:
CA 16
MA 8
NY 7
VT 5
RI 2
OR 2
CT 1
PA 1
ME 1
VA 1
WA 1
Canada 1

So it's no surprise they are so popular in Cali, even though 7 of the 16 shows are at High Sierra. They've only played more than one show (in 4 years!) in 6 states and 39 states are completely unrepresented.

What actually is rather remarkable is that they are able to fill rooms as much as they can based on what they've done and considering that the only recording that is widely available on iTunes or Amazon is the debut record, which I love but which really isn't representative of what they do these days, which was from 4 years ago... Also very little media coverage. Sure there's a lot of overlap with Slip and ThaMuseMeant fans but their popularity as it is is a testament to the power of their music, their fans and a little word of mouth...

Also even if they play a show in Great Barrington to 20 people (and Great Barrington isn't really any metropolis...) then if 50 people download the torrent and 50 people download mp3's within a week that's at least a couple hundred folks listening to it not only a week since it was played. For whoever is in the audience there is an exponential number of people getting turned on to the band from stories, reviews, photos, tapes, good vibes, etc...

I think I am analyzing too much, the election has gotten to me... All of my superdelgates go to Mr. Davis...

GoBama!!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

etahn wrote:
tyler wrote:Marc lives in Brooklyn right? he should befriend a Pitchfork writer.
it worked for Vampire Weekend. :lol:
worked for who?
just be thankful you're one of the last 5 people not to know who.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

thanks for the breakdown Harry, thanks for your efforts. I am a stat's kind of guy, I love it!