The Slip at Lupos w/ Marco Solo

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

rubio
Tenfold

The Slip at Lupos w/ Marco Solo

Just wanted to let ya'll know that this is an early show, this saturday!

Schedule is as follows:
Doors at 6
Marco at 7
Slip at 8

See ya there !
rubio
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Itching for a setlist!
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

looks like we gotta wait till morning bud
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

In no specific order

D'Gary
Airplane/Primitive
Fuji (w/ Marco)
Davis tune (didn't know this one)
STTN
That Love Ain't Enough (or is it true love?...I forget)
CoD
Let There Be Horses
Soft Machine
Even Rats

encore:
England (w/ Marco)
Heartbreaker (w/ Marco)

and I think that'll do it.

I was a little disappointed. The show was very much the same of late, and it really seems like they're not putting in any effort to give some variety. I figured a Providence show would ooze with dynamics. But it simply didn't have anything to offer that slip fans haven't heard at a lot of their recent shows (which for me has been the paradise in dec '08 and june '09). Even those set lists had some gems in them (tinderbox, solomon, dear melina, autobody experience...). I mean, I love some of the eisenhower tunes, but playing them over and over like the album just came out a month ago doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for a 2006 piece.

Oh well. I guess at this point the only thing I can expect of the slip is to put out their new album and turn full swing to SMMD.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

yah you really think given the nature of the show the setlist would have been a bit more varied...nice to see STTN and Heartbreaker back in the mix, as well as Marco sitting in a bunch but a few gems thrown in would be appreciated...either that or a bit longer of a setlist

i guess we'll have to wait until NYE to see if The Slip really throws down a long show with a beauty of a setlist....only another full month of waiting to go (didn't I just wait like this....?)
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I also feel there is a great crop of stellar '06-07 tunes which have been mostly ignored in the limited '08-09 outings. Songs like Gaunt Debutante, All I Saw Was You, Ooh Belle, There's A Lie, Portrait of a Scientist, etc. It is good to see Let There Be Horses on that list, I feel like that one hasn't been played by The Slip in a good long while.

2008 and 2009 have been hard years to be a Slip fan for sure.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

The last time they played Let There Be Horses as rather recent, considering the consistency of slip shows recently...it was at the World Cafe in Philly.

I agree with the gems that are from '06-'07 though. But I feel like those tunes are more reserved for other projects, like Super Little or SMMD.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

its wild how many bands these guys have...my brother is always so confused as to why they don't just focus on ONE project instead of 4, considering how many of the songs overlap between bands
tyler
From the Gecko

re: the setlist, I think Even Rats was played third, Children of December was the last song before the encore, there was another new song (a slow acoustic one) after Let There Be Horses. The SMMD tune was the one that I think is called Papa Came Rolling Home.

Have to agree that the setlist was kind of disappointing...I've heard all of those songs so many times now that I'm getting bored of most of them. Having said that, I liked the new songs a lot, especially England and That Love Ain't Enough. I hadn't heard any of the new material from the shows earlier this year so they were all new to my ears last night. And Children of December will never ever get old to me.

since they haven't been playing many Slip shows of late, I'm guessing that they're just sticking with the most familiar material to them right now, and that if/when they start doing longer tours again as The Slip they'll start dropping in more rare tunes. maybe I'm just being optimistic. I am excited to see where these new songs and a new album end up going though, and I hope some of those 06-07 songs as previously mentioned are still in the mix, because those never really got their chance.
etahn
From the Gecko

The (nasty) davis tune in question is called If You Knew. And it's so freakin dirty it makes me cringe.
The world really is magic
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

safe to assume nobody taped this one? i guess we can't have them all! i totally appreciate all the work clinton and the rest of the slip tapers have done in the past, honestly can't thank you guys enough.
if any of you went to this show i hope you enjoyed the change of pace of watching the boys with out the headache of running gear (i'm simply assuming its a headache)
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

This was taped by Cleantone and another unknown audience taper. I don't believe the band wants Cleantone distributing his recording but we could get lucky if the other guy posts something.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

hmm does that mean it was a realllyyyy good performance or a not so hot show
bear
From the Gecko

the unknown tune after Let There be Horses was "Set Those To Burning" aka The Chasers which they played at HSMF in '08. I LOVE that tune and am psyched they brought it back. The show was good but setlist was bland. STTN was great and the energy level and room filled up as the show went on. it was an early show so that could have led to the slow infiltration of people. the Marco set was basically background music for a cocktail hour, which although pleasant was kind of pointless. I wish the boys still played two set shows. It would be easier for me to forgive all the same old eisenhower material if they played more than 13 songs

I had a lot of fun at the show but sandwiched between 2 stellar phish shows was tough. Lack of a light show and a show length barely longer than one phish set is tough. Its all about Surprise me these days...

revised set list:
D'Gary
Airplane/Primitive
Even Rats
If You Knew
Fuji (w/ Marco)
STTN >
Love Ain't Enough
Soft Machine
Let There Be Horses*
Set Those To Burning*
Children of December

encore:
England (w/ Marco)
Heartbreaker (w/ Marco)

* Brad on acoustic. Heartbreaker was played "by request of the drummer"
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

It is cool that Set Those To Burning (The Chasers) is back, I was just thinking about that song the other day!