Barr Brothers - 9/5/10 Firehouse 13, Providence, RI

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

stephen
Lion on a Rock

What can I say...I was at the Firehouse show and it tasted like a wheat crip when what I wanted was a real potato chip. It was pleasant music and all, but maybe I got used to these guys blowing my mind. I hope they got this Dan Fogleberg stuff out of their system so they can rock again.
Katie
Invocation

stephen wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't understand why the Slip was shelved in favor of this weak sauce. Way too mellow for my tastes....
Not going to try and persuade you on your opinion on the Barr Brothers music... but I don't think the Slip has been shelved. It's just not the only thing going on anymore. I had a conversation with Brad after the Parima show about what he's been up to lately, and it sounds to me like music as the Slip is still on the horizon.

Setlist for Burlington was pretty much the same as Providence. There was a taper though. Keep an eye on this site: http://www.vermontlivemusic.com/ (You'll find last May's Parima show there as well.)
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

stephen wrote:What can I say...I was at the Firehouse show and it tasted like a wheat crip when what I wanted was a real potato chip. It was pleasant music and all, but maybe I got used to these guys blowing my mind. I hope they got this Dan Fogleberg stuff out of their system so they can rock again.
I don't know when they'll rock as The Slip again. Everyone is doing their own thing as far as I've heard, and they're quite centric to SMMD and the Barr Brothers right now, including more collaborations with Marco. They're bringing in new and old to their current direction. I personally dig it a lot.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

stephen wrote:What can I say...I was at the Firehouse show and it tasted like a wheat crip when what I wanted was a real potato chip. It was pleasant music and all, but maybe I got used to these guys blowing my mind. I hope they got this Dan Fogleberg stuff out of their system so they can rock again.
I, too, often find myself reminiscing about the old days of the SLiP. However, my advice would be not to miss out on this beautiful music because you are too busy wishing it was the SLiP. but if you don't like it then you don't like it.

edit: clarity
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Big Bob wrote:
I, too, often find myself reminiscing about the old days of the SLiP. However, my advice would be not to miss out on this beautiful music because you are too busy wishing it was the SLiP. but if you don't like it then you don't like it.

edit: clarity
the thing was even when they were touring as the Slip a few years ago, the complaints were why is every set the exact same thing and how many times are we going to have to hear even rats and children of december. Its kinda a lose lose situation. As much as I love going to Slip shows, personally i was tired of hearing those songs. I would have loved for the Slip to go back to its more jazz/blues ways but those days may be over. I look forward to these new shows that come out, but hope some day the slip will return