Burlington Surprises Mr. Davis

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

percyboyd
Tenfold

Burlington Surprises Mr. Davis

<font size="3"><b>Burlington Saves the Day</b></font>

The members of Surprise Me Mr. Davis had planned on convening in Montreal for a week of studio experiments, pointing towards their next long playing recording. But after one diverted flight, one missing suit case, many miles and ultimately getting refused at the border, they found themselves helpless in Burlington. It wasn't long, however, until the good people of this northern state began chiming in, stepping up, and ideas were flying. The proverbial cookie crumbled in such a graceful design, and the 4 Mr. Davis deciples found themselves tracking their audio playthings at the home/barn studio of Burlington's beloved Brett Hughes.

The story is much longer and better than that, but the point of this message is to let you know that Marc, Brad and Nathan will be putting on a show at <a href="http://www.parimathai.com/">Parima Thai </a> (the listening room) on Sunday night, August 3 at 9pm.
$10.

BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

SWEET! That certainly changes the outlook of my weekend.
lumpy
From the Gecko

where's androo? In the missing suitcase?
tyler
From the Gecko

HOLY CRAP
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Whoa... refused at the border!

I hope this is the genesis of some amazing music! Wish I were there for the show Sunday...
Katie
Invocation

Woo hoo!

For anyone going, I advise to get there early! If it's in the acoustic lounge, that room is small and it was completely packed for Nathan's last show there.
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Boy, I wish I lived in VT ;}
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

thanks Katie. I got to Nathan's set at the Radio Bean an hour early and still had to stand. How big is this place?
bear
From the Gecko

anyone taping?
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
Katie
Invocation

I'd say it's about the same size as the Bean, but the bar is in the main part of the restaurant so there's a little more seating and standing room. Definitely an intimate room.

Not sure if I know anyone who can tape, but I'll ask around.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Wow, what a incredible evening. No Andrew last night. I missed him at first but then very quickly realized that this evening was going to be unique. Although Brad and Marc were electric, their sound last night was sort of unplugged. Parima is small room, but really nice, a lot of detail and decor. I thought the crowd last night was awesome, everyone was quiet and really listening. When it was all over it seemed as if no one wanted to leave. Musically, I can't recall the setlist, they played so much material. The first set was all of the new stuff that they just recorded. Mostly the new songs from last spring. The second set they opened it up with a wide variety of songs, a new one, some SMMD archive, a few Nathan songs, and a cover. They played "Honey" with the girl Johnny playing a saw and Marc bouncing back and forth between bass and piano. Never seen a saw played before, it added a very cool element to the song. I wish I could add more but I am working on 4 plus hours of sleep and not looking forward to the grind. But holy sh*t, what a night!
Katie
Invocation

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, that made my week. The crowd interaction was great, it reminded me of the Brad & Nathan solo show at the Radio Bean in '04. They played well, and in a room that small it wasn't so noticeable that Andrew was missing. (He wouldn't have been able to fit much more than a snare drum in there anyway.) He had plans up in Montreal so they had recorded his tracks first, earlier in the week.

My apologies for not getting a setlist either... at the moment the only part I remember in sequence is the encore, which was Snowed In (*with performance poetry by Trev (?)), Rolling Home and Poor Boy. At least I think that's what the encore was... it was a little late for a Sunday.

ps: There were two tapers. 8)
tyler
From the Gecko

would've loved to have joined in the fun, but it was 21+, and I'm 20, and thus they wouldn't let me in. super lame. wish they had played the Radio Bean instead.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

ps: There were two tapers.
Woo hoo! Anyone know who they are or if they are planning on torrenting?
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

I only saw one taper, but then again I was way up front. His rig was set up right next to my table. I felt it was my civic duty to restrain my "Yeah's" so they wouldn't blurb his recording efforts. I am not sure who he is though, I think I saw him taping Nathan at the Radio Bean show last April. I talked to him a bit last night, nice guy, but I didn't catch his name. I'd love to hear the show again, that's for sure.